Thread: Ryan's Mammoth Collection in TAB? Recommended Fiddle Tunes Books?

Default Ryan's Mammoth Collection in TAB? Recommended Fiddle Tunes Books?

Hi All,

Does anyone know if there is a TAB version of "Ryan's Mammoth Collection"? I have been working through a couple of tunes transcribed into tab with my mandolin teacher and I have been loving the tunes we have worked through. I'd love to learn more, but I don't read notation...

I'd also welcome any feedback on the Kaufman fiddle tunes A-Z books. And/ or any other favorite collections available in tab that you all have had fun/ studied with.

Thanks so much & Happy Thanksgiving!

Chris

Default Re: Ryan's Mammoth Collection in TAB? Recommended Fiddle Tunes Bo

Can your teacher teach you to read standard notation? It will open a whole world of music to you as a mandolinist, including all violin and fiddle music.

Nothing against tab, lute players have used it since the Renaissance, but most music literature is available in staff notation and thus I highly recommend learning to read music.

Plus, the mandolin has its own history of notated music that is worth being able to access.

Just my 2 cents worth as a mandolin player and music educator.

I sort of skipped tab for mandolin, as either I learn folk stuff by ear, no tab nor notation, or I read music for the other stuff. Frankly even on guitar I prefer staff notation to tab, the only thing I can read OK in tab is lute music.

3. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Learning to read notation will take 2-4 weeks of regular practice, then it is a skill you have for life.

I'm a fiddler and have read most all the tunes in Ryan's. A LOT of great tunes. Called the Fiddlers Bible for good reason!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

I have a related publication, Cole's 1000 Fiddle tunes, and made it a goal to play all the hornpipes, no matter what tempo, at least play all the notes. It did great things for my ability to read notes. If you can read notes, it is a big advantage. One thing I found is that there are a lot of patterns that are repeated in fiddle tunes, and to me they are much easier to recognize in standard notation than with tablature. You can often see a group or 4 to 8 notes and recognize it.

I often combine tab and notes through Tabledit, especially if there is some crazy timing. You can enter things in either tab or standard notation, and you do it at a pace that helps it sink in. I think I have about 50 of Cole's tunes in Tabledit somewhere, (another project) but I gave up and just played them.

Learning to read standard notation and becoming proficient with Tabledit took a lot of time, but to me it was time well spent.

Spencer

Thanks for all of your comments! I have decided to begin the process of learning how to read notation! Excited to begin the journey. Thanks for the push!

Good luck, I started a year ago and you pick enough for basic fiddle tunes really quickly. Just remember to FACE the fact that Every Good Boy Deserves Favour.

(EGBDF are the notes on the lines and F A C and E the notes in the gaps between them)

Quote Originally Posted by derbex View Post
    Good luck, I started a year ago and you pick enough for basic fiddle tunes really quickly. Just remember to FACE the fact that Every Good Boy Deserves Favour.

(EGBDF are the notes on the lines and F A C and E the notes in the gaps between them)
    EGBDF are the notes on the lines -

Every good boy deserves favour (British)

Every good boy does fine (American)