Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thanksgiving Thoughts

Default Re: Thanksgiving Thoughts

At least I don't have to deal with a week of T'giving leftovers. Turkey sandwiches, turkey shakes, turkeysickles. You get tired of it after a while!

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I get tired of it after about two weeks. But by then it's all eaten.

There's something you have to keep in mind, and I'm pretty sure fellow soup nut JeffD will agree with me, or at least understand: the roast turkey is just the first step in making turkey soup.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Roast turkey soup is a joy! Deep fried turkey soup, not so much. I might have to roast another bird in a while.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

AKA Billgrass

I guess I want to get back to the basics on this thread. Mandolin café is a respite for me from the stress of my day. I probably spend too much time with Scott and all the guys as opposed to actually working on my mandolin technique. But I am very happy that I discovered the café. This little instrument and this community is a joy for me. I am thankful for all that you bring into my day. Happy Thanksgiving and I wish all of you the best of holiday seasons.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billgrass For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

It seemed fitting and proper to bump up a thread of this topic and nature today, rather than start a new one. There were plenty to choose from, for one, and this one contains not only a whale of a story from yours truly that I'd pretty much forgotten, and so found amusing in retrospect, but plenty of other contributions worthy of re-reading. And a side benefit is I posted so much earlier that I'll spare all y'all from adding to it much, getting out of the way so others can tell their stories.

I'll just say I'm thankful for plenty, but mostly three things. First, that I'm here to celebrate this commemoration of gratitude. It was touch and go there in August, when I had some sudden health issues that led to open heart surgery. It's taken a while, but I've been recovering pretty well. Getting doctor's orders to make sure I get enough rest was all I needed to feel good about spending more time playing mandolin and hanging around with you fine folks. I'm also thankful I'd gotten on Medicare a few years ago and added supplemental health insurance just a couple of months before all that happened. So nearly all my expenses are covered. For once I planned ahead well, though part of that was just luck. I'll take it, though.

Also, recent circumstances led to me having a bit of disposal income, which I promptly disposed of by purchasing a couple of fine mandolins, the sort which I'd been wanting for a long time but couldn't afford until now. I'm glad I did that rather than spend the windfall on more practical things, like a reliable vehicle or some such. Music is the food of love, not transportation. Though if the van is rocking ... Call AAA, the shocks have finally gone.

Finally, I'm thankful I've been able to acquire the technology and know-how to operate it so I can delve into some recording projects that have been languishing for far too long. Along with that, the time to devote to these tasks. Retiring and staying home provided ample opportunities to get moving on this, and the health scare added motivation to do what I want while I can. I'm close to finishing an EP, and then I'm going to get going on an album.

OK, four things. As always, I'm grateful for the Mandolin Café in all its ragtag glory, most of the members I've met through it, and all the work Scott, Mike, Ted, Jamie, Dan, and I'm not sure who else, do to create and maintain this meeting place and wealth of knowledge. I've learned so much here, and enjoyed it so much, and also am glad I've had a forum where I can share some of what I have to offer with a few of the people in this world who care about such matters and hopefully understand a good portion of them.

I hope everyone has a great day filled with gratitude for the good things in life. Let's all be mindful of them the year round.
    Last edited by journeybear; Nov-25-2021 at 1:44pm. Reason: thought of something else

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Thanks to all for being here!
    Eastman 515 Mando
    Gibson J-30 Guitar
    RK-80 Banjo

Thanks to the Cafe and all that make it work! Might be playing "turkey in the straw", "great big taters in the sandy land" and "squirrel heads and gravy" tonight.
    Last edited by Charles E.; Nov-25-2021 at 7:50pm.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Though I am a bit newer to the Mandolin Cafe, it is a wonderful place to come in, sit down, be entertained and educated by some pretty darned awesome folks. Thank y'all for your willingness to share and for you being very interesting and pretty lively folks. As for Thanksgiving Day, my sons coated a whole turkey and a turkey breast with Tony Chachere's and deep fried them. I'm never going back to baked turkey if I can help it; these were the height of perfection, imho. As a diabetic, however, I limited myself to turkey and green beans; no pie, cobbler, or mashed spuds (that was the hardest part). Meanwhile, while I am sitting here writing this, I'm listening to Claire Lynch singing "Second Wind"--love her voice! Oh, and the other cool thing happening in my life is that I am retiring on Tuesday from 49 years plus an additional 4 in the service. My retirement plan has two items: 1. Spend time with the family; 2. Spend copious hours with the mandolin. Wow, can't wait!!! ..Old Dog Dave
    Old Dog Dave: Do the best you can, as long as you can, and all the rest is gravy.

1918 Gibson A Oval hole
    2004 Gibson F9
    2004 Gibson A9
    Weber Gallatin A
    Bruhn double-point
    The Epiphone MM-30
    Dillion Electric (Rickenbacker style)

10. The following members say thank you to Old Dog Dave for this post:

Every one play 'Turkey in the Straw', for the freshly , but delicious, departed.. at least once..
    for their sacrifice.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

12. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Blog Entries

Nah. Gonna pass on that. But I think I'll play "Alice's Restaurant." Arlo's retired; someone's got to keep it going.

Just reiterating my thoughts of seven years ago.

Spent Thanksgiving in Boston/Cambridge with kids and grandkids. Took my Strad-O-Lin and a no-name baritone ukulele along to make a bit of music here and there. Came back to a bevy of Chanukah gigs with my long-term sidekick Bonnie (actually, I'm her sidekick), and mandolin and mandola will be well-featured.

Long strange trip it's been, but more to come, one hopes. Happy Thanksgiving, and many happy returns...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

I hope you sing Adam Sandler's "Hanukkah Song." It might be different from your usual types of songs, but it should get a good reaction.

Probably too long all together, and there's some political content ... but pick and choose what you like from these.

Oh, and be on guard for language bombs.

He's updated it a couple of times (at least) over the years.