Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving Thoughts

Default Thanksgiving Thoughts

Just wanted to express my thanks directly to all the Cafe´members who make this site a daily "must-visit" for me, and to Scott T and the moderators for keeping it civil, informative, pleasantly interactive, and friendly.

Passing into an eighth (!) decade, with music increasingly central in my daily activities, I've found Mandolin Cafe´a safe, supportive place for discussion, expression, research, assistance and usually-polite disagreements.

Wishing all other Cafe´members, visitors and lurkers a happy holiday; hope your Thanksgiving is harmonious!
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

2. The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Thanksgiving Thoughts

How nice Allen,
    I too am quite thankful for the huge amount of work Scott and the moderators put into this site. I will be listening to mandolin music whilst deep frying turkey, macaroni and cheese, dill pickles and Twinkies this afternoon.
    A jolly over feasting to all!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Amen. The 8 strings keep me sane.

Happy Thanksgiving! Turkey's in the oven!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    How nice Allen,
    I too am quite thankful for the huge amount of work Scott and the moderators put into this site. I will be listening to mandolin music whilst deep frying turkey, macaroni and cheese, dill pickles and Twinkies this afternoon.
    A jolly over feasting to all!
    Tim, I am getting you some Pepto Bismol for the holidays!
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

6. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

Bark first, Bite later Steve Zawacki's Avatar

Hear, Hear! There's a lot of reasons for thanks, and one is the camaraderie of groups like this one.
    ...Steve

Current Stable: Two Tenor Guitars (Martin 515, Blueridge BR-40T), a Tenor Banjo (Deering GoodTime 17-Fret), a Mandolin (Burgess #7). two Banjo-Ukes and five Ukuleles..

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Well said Allen

In a world were there seems to be less civility by the day. The Cafe is refuge from the nonsense of the social media and the 24 hour news cycle. It is one of the true blessings of the internet age.

Have a safe and Happy Holiday.
    Last edited by nickster60; Nov-27-2014 at 12:27pm.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nickster60 For This Useful Post:

Be thankful you are involved in the arts!

I am very Thankful for the gift of music that God has given us, and thankful for the Cafe. May each of you have a warm and Blessed Thanksgiving!
    Kentucky KM-1050 2021
    Pava Satin A 2018 #272
    Gibson A 1916 #25861 FON 2626

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gene Summers For This Useful Post:

Jaycat, thanks for the thought, two pickles, two Mac and cheese,ten popcorn shrimp,two tbsp each stuffing, mashed and sweet, about ten Brussels sprouts and as yet, NO pie! Don't need the PeptoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	266.4 KB 
ID:	126955
    Here's the mac
    Timothy F. Lewis

That's the turkey here's the Mac
    Probably all set for Peter Jenner!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	242.0 KB 
ID:	126956
    Now some fireside food coma!
    Timothy F. Lewis

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Very nicely put, Allen. I second all that, and also want to say thanks to everyone here with whom I've had so much mostly pleasant interactions, from whom I've learned so much, and to whom I have been able to impart some of the knowledge and random bits of information that have found their way into my mind over the years. I'm ever so grateful to have found this community, which gives back more to me, and hopefully everyone here, than will ever be possible to completely requite. Won't stop me from trying, though; don't know what will.

I had to overcome some obstacles today, which will make the meal I am about to enjoy, late as it is, that much more delicious. I ran out of gas just as I was about to put the bird in. (My stove operates off a propane grill tank, copper line into the house from outside. It was like that when I came here - honest! - and have never seen a need to change. It's by far my least expensive utility.) I had thought of checking it earlier in the week, but nooooo ... So I had to drive to the gas station and get it filled - and dontcha know I got there just as the propane delivery guy was filling their tank! So twenty minutes later I put the bird in the oven, and just then the clock on top of the fridge goes out. OK, fine whatever, I check the clock on the microwave. I went next door and hung out with my neighbors for a half hour, come back to turn the turkey - and the oven is cold. Turns out the plugs that feed electricity to the stove and fridge have popped the reset button! That's why the clock had gone out. That hasn't happened in years. But at least I knew what it was. So I had to start over again ... and I'm looking at a 9:00 dinner time. But hey - thanks to America's insatiable appetite for football, and the NFL and TV's insatiable desire to provide it, there is now a night game in addition to the traditional two afternoon games. I still get to enjoy a Thanksgiving meal and football game together. A happy ending.

And a happy epilogue - I'm thankful to see I'm not the only one bollicksed by upside down photos from my phone's camera.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I agree. Thanks to all, moderators and members for making this a very remarkable site

Carpe Mandolinium

Hopin' all y'all are havin' a good 'un.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	happy-thanksgiving.png 
Views:	153 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	126957
    == JOHN ==

Music washes away from the soul the dust of every day life.

--Berthold Auerbach

JB, I have tried everything I know to try to get pictures upright, can't figure it out! Irritates me but, the turkey was good, ten years since I'd done one. Finally having a small piece of pecan pie. Almost ready to hit the rack!
    Timothy F. Lewis

Blog Entries

I'm in the same leaky boat. I started a freakin' thread - How I Spent My Summer Vacation - and then got thoroughly hornswoggled when I tried to post pictures from it. I mean, photos of the Washington Monument much have to go a certain way or they just look ... wrong. Had to put the project on hold. I don't get it. They're upright in the folder but once uploaded - bleah! Even after pre-compensating. Just don't get it.

Anyway, no pie for me. That one plate was more than enough. Mm-mm-mm-mm-mm! Looking forward to lots of turkey etc etc etc for the next week or so.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Visited my mom in a medical rehab center where she's recuperating from open-heart surgery last week, so I got the dubious enjoyment of nursing-home style T'giving food (you know, served under a plastic dome plate from a stack, with a slice of stale turkey-like meat and about a scoopful of mashed potatoes and another scoopful of stuffing, really perfect little spherical scoops like come out of an ice cream scoop.) Still it was good to spend some time with her. In retrospect maybe I should've brought a mando along!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    They're upright in the folder
    Whatever program you use to manage photos probably remembers how you want them displayed but never changes the picture files. You do need a real manipulation program that does that. Have you tried xnview?
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Thank you Scott for all that you do. The Cafe is a great place to drop in on and it is much to your credit that it is. I am a newbie here and will take this time to thank all who participate with their threads and replies. I'm thankful for all of the videos that you take time to upload. I enjoy the funny threads that seem to make their way in and brighten up my day. I am also thankful for the knowledge shared here. Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
    Kenny B. Playing on a Stelling S-5Q #144
    Lakota Leathers strap
    Blue Chip CT55 pick & SR-50
    D'Addario J75 Strings
    Virtuoso Premium Polish / Yes I clean & polish my mandolin

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kowboy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    In retrospect maybe I should've brought a mando along!
    Of course! Always! And remember - roast mandolin is an underrated, underappreciated addition to any festive holiday meal. Can be a bit stringy, though, if not properly prepared.

Bertram - I tried rotated the photos in Photo Viewer, but it didn't seem to take. I have PhotoShop loaded on my desk top (still limping along) but not laptop. It's a bit of a PITA but I could try transferring them, rotating them there, and transferring them back.

JB, it was just a turkey, don't sweat it. I understand the PITA aspect though and truly appreciate it!
    Go have some leftovers, I might in a bit, maybe pie?
    Timothy F. Lewis

Blog Entries

No sweat, nor blood nor tears. Still, you know how a problem, even one that is ever so slightly irksome, can needle and nag you until you solve it. Then, sadly, all too often you say to yourself, once solved, "Now what was the big deal about that?" But while you're in the middle of it, it can really command your attention. Ah, such is life sometimes, for us puny humans!

Funny thing about leftovers. For some reason, I'm not the least bit hungry today. Imagine that!

28. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Made poached eggs and toast for my grandson and I this morning, about three, after the Black Friday crew returned I went to a local Chicago dog joint for a late afternoon lunch. I got a small rib tip order.
    Just had a tiny piece of pie, but, small is all for me today and I didn't hurt myself yesterday too much.
    I completely understand the pea under the mattress problem, then when you do fix it it really does become a "how did I not think of that sooner" moment.
    Timothy F. Lewis

Blog Entries

Oh, I'll be chowing down soon enough,I reckon. I'm trying to get myself to make some headway on hose cleaning, not my favorite activity, and welcome every opportunity for distraction. another big meal will induce post-ingestive narcosis (that's the term for getting drowsy after a meal), and I'm hoping to get further along first. Not trying very hard, though, I admit.

BTW, I am peeved at Papa John's decision to run a promotion on what they Philly Cheese Steak pizza, large for $12, that ends today. That sounds might good, but I cannot justify such a purchase with so much food in the fridge. I hope they run the promo again.

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    The 8 strings keep me sane.
    That funny. It's the opposite for me.

Anyway, I know I'm a day late but Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.