Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do you collect picks what do you do with them

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Default do you collect picks what do you do with them

this is what I have done with some of the picks I have collected over the years most from working the showsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	10352203_10204185105461600_2924940710512909863_n.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	127333
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Default Re: do you collect picks what do you do with them

You could used the money spent on all those picks and bought yourself one Blue Chip pick.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George R. Lane For This Useful Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled (5).png 
Views:	220 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	127336
    Jacobson #24
    Kentucky KM-620
    Michael Kelly
    Fender
    Gold Tone Banjo

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dusty miller For This Useful Post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    You could used the money spent on all those picks and bought yourself one Blue Chip pick.
    Thats funny, glad i didn't buy any of the picks
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

I buy picks here & there--especially when I find something a little different, or it has a store name on it or something like that.
    I also check music stores when I travel and buy picks if they have anything different than the ones I can get at home--especially unusual stuff or store branded ones.

I keep them in various containers--I use some of them to play guitar (& now mandolin) and others I keep as souvenirs, etc.
    There are ones I make sure get air.
    I also have a Tortex box like one you might see in a store (a small one) where I keep picks like that...

I have scanned many of them, I'll have to check them out and maybe post some.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dusty miller View Post

Name:	untitled (5).png 
Views:	220 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	127336
    Now there's an image!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

collect?
    not sure.
    still have many from my teens, mostly ones i didnt use much, and a gross of old fender mediums,which slightly depleted.

have waaaaayyy too many,fer sure.

there are so many fun designs,etc.

went to NAMM years ago, and that trip alone i must have had a hundred or more ,gratis!

i guess i like having lots of spares and variety
    i do have a few special band promo picks that i dont use, but
    i dont really collect, i acquire,especially easy to find colors

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I don't collect them - they do it, somehow.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    I don't collect them - they do it, somehow.
    That seems the way.

I hold my monthly jams in the living room, on a faux oriental rug, we named "pick eater". I keep a jar on the piano and a "take a pick leave a pick" policy. Anything I find after the jam I put in the jar, and anyone needing a pick for any reason can dip into the jar.

Well the jar never gets depleted.

I have all kinds of left over stuff from my explorations, lots of free picks that came with, a bunch of clown barf someone got me for Christmas, and most recently a bunch of picks made from old credit cards.

Not a collection, not even as assemblage, more like an accumulation.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

12. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Blog Entries

I spill mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC4818.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	129716  

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Once a month I collect mine from the washing machine and reuse them.
    Living’ in the Mitten

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Ostrander For This Useful Post:

mvlhzedmando 

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Um, Earryl, not sure how to say this ... but that's not how you pick a guitar.

I'm like Steven Wright - I have an enormous collection of picks. They're in other people's pockets, all over the world.

OK, I collect picks, for sure - unencountered ones. At least, I have the mindset for acquiring picks. Since they almost always vanish into the ether from whence they came, I'm always on the lookout for another. Just to keep my collection from going all the way to zero. I always try to have at least two on hand - one for myself, one for the guitarist to borrow from me - though right now I'm flush. I've got four, though two aren't too useful, with the points rounded off. Oh wait - one came that way, that Dawg pick I never use, but keep as a spare, just in case I run low on, or out of, useful picks. That reminds me - I have to go get back the one the guitarist borrowed last night before he loses it.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

17. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

I have a ton of them! I worked in a guitar store in the late 70's and had a bunch of them already. I had a small plastic bag full of old National finger picks. I have sold them all but what I need. Scary what I got for them! Even though I still use them they ain't all that great. I also had a bag of Dobro brand plastic finger picks. They went for top dollar also. Back to the subject. Back in the early 80's I started a collection, using white Fender Mediums, of signed picks. Nobody famous just musician friends, members of bands I played in or local bands I liked, etc. I was able to get picks signed by my high school Rockabilly band even. Those guys are gone now. I also have a quite a collection of picks from guitar stores, etc. And then there is a small Planter's Peanuts can around here somewhere about half full of just picks.....and more picks.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    That reminds me - I have to go get back the one the guitarist borrowed last night before he loses it.
    Suddenly I think I know what those white beaches along the A1A consist of, and where all that plastic afloat in the seven seas comes from...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by Charley wild View Post
    I have a ton of them! I worked in a guitar store in the late 70's and had a bunch of them already. I had a small plastic bag full of old National finger picks. I have sold them all but what I need. Scary what I got for them! Even though I still use them they ain't all that great. I also had a bag of Dobro brand plastic finger picks. They went for top dollar also. Back to the subject. Back in the early 80's I started a collection, using white Fender Mediums, of signed picks. Nobody famous just musician friends, members of bands I played in or local bands I liked, etc. I was able to get picks signed by my high school Rockabilly band even. Those guys are gone now. I also have a quite a collection of picks from guitar stores, etc. And then there is a small Planter's Peanuts can around here somewhere about half full of just picks.....and more picks.
    I've had dreams of going to garage sales and finding a jar of guitar picks like this--for almost nothing...

21. The following members say thank you to zedmando for this post:

No I don't collect them. I am lucky if I have even three sitting around to spare!

We're a two-musician household, so we have picks all over the place. I have them in my pockets in several coats, pairs of jeans, vests ... on the piano in a stone heart ... in the strings of each of my mandolins ... under the couch, on my bedroom dresser, on my husband's bedroom dresser, on the computer desk, a bunch in my purse if I go instrument playing while I'm around and about ... a bunch that came free when I ordered strings, some that came free when my husband ordered something from Musicians Friend ... credit card/plastic picks he made himself ... gifts from my teacher, gifts from other musicians, stuff we picked up at Grey Fox, picks tossed into three guitar cases and a couple in two mandolin cases. Most were free -- I think the only pick I remember paying for was a blue chip my husband bought for his guitar just because (and has since, of course, misplaced. Funny how the free picks are always around)
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

If I see something new and they're cheap, I will get new picks. I have a bunch of them sitting on the end table beside the couch where I often sit to practice. The picks are different sizes, shapes, rounded/pointed tip, thicknesses, colors etc. I like to try different ones to see which I like/dislike, and for what purpose (eg, tremolo versus normal picking).

The only thing is that a loose pile of picks doesn't look so great permanently sitting on the end table, so my Mom is making me a small bowl (a little bigger than an ashtray) in her pottery class, so I'll put the picks in there and fish them out as desired.

I still think about "the pound of picks" for sale for $40 (link below). So far I have resisted .... bb

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...f-picks-for-40

Quote Originally Posted by bohemianbiker View Post
    If I see something new and they're cheap, I will get new picks. I have a bunch of them sitting on the end table beside the couch where I often sit to practice. The picks are different sizes, shapes, rounded/pointed tip, thicknesses, colors etc. I like to try different ones to see which I like/dislike, and for what purpose (eg, tremolo versus normal picking).

The only thing is that a loose pile of picks doesn't look so great permanently sitting on the end table, so my Mom is making me a small bowl (a little bigger than an ashtray) in her pottery class, so I'll put the picks in there and fish them out as desired.

I still think about "the pound of picks" for sale for $40 (link below). So far I have resisted .... bb

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...f-picks-for-40
    agreed
    your solution? An Altoids tin, or some exotic confection in a tin with a nice graphic,
    tea tin, etc
    or, perhaps, some nice wooden box or porcelain round lidded box.

Blog Entries

I don't know how you hold onto them so long. I leave mine on the floor of fast food restaurants and have to buy new.

So, here's a little story. I was talking with my best friend one day and he mentioned that he hadn't played guitar in years (wrist troubles) and that even if he were to try, all he had was "Jane's" old guitar in his closet.

Well, "Jane" was my girlfriend from about 1969-1971 or so. I have often wished that I had some kind of remembrance of her as those were wonderful times. Lo and behold, my pal has her old guitar in his closet! Of course he gave it to me, I was thrilled to have it.

Upon opening the case I found a little tea tin full of various picks, about three dozen of them, 40+ years old. Some of them had "Washington Music Center" imprinted on them (Washington DC) -- other odds and ends, various gauges, a couple of psychedelic looking ones, etc.

I think the tea tin full of picks has become a fonder remembrance than the guitar -- a Japanese Yamaha, by the way, neck very bowed and basically unplayable, but it sits in a corner of my living room nonetheless.

BTW, "Jane" was quite the musician -- guitar, piano, vocals. She did the meanest rendition of Down So Low (Mother Earth) that you ever heard -- Tracy Nelson had nothing on her.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jaycat For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

These are my loaners:

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	129786

I usually can't afford what I really want in a music store, so I buy at least one pick every time I visit one. I have a large variety of about 3 jars full. I have been using the same blue chip as main plectrum the past 4 years.

Do they still make those good green picks....Herco I believe?

Bob
    re simmers

31. The following members say thank you to re simmers for this post:

At a wedding one time I discovered I had at least 7 or 8 picks on me between the various pockets of my suit.
    Another guy there was a mechanic and he had 5 or 6 small wrenches in his pockets.
    We had a good laugh over it.

"Yes".

I use numismatic sleeves

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	129871