Thread: $30 Bowlback

Default $30 Bowlback

Thoughts, anyone?

http://elpaso.craigslist.org/msg/4797796898.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bowl1.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	127487 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bowl2.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	127488
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: $30 Bowlback

Looks pretty run-of-the-mill but for those days that wouldn't necessarily be run of the mill. Looks like it could be a Lyon and Healy production mandolin--but they used v nice wood almost on everything.

Main thing to check is the neck angle which oft times gets out of wack as the strings pull up or the top north of the sound hole starts to give way.

If the neck is good the little bits of cosmetic binding missing, etc. seem negligible. And $30 would be a nice acquisition. Extra light gauge strings only: GHS .09 --.32 only.... Should sound pretty sweet.

If the neck / action is bad: hop and skip away.

Let us know what you find out.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

3. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

looks to me to be a $30 bowlback tho it might be worth more like $15.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Those two cracks below the bridge look ominous; cf. this current thread.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    looks to me to be a $30 bowlback tho it might be worth more like $15.
    I agree, they don't sell for much. $30 is great if it is playable and you want to keep it. I bought one thinking I could flip it on eBay and make a couple hundred--nope--I think it was on eBay for 5 years--absolutely no interest--I finally had to take it out back and shoot it! No, just kidding, it's hanging on a nail in the shed. Wanted to, though....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I agree, they don't sell for much. $30 is great if it is playable and you want to keep it. I bought one thinking I could flip it on eBay and make a couple hundred--nope--I think it was on eBay for 5 years--absolutely no interest--I finally had to take it out back and shoot it! No, just kidding, it's hanging on a nail in the shed. Wanted to, though....
    I think higher-end, playable, name brand bowlbacks are still desirable. Higher-end models have lots of MOP inlay, fancier headstock, maybe some nice engraving on the metal tuner plate, and more staves in the bowl (generally more staves = higher quality; cheapos have 8-10 wide ones, fancier ones may have 20 or more very narrow staves.) BBs with intact label are always going to be more valuable than some no-name. (But try to check the label with a magnifier; if it looks like it was laser printed, watch out!)

An elaborate tailpiece also adds to the value. One of those fancy lyre-shaped L&H tailpieces can be worth more than an entire cheap mandolin by itself.

9. The following members say thank you to Petrus for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    I think higher-end, playable, name brand bowlbacks are still desirable. Higher-end models have lots of MOP inlay, fancier headstock, maybe some nice engraving on the metal tuner plate, and more staves in the bowl (generally more staves = higher quality; cheapos have 8-10 wide ones, fancier ones may have 20 or more very narrow staves.)
    I agree. But there are some older bowlbacks that were made with little MOP or marquetry decoration but nice wood, a decent number of staves, etc. These are really bargains when you find them, as they sound pretty good and will be fairly cheap.

The trick is finding them in playable condition, or at least only needing minimal work to get into playing shape.