Thread: Free sheet music for Coventry Carol and Tu Scendi Dalle Stelle

Default Free sheet music for Coventry Carol and Tu Scendi Dalle Stelle

Here are two wonderful Christmas carols of quite different feeling that I arranged this month for two mandolins and octave mandolin, also playable on three mandolins. OM is better for harmony line, with glide strokes and as much sustain as possible.

“Coventry Carol” is an exquisite 16th century English Christmas carol, which tells of Herod’s slaughter of the innocents.

Tu Scendi Dalle Stelle (You Come Down from the Stars” is a very popular Italian Christmas carol with music by the Neopolitan priest Alphonsus Maria de' Liguori (1676-1787).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coventry Carol mandolins 5.pdf   Tu Scendi Dalle Stelle mandolins 3.pdf  
    Harper (My other mandolin is a harp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harper For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Free sheet music for Coventry Carol and Tu Scendi Dalle Stell

Correction: Tu Scendi should have been marked in the corner as a tune in G Major. Here is the corrected sheet. If you see any errors in any of my sheet music please let me know so that I can correct them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tu Scendi Dalle Stelle mandolins 4.pdf 
Views:	777 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	127611

Evelyn
    Harper (My other mandolin is a harp)

WOW, thanks! I am downloading these now, and will print as soon as I get a new cartridge for my printer! Both my daughter and I have mandolins, so we can get together and play 2 of the parts, once we learn them. And I am looking forward to doing so!

Thanks, Evelyn -- that is a really nice arrangement of Coventy Carol. More interesting than the arrangement by Steve Hendricks that I had been using previously. I particularly like the octave mandolin part, although it keeps you on your toes!

I've just recorded Evelyn's arrangement, using my Mid-Mo mandolin for the melody, Mid-Mo octave mandolin for the harmony and my nylgut-strung bowlback mandolin for the descant, giving a bit of a lute-like tone.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    "Baroq-ulele" nylgut-strung mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-0W octave mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Martin, what speed as in metronome beats per minute were you playing that at? Just wondering what speed I need to work up to in order for it to sound nice.
    If I miss one day’s practice, I notice it. If I miss two days’ practice, the critics notice it. If I miss three days’ practice, the public notices it.
    Franz Liszt, 1894

Quote Originally Posted by rubydubyr View Post
    Martin, what speed as in metronome beats per minute were you playing that at? Just wondering what speed I need to work up to in order for it to sound nice.
    I can't quite remember the exact tempo, but somewhere in the region of 100bpm. Tap along with my recording to get a better feel. The melody and descant are pretty straightforward, but the octave mandolin part takes some practice to keep the tempo steady. You may want to simplify some of the arpeggios for better ergonomy of fingering and string changes.

Martin

My daughter will probably play the octave mandolin on her guitar, or a semblance thereof... I am not sure of the guitar's note range.
    If I miss one day’s practice, I notice it. If I miss two days’ practice, the critics notice it. If I miss three days’ practice, the public notices it.
    Franz Liszt, 1894

Quote Originally Posted by rubydubyr View Post
    My daughter will probably play the octave mandolin on her guitar, or a semblance thereof... I am not sure of the guitar's note range.
    Might be getting to late too practice this one in time for Christmas! As far as playing the OM part on guitar is concerned, range isn't an issue as the lowest note on guitar is the E below the low G of the OM. In many pieces using the guitar wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, in this particular arrangement I'm not sure it would quite work, as Evelyn has written the part specifically to make use of the sustain of the open G and D strings. It's playable on guitar, but the intended effect of the open strings won't quite be there.

Martin

Oh, its not for this Christmas, we just enjoy the music, and there's always next Christmas, we should know it by then...
    Franz Liszt, 1894

REALLY enjoying all your arrangements. My husband and I play them on a variety of treble clef instruments, including fiddle and recorder. THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer