Thread: Reminiscence Waltz (Morelli)

Default Reminiscence Waltz (Morelli)

This is another Italian-American waltz, written by Lorenzo Morelli and arranged by Luigi Canoro for Di Bella Music in New York in around 1920. Sheet music is in Sheri Mignano's Dropbox thread. NB: this is a different Morelli from the composer of "Speranze Perdute" -- Lorenzo, not Alessandro.

In keeping with the title, I have put together a slide show of mandolin groups of the period, pilfered from the Cafe's antique mandolin photo thread -- some of them may have played this very tune. It's a lively piece, and I've played with a bit of a kick.

My recording has the three original parts (two mandolins and guitar) plus a bassline on mandocello.

1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin
    1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

It may be an indulgence, but I find it fascinating to bring these old tunes to life from the printed sheets -- there's a thrill when the parts come together and the shape of the music emerges, as one never quite knows how it works out until the final mix. This particular tune I thought was nothing special when I sight-read the first mandolin part, but it meshes really well with the second mandolin and makes for an atmospheric arrangement which is surprisingly full for so few instruments.

Martin

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

Default Re: Reminiscence Waltz (Morelli)

Please, always indulge yourself! One can never get enough of these sweet melodies! Every one of those musicians in the picture, including that fabulous female harp guitarist extends their thank you's as well! Morelli deserves no less!

4. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post: