Thread: using forearm for tremolo ?

Default using forearm for tremolo ?

I have learned to keep the forearm still and only move the hand (wiggle the wrist as if I am shaking hand) while picking / tremoloing. However, the lady in the video below move her entire forearm for tremolo. Is this another popular tremolo technique ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkHWvl9nhBo

Default Re: using forearm for tremolo ?

My classical mandolin instructor has me using a combo of wrist and forearm. bb

3. The following members say thank you to bohemianbiker for this post:

I have an instruction book that recommends tremolo from the elbow, which might be the same thing, just talking about the hinge rather than the driving muscle. I spend a fair bit of time trying to relax my wrist, so maybe I am doing something similar to bb, perhaps I should video myself and take a look

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Whenever you move the wrist, the forearm is bound to move along at least a little bit.

BUT - stiffening the wrist and moving the whole forearm from the elbow means moving way too much mass. You'll notice that if you do that, the tremolo can be felt through your upper arm, shoulder and head, too. Dangerous to your health. So keep a loose wrist and make that the center of motion, whatever else may be moving along.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Violinists have this conversation also wrist vibrato and elbow vibrato. Both are taught because both work. I imagine that to be the case with mandolin. Personally I use more wrist than elbow. Keeping it loose but in control works best for me..... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

My instructor has me using my elbow for tremolo and my wrist for everything else. That seems standard among classical circles in Europe. But I have seen other great mandolinists use only this wrist for tremolo. As Joe Brent said, there are many ways to skin this cat.

Quote Originally Posted by kkmm View Post
    However, the lady in the video below
    ... appears to be Caterina Lichtenberg. And I am pretty sure that what she is doing can't be so wrong

Anyhow, I also usually play tremolo from the elbow. But I seriously struggle with reconfiguring my right arm between 'normal' melody playing from the wrist and tremolo from the elbow. This just takes me too long. While those who play tremolo from the wrist as well very naturally fall into tremolo (e.g but far above my horizon Dawg or Mike Marshall). Caterina has no problems switching apparently .