Thread: Trillium cittern played by Carol Coronis

Default Trillium cittern played by Carol Coronis

I chanced upon this video on Youtube while researching Trillium citterns. This video really rocks:

I really like the simplicity of the song although I think it is in 2/4 using an Arabic Maqam thrown in towards the end.
    Nic Gellie

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick Gellie For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Trillium cittern played by Carol Coronis

Quote Originally Posted by scifi View Post
    Thanks for sharing!
    Andy Irvine plays one if you search for his concert at Mighty Fine Guitars on youtube you should find it

Blog Entries

Excellent playing, nice modal change from the typical Celtic thing going on round these parts! Thanks!
    =============================
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    =============================
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

Andy played a Trillium mandola for about a year, and toured with it. The cittern he's playing in those videos does not appear to be a Trillium.

The video above was taken at the now closed Elysium Folk Arts Club in Rollingsford, NH.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Mandobar,

You must be a local to know that the Elysium Folk Club is now closed. It is a pity that anywhere live venues are closing down. It is a sign of the times. People tend to go out less and enjoy seeing live music. Maybe not the case in Ireland.

Anyhow it is great seeing a woman playing a cittern with panache and passion even if it was two years ago at a now defunct folk club venue.
    Nic Gellie

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Andy played a Trillium mandola for about a year, and toured with it. The cittern he's playing in those videos does not

appear to be a Trillium.

The video above was taken at the now closed Elysium Folk Arts Club in Rollingsford, NH.
    it isnt a cittern anyway.

The demise of the folk club had many factors, but I believe the owner now runs a small venue from his home. Change is inevitable, and yes, I live a couple towns over from where the folk arts club was located, but there are still a number of small clubs here in the area. In fact we have a jam on Monday nights down the hall from there (it was located in an old mill that has been converted into commercial space).
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

The demise of the folk club had many factors, but I believe the owner now runs a small venue from his home. Change is inevitable, and yes, I live a couple towns over from where the folk arts club was located, but there are still a number of small clubs here in the area. In fact we have a jam on Monday nights down the hall from there (it was located in an old mill that has been converted into commercial space).
    Not to hijack he thread but is there any active folk clubs in Ireland that cafe members are involved with?

Squire Maguire's in Limerick - Thur and Fri nights...

12. The following members say thank you to Eddie Sheehy for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    Squire Maguire's in Limerick - Thur and Fri nights...
    Must check that out!

I just found out a coffee shop my daughter took me to in the town where she lives has cut out the live open mike music nights and made it a student study only coffee shop. Kinda sad as the open mike music nights didn't even start till 9pm or so.
    If I miss one day’s practice, I notice it. If I miss two days’ practice, the critics notice it. If I miss three days’ practice, the public notices it.
    Franz Liszt, 1894

Back to the original purpose of the thread which was to opine on the music and the cittern which features so strongly in it. Carol's cittern has a sitka top with Big-leaved Maple on the back and sides. What this video illustrates is the clean clear sound with minimal overtones coming through in her playing the Trillium Cittern.

Other cafe members might have different views on this but this tone is closer to the tone of a Greek bouzouki. Other tones woods used in the back and sides of an irish bouzouki tend towards a darker, richer sound with more complex overtones. This can muddy the clarity of the bouzouki. I noticed also that some of Joe Foley's instruments tend towards the brighter clearer side, which make the chords stand out more especially if other rhythm instruments are being played at the same time.

I would be interested in other people's thoughts.
    Nic Gellie

I have a redwood topped black walnut Trillium cittern. Nothing dark about the sound. I've played a couple maple Trillium instruments, and I prefer the walnut over the maple. Bob has some nice myrtle and spanish cedar also. These are great instruments. I also own Andy Irvine's former mandola, which is walnut also (with and adirondack top).

17. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

I have a redwood topped black walnut Trillium cittern. Nothing dark about the sound. I've played a couple maple Trillium instruments, and I prefer the walnut over the maple. Bob has some nice myrtle and spanish cedar also. These are great instruments. I also own Andy Irvine's former mandola, which is walnut also (with and adirondack top).
    Thanks Mandobar. I am considering getting a Trillium cittern. I have been in discussion with Bob about him making me one. BTW what is the tuning on your cittern? I am looking for a brighter sound than what is on my Crump which has a lovely mellow bassy balanced sound. Have you had a chance to try out Carol's or Dave Surette's citterns? Carol's cittern in the video is tuned DAEAE or DAEAD.

I am wondering where a Walnut with a Sitka Spruce top would sit in the cittern tonal range spectrum? I know this is down to a matter of taste.
    Nic Gellie

I have played David's. His is myrtle and Adirondack. I have mine tuned DGDAE. The low D is octave paired. I also have a Mango and Redwood mandola from Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by rubydubyr View Post
    Kinda sad as the open mike music nights didn't even start till 9pm or so.
    These days that’s very nearly my bed time!
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....