Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Então, chora bandolim! - A choro thread

Default Re: Então, chora bandolim! - A choro thread

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Epoca de ouro (what remains of Jacob's original backing band) do a live streaming event every Monday, starts in a little over an hour from now. Portuguese language but tghg the music is universal!

http://radios.ebc.com.br/epoca-de-ou...va-da-carreira
    Andy: the link you put there says it is on Saturday (I think). What time on Monday do you hear it and what time zone are you in?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim - the show has been on the last couple weeks at 7pm GMT on Mondays, but there's a break this week because it's carnaval in Brazil! This week's show is on Saturday.

The video streaming and live playing happens on Mondays, and then the show is aired on the radio on Saturdays, if my pigeon portuguese serves me correctly.

One more because it's been a while.

Great thread! Did I see reference to some Choro Backing tracks? I'd love to get a hold of those! I made one recently, but a lot of work!.

6. The following members say thank you to AndyC for this post:

One more because it's been a while.
    I could not see the video... Maybe this works?

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hey, Andy... I love the tone you are getting from your bandolim -- I assume it is a Brazilian-made instrument? Who made yours? Nice playing as well.

I mostly play a maple one built in 1998 by Manoel Andrade, who I believe passed away a few years ago.

A few of us who live north of New York City are getting together to play tomorrow evening. I have been listening to choro for many years but never have anyone local to play with. I am hoping this will work out. Everyone is an accomplished musician in other genres but this will be initially a slow jam to see how it all works out. We have a small handful of tunes to start with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	andrade_ftbk_med.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	130825  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

9. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

AndyC 

Hi Jim, that's very kind of you to say so! I'm working on my technique all the time, both with the instrument and in the home studio so any suggestions gratefully received.

My bandolim has an unusual story, and it is in the workshop right now so is a good a time as any to tell it!

I started really digging in to choro around 2 years ago after my experiences at California Brazil Camp. I have played cavaquinho for around five years, and enjoyed accompanying samba/pagode. But the choro melodies just got stuck in my head! Trying to play the melodies on a cavaquinho was a frustrating experience, so I stayed on the look out for a bandolim. Having not seen one in the UK for about six months, I was resigned to purchasing unseen from a Brazilian luthier and suffering the accompanying taxes.

By a chance Google search I found a bandolim for sale at New Acoustic Gallery (NAG) in Germany. They sell instruments by Collings, Ellis and the like. This bandolim had been made by Hermann Graefe, a German luthier. Hermann opens his instrument workshop for people to make their own instruments, and he had two people approach him to make bandolins. Not knowing all that much, he did some research and built a prototype, which is the instrument I eventually bought. So there are three in existence as far as I know! I paid around 1000 EUR which really is a steal considering the quality of the instrument. It comes highly recommended by Tim Connell who played it in NAG on a visit to Germany, and basically sold me on it via email.

More photos here, click pictures and click right about ten times to get there:
    http://www.sailing-strings.de/

I have had a few emails back and forth with Hermann, and he's a fantastic guy! I would highly recommend him to anyone in Europe trying to source a bandolim and running out of luck.

Jim - hope your roda went well, which tunes did you choose to play?

For anyone who read all of that, have a couple new backing tracks as a reward! Lamentos, Brejeiro and Sonoroso.

https://soundcloud.com/andrewmichaelcarter
    Last edited by AndyC; Feb-18-2015 at 5:31am.

11. The following members say thank you to AndyC for this post:

Registered User Justin Carvitto's Avatar

[QUOTE

I mostly play a maple one built in 1998 by Manoel Andrade, who I believe passed away a few years ago.
    [/QUOTE]

What do you think of your bandolim? I'm having Pedro Santos build me one now with maple upon his recommendation. I was going to go with beech but I'm going to listen to the luthier on this one. I'm sure I'll be happy with anything that doesn't sound like an F-5.

great thread.
    dunno

Justin - FYI mine is spruce top with maple back and sides. Or the other way around, I forget...but no beech in sight.

Never heard of beech for back and sides. Maple is generally the preferred wood for the back and sides AFAIK, mainly for the more cutting sound. Rosewood is prob a bit mellower but to compete with other instruments not as good.

I do see that "faia" translates to beech but I do wonder if that is the same beech that we in the US know. Woods are sometimes called different things -- I suppose the best would be to find out the Latin name. Then again, if Mr. Santos recommends maple, I would go with that.

The 10 string I have seen Dudu Maia play with was made by Pedro Santos. If I were buying one right now, I would consider one of his.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Jim - hope your roda went well, which tunes did you choose to play?
    We are meeting this afternoon. Andy, do you have other musicians to play with where you are?

Initial list is culled from potential players and what they were working on:
    • Assanhado
    • Benzinho
    • Brejeiro
    • Cochichando
    • Diabinho Maluco
    • Nao Me Toques (Am)*
    • Receita de Samba
    • Tico Tico

*It is interesting... most of the tunes are generally played in one standard key but Nao Me Toques seems to be played in D minor (by Jacob) but in A minor also. I guess the A minor version is a bit easier on the mandolin. I have sheet music in both keys.

I generally go with the Chediak white books for most tunes (NMT is D minor in those) but players in this group are playing in A minor.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Registered User Justin Carvitto's Avatar

Andy and Jim,

Yeah, my order is with maple back and sides with european spruce with the 10 string model. I'm going basic with no pearl inlay to save cost.
    dunno

Justin,

Looking forward to checking our bandolim one of these days!

see ya, David

A nice mix of tunes there! I think Pixinguinha is easily neglected by bandolinistas, glad to see him included. Acerta o passo is another fine one of his.

If you are ever near Brooklyn go to check out Regional de NY if you haven't already. A fine bunch of choroes if there ever was one.

I began yesterday to find out the guitar part to make myself a backing track for "lamentos".
    Don't need it anymore!

Thank you for sharing :o)

De nada! Let me know if you have any requests.

Epoca de Ouro live streaming tonight:

http://radios.ebc.com.br/epoca-de-ou...atros-cariocas

WOW thanks ever so much! Is there a reason that some of the songs can't be downloaded? Or did you just forget?
    Al in PT

I only put the backing tracks (sans bandolim) available for download, figured no one wanted a downloadable recording of my patchy bandolim playing!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mportinari For This Useful Post:

mportinari: Thanks for that video. Hamilton has a nice be-bopized playing style here. I love him with the piano. Excellent. They seem to quote a few standard repertoire tunes as well.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

A couple more tracks if you like to play along. These are taken from Chediak Book 1. I've been meaning to learn Doce de Coco properly for a long time, so here it is. Lingua de preto is a flute tune really so takes a little adapting for bandolim in standard tuning.

I'm half way through recording Ingenuo, but it's taxing my 7 string playing to the limit so little by little on that one I feel.

Let me know if you use/enjoy these tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/andrewmichaelcarter/doce-de-coco

https://soundcloud.com/andrewmichael...-preto-backing

28. The following members say thank you to AndyC for this post:

I was unfamiliar with "Lingua de Preto" until yesterday -- but Almir Côrtes and João Paulo Amaral played this at a workshop yesterday and then again at a house concert last night at my house. Interesting tune -- a lot of notes!

David

I think I'll save Lingua de Preto for some future life...and that was an amazing piece of choro by Hamilton and Stefano Bollani. Wow. Had to listen to it twice... just really fun to listen to. I see that Bollani has played with Chick Corea. Ok. Now I get it
    Al in PT