Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebay: Copy of a Lloyd Lane!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ebay: Copy of a Lloyd Lane!

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Well, reportedly the luthier was from Bowling Green, Ohio, and the other four mandolins are in the Black Swamp Museum.

But there is no Black Swamp Museum in Ohio.
    Maybe he meant they just are in the Great Black Swamp...of course that is gone now too...pretty much drained by the 1890's. There is a Black Swamp Conservatory and they do great work BTW, including funding original research, but as far as know they do not get into mandolins. The founders (who do not seem to be on the Board any more?) do like old time music though! Maybe I'll give them a shout later today to find out if they have been stashing mandolins up there!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Maybe he meant they just are in the Great Black Swamp...of course that is gone now too..Maybe I'll give them a shout later today to find out if they have been stashing mandolins up there!
    If you do ask them about some of that nice old swamp wood, i bet we could make some nice mandos out of some, hey i started playing mando in Cincinnati
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darrylicshon View Post
    ....hey i started playing mando in Cincinnati
    Details?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I get the impression that much of what the seller is saying in the description is repeated hearsay, and he has not done due diligence, or researched the instrument's history and attributes beyond what he has been told. His main source for information is an elderly woman who was married to the now deceased owner, and this consists of what she recalls of what he may have said to her over the years. Then there are numerous misspellings and awkward phrasings in the description of this "andolin," which currently (subject to change, as we have seen) reads thusly:

2003 High end, very rare, only 6 made!!! Hand made by John Witacker from Ohio. This is a copy of a Lloyd Loar. gibson design. 5 point Gibson. Made out of Tiger Maple. with spalted maple ring around the sound hole. a giant sqid carved into the headstock. all 6 of these made were a little different,so this is a one of a kind. 6 made, 4 of which are in the black swamp museum in Ohio. One other, John Wittaker's daughter has. I have the 6th one here up for auction!!! Comes with foam fitted/molded case. (HI, ALL LOOKERS,IVE RECEIVED LOTS OF COMMENTS ABOUT MY POST.) i wished i had more info,im selling this for an elderly friend here in fla. it was her husbands instrument and hes deceased. she gave me the info she knows. she doesnt know the correct spelling of the last name whittaker,whitaker,whitacer,or maybe witacer, i dont know. i do know its a fine instrument. by like a few people said, if its an unknown maker,its like an unknown musician,name means nothing,HOWEVER!,im getting my education about this. when i took on the task of listing this i thought,wow what a highend piece it should sell itself,i thought this guy was a well known builder,and id find out all sorts of info after listing it. as an ebay seller and lister,we always bare the issues,and questions of the item.. im ue info,boom they sell themselvessed to selling highend guitars,gibson,martin,fender etc. boom they sell themselves.

If I lived near the seller, I might offer to take a look at the instrument, and help neaten up the prose. But I do not, and so cannot. It seems he could benefit from some assistance.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Well, you live a lot closer to him than I do...
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by darrylicshon View Post
    hey i started playing mando in Cincinnati
    Me too...and I didn't stop until we got to Columbus.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Now I'm being told the other mandolins are in the Andrew L. Tuttle Memorial Museum in Defiance...
    http://www.cityofdefiance.com/main/i...le-museum-home

Blog Entries

Hmmm ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tuttle.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	128214

Should I have searched for "andolin?"

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Hmmm ...

If I miss one day’s practice, I notice it. If I miss two days’ practice, the critics notice it. If I miss three days’ practice, the public notices it.
    Franz Liszt, 1894

Good grief, Charlie Brown.

Blog Entries

Hmmm ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tuttle.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	128214

OK J-Bear -- please refer to post #21 for your advanced warning! LOL
    Bernie
    ____

Blog Entries

Now I'm being told the other mandolins are in the Andrew L. Tuttle Memorial Museum in Defiance...
    Adding to Journey Bear's post........

Andrew L. Tuttle, a lifelong resident of Defiance, Ohio, bequeathed his extensive collection of Native American artifacts, coins, documents, stamps, military memorabilia, and other artifacts, to the city of Defiance with the stipulation a museum would be established in his name. The City accepted the entire collection in 2003 and steps were taken to catalog and stabilize the collection. The Tuttle, as the museum has been nicknamed, officially opened to the public in May 2013.

The museum is open on Thursdays from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm and on the first Sunday of the month 1:00 pm. to 4:00 pm -- in case you are passing though Defiance, Ohio. Or you can arrange a private viewing of the mandolins by calling 419-782-0746!
    Bernie
    ____

Searching the museum site returns zero listings with the search word mandolin and zero listings with the search words musical instruments. I guess it could be that there's nothing on their web site about what is in the museum.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Well, it sounds like just the sort of oddball museum that would have four mandolins serving no particular purpose. The Web site nowhere purports to be a complete catalog of the museum's collection ... but it does have an exhibit related to a local music store in Defiance, which includes a pump organ formerly belonging to the owner of said music store ... so we know there's at least one musical instrument there.

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thought it looked familiar. Found a reference to it here, but the linked photo doesn't exist anymore.

Wayfaring Stranger said "A friend of mine just built this one (played it the other night; it's killer)"

Larry

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S Sherman View Post
    Thought it looked familiar. Found a reference to it here, but the linked photo doesn't exist anymore.

Wayfaring Stranger said "A friend of mine just built this one (played it the other night; it's killer)" Larry
    Good memory Larry! Now that you point me to the string I think I remember it too.

So maybe Wayfaring Stranger knows if (he/she) is still on the forum. The last post from Wayfaring Stranger was August 17, 2011. He/she lived in Potomac, MD at that time.

Also before the eBay add was revised (and changed from 5-point mandolin to 5-point andolin) I thought it had a "make an offer" option? In any case, it doesn't now.
    Bernie
    ____

That squid inlay has been nagging me. I am sure I have seen it posted on the Cafe in the past but I can't locate it.
    To me it looks like a pretty good mandolin, is there not a label in this mandolin?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Blog Entries

OK J-Bear -- please refer to post #21 for your advanced warning! LOL
    I don't follow, but it don't matter. If the seller IS scanning this thread, he is surely learning a lot about all kinds of stuff. And that's just fine!

Martin's right - this is exactly the sort of oddball museum that would four mandolins from the same unknown maker, as it is comprised of the collected artifacts of one person. What gets me is the part where the collection was donated in 2003 and the museum opened in 2013. One would like to assume that in the intervening decade, as the collection was being catalogued, those doing the job would have done what needed to be done for the catalogue to be available online. I believe that is pretty much SOP these days. Perhaps someone would like to give the curator a ringy-dingy? Or if someone lives near Defiance they could take a swing by and have a look-see? I'm mostly curious if each mandolin has a different nautical creature on its headstock. That would be something to behold!

So, what's up with the squid thing? Of all things, it's weird.
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

Blog Entries

I don't follow, but it don't matter. If the seller IS scanning this thread, he is surely learning a lot about all kinds of stuff. And that's just fine! ...

I don't blame you -- I almost can't follow it myself and I wrote it! LOL
    Bernie
    ____

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bernie Daniel For This Useful Post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Details?
    I went to SCPA my major was violin, found a mandolin on a wall at a party in college hill from then on i was hooked
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

"WE LISTED THIS IN HOPES THAT SOMEONE OUT THERE KNEW THE QUALITY AND VALUE OF IT. LOOKS LIKE NOONE WILL END UP WITH THIS FINE INSTRUMENT. 4 DAYS LEFT"

Hmm, perhaps a lowering the minimum...
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Blog Entries

I think the other two points they are referring to are at the base of the headstock.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    "WE LISTED THIS IN HOPES THAT SOMEONE OUT THERE KNEW THE QUALITY AND VALUE OF IT. LOOKS LIKE NOONE WILL END UP WITH THIS FINE INSTRUMENT. 4 DAYS LEFT" Hmm, perhaps a lowering the minimum...
    Well I suggested that the seller add some better pictures it he/she wants buyers to appreciate it --but so far nothing. The four photos and the description provided are not the greatest IMO.

Also I don't think that is a large group of mandolin pickers out there clamoring to have an axe with a squid on the head stock -- but I could be wrong.
    Bernie
    ____

That guy Noone ends up with a lot of instruments like these... then he relists them...

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Sheehy For This Useful Post: