Thread: Collings MT2

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Collings MT2

I have been eyeing the Collings MT2 that has been languishing at Carter Vintage Guitars for months: http://www.cartervintage.com/mandopa...page.html#mt2v. Early on in the blurb, it is described as having a "Lacquer finish," but later it goes on to say that this was "Collings' very first MT2 with varnish finish" but "not yet labeled with a 'V' for varnish." The finish has two issues that might be of concern to a potential buyer. First, the finish is "chipped on neck near nut":

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  2.4 KB

Would this mandolin be a good candidate for a speed neck, and if so, how much would that procedure generally cost from a reputable luthier?

Second, the instrument is "autographed on top by Ricky Skaggs":

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	128242

Assuming that the offending instrument was a black Sharpie pen, could that autograph be safely removed with some combination of the right solvent and enough elbow grease without otherwise marring the finish?

Thanks,
    Patrick
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Default Re: Collings MT2

Patrick, I will be following this thread with great interest!

I think it's a great candidate for a speed neck. Don't know what it would cost for sure but definitely best to have a luthier do it instead of DIY.

As for the signature, alcohol would remove it I think but would be a disaster if it's varnish! If the ink is just laying on the surface I might try physical removal, a very fine polish with some cut to it like Micro Mesh liquid abrasive or Novus plastic polish. But I would worry that the solvent in the pen had "burned in" and the signature would still be visible even after the ink was gone.

I think if it were mine I would leave it alone, for fear of making it worse. I will be really curious to see what the pros say.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Blog Entries

My opinion I don't think the neck scar is sufficient to justify, on its own, a speed neck. Decision to speed neck on the merits of a speed neck. That said, I do have one and its great.

My opinion that while the signature doesn't raise the value or attractiveness in my mind, it doesn't lower it either. I would be tempted to just keep it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    I think it's a great candidate for a speed neck. Don't know what it would cost for sure but definitely best to have a luthier do it instead of DIY.
    Have no fear there. I know my limitations, which pretty much end at string changes.

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    As for the signature, alcohol would remove it I think but would be a disaster if it's varnish! If the ink is just laying on the surface I might try physical removal, a very fine polish with some cut to it like Micro Mesh liquid abrasive or Novus plastic polish. But I would worry that the solvent in the pen had "burned in" and the signature would still be visible even after the ink was gone. I think if it were mine I would leave it alone, for fear of making it worse. I will be really curious to see what the pros say.
    Leaving it alone would pretty much remove the instrument from my consideration.

If you look at the image, it seems that the autograph has already been lightened or diffused on the tailpiece ("Ricky") side by a playing arm:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	128243

I wonder if a dab of Dave Harvey's Jubilee polish and some elbow grease would remove the offending signature?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    My opinion I don't think the neck scar is sufficient to justify, on its own, a speed neck. Decision to speed neck on the merits of a speed neck. That said, I do have one and its great.
    Without having the instrument in my hands, that "scar" as you call it looks like it is in prime thumb territory for first position playing . . . you know, where I live. I would fear that the chip would affect playability unless repaired or removed.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    My opinion that while the signature doesn't raise the value or attractiveness in my mind, it doesn't lower it either. I would be tempted to just keep it.
    I'm not concerned with the value quotient, but the signature most definitely lowers the mandolin's attractiveness in my eyes.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quite the opposite, I'd put a clear strip of that tape over the signature, the kind they use to prevent fingernails digging into the finish.

You may not like Ricky, but when he's dead, it'll make it that much more attractive to someone who recognizes Ricky for his contributions to Bluegrass Mandolin. And he's yet to be inducted to the Country Music Hall Of Fame...

Mandolins like the Collings MT2 are a dime a dozen, and a ton more that would sound better than this one, so why destroy the one unique thing about this one?

I feel like autographs just dont carry the worth that they used to, no matter who signed it
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

My Cohen has s speed neck. No idea on cost though.

Don't like the signature. Would need a discount on that! No value to it at all!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    You may not like Ricky, but when he's dead, it'll make it that much more attractive to someone who recognizes Ricky for his contributions to Bluegrass Mandolin. And he's yet to be inducted to the Country Music Hall Of Fame...
    Just to be clear, my question has nothing to do with my feelings about Skaggs and everything to do with my feelings about signatures on instruments.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Patrick, try Googling "remove autograph from guitar". I just did. "Guitar" gives you way more relevant hits because this problem is much more common with guitars.

The bugaboo here is the varnish finish. Most people say alcohol will work. Acetone too. But both those would harm varnish. More appropriate for poly. And since there is solvent mixed with the ink it may have already penetrated the finish, leaving a "ghost" image.

Some have reported buffing it out with polishing compound like Meguilar's or even toothpaste. Seems like these would be solvent free and pretty benign to try.

Others report the sure cure it to have the luthier use a buffing wheel to re buff the top with polishing compound. This process removes a small layer of the finish itself so it would get rid of the ghost image as well. But you would have to hope your finish is thick enough to not burn through.

I have never tried any of this personally so judge accordingly. It may be safer to just take a pass this time and wait for an MT2 that trips your trigger a little better.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

11. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

I would go with a speed neck, easy enough to do it yourself.

I work for a violin shop doing restoration, Xylene is the only solvent that will not affect varnish and remove dirt and rosin. I just used it to clean white house paint off of an old Washburn bowl back and the finish was unaffected.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

13. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    I work for a violin shop doing restoration, Xylene is the only solvent that will not affect varnish and remove dirt and rosin.
    How about Sharpie?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I don't see why it would not work. Be aware that if you do try xylene, you need good ventilation and need to wear nitrile gloves.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

16. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Interestingly, Carter Vintage Guitars has a video posted from August of 2013 featuring a mandolin meeting the same description (first varnish MT2 from NAMM 2005) but without the autograph:

1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I called Carter Vintage Guitars and discovered that the listing is the culprit, as it uses parts of a previous instrument's description erroneously. This particular mandolin is a 2002 lacquer finished MT2 with an autograph that can be buffed out and a lacquer chip that can be speednecked off for $100.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5