Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finish safe straps

Default Finish safe straps

I see straps (Planet Waves) and strap hooks (Martin) advertising as finish safe. I'm assuming this means they can be left on when the instrument is in the case? This was one of the first "Don't Do's" a lot of us learned years ago. Obviously, buckles are a different story, but I'm wondering if anyone has left the strap on for a long time with no finish problems.

For the record I have a JBover A5 with a Nitrocellulose Lacquer finish. I'm currently tying at the headstock with leather string, and using an flea market find strap, but thinking of giving one of the Martin Strap Hooks a shot and upgrading to a nicer strap.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Finish safe straps

I'm a big fan of the Long Hollow Softy straps which I have on six of my instruments with no issues to date.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I think it's generally safe to leave the strap in the case as long as the mandolins finish has had enough time to completely cure

I love the strap I got from Alan Gelman mandolin straps of montana. Really cool looking and I like the attachment system he has. He claims on his website that there is "NOTHING" on his straps that can harm a finish. I just think they're the best straps barre none. That's my opinion

http://www.mandolinstrapsofmontana.net/411052692

"When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LongBlackVeil For This Useful Post:

Thanks LBV - that is gorgeous and a very friendly looking "under Florida" set up. Question, does the mando pitch forward when supported like that? I've never tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by timcw4 View Post
    Thanks LBV - that is gorgeous and a very friendly looking "under Florida" set up. Question, does the mando pitch forward when supported like that? I've never tried it.
    No not at all. It feels basically the same as attaching to the scroll of an f style.

Cool. I really like that design. Is there such a thing as "SAS" (Strap Acquisition Syndrome)?

It all depends on what the strap is made out of and what type of finish you have. The buckles and anything else hard is a given that it could cause damage. If the strap contains vinyl and your instrument is finished with lacquer you are going to have a problem. See this excellent article from Frank Ford's www.frets.com. By the way, this will also happen to any furniture you might have as well that is finished with lacquer.

I make my straps out of leather strips and rawhide, simple but effective. There are some pictures here that show a similar strap around the body on an A style here. You can get away with this on an instrument without a raised fretboard if you're careful.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I use Bill Bailey straps and never a mark on any of my mandolins !

Here's my 'cheapo' version of the 'strap under the extension' theme. It cost about $7 for the 5ft length of leather & i already had the short piece of thong. 20 minutes work & i was good to go,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0002.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	128426Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0003.JPG 
Views:	223 
Size:	327.0 KB 
ID:	128427
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    You can get away with this on an instrument without a raised fretboard if you're careful.
    I've thought about this, I was thinking of talking to Mike Black one day about a custom with maybe a slit on the end of the neck that gives the effect of a raise fretboard, or maybe just a hole that goes all the way through the neck.

Both my son and I use straps made by Lakota Leathers. We both leave the strap on and have not had any finish problems. Both mandolins are nitro finished. I'd like to throw a pitch out for Lakota and Kenny Bohling for having these straps made by The Lakota Indians. He is helping them in their weak economy. Visit lakotaleathers.com to see more about what he is doing. I have the elk round braid and my son has the newer flat wound version that has elk with the exception of the portion that attaches to the button. That portion is made from Bison and has added strength. These straps are extremely soft.
    Kenny B. Playing on a Stelling S-5Q #144
    Lakota Leathers strap
    Blue Chip CT55 pick & SR-50
    D'Addario J75 Strings
    Virtuoso Premium Polish / Yes I clean & polish my mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlackVeil View Post
    I've thought about this, I was thinking of talking to Mike Black one day about a custom with maybe a slit on the end of the neck that gives the effect of a raise fretboard, or maybe just a hole that goes all the way through the neck.
    This is how it looked on my Flatiron.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	128433  
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

To answer the OP's question, my leather straps have been on my Gibson and Strad-O-Lin for years with no marks. I always position it along the edge of the case before closing it.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Same Here! I always lay my strap away from my mandolin while in it's case.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    To answer the OP's question, my leather straps have been on my Gibson and Strad-O-Lin for years with no marks. I always position it along the edge of the case before closing it.
    Kenny B. Playing on a Stelling S-5Q #144
    Lakota Leathers strap
    Blue Chip CT55 pick & SR-50
    D'Addario J75 Strings
    Virtuoso Premium Polish / Yes I clean & polish my mandolin

Thanks all...appreciate the feedback. Now to do some shopping.

I think vinyl may be an issue , IDK what else IS, .. you got a list of Isn'ts.

Cotton Webbing is fine too..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I have the non-braided strap made from bison at Lakota Leathers. It's extremely soft. Too soon to tell if it will affect my nitro finish, but I'm not really worried about it.

19. The following members say thank you to bbaker2050 for this post:

Kowboy 

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlackVeil View Post
    I think it's generally safe to leave the strap in the case as long as the mandolins finish has had enough time to completely cure

I love the strap I got from Alan Gelman mandolin straps of montana. Really cool looking and I like the attachment system he has. He claims on his website that there is "NOTHING" on his straps that can harm a finish. I just think they're the best straps barre none. That's my opinion

http://www.mandolinstrapsofmontana.net/411052692

Alan makes killer straps...Looks just right on the Ellis....I had to look twice to see that it wasn't mine ;-)

Under Florida, would that make them "Cuban" straps?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Another vote for Lakota Leathers straps. Have had them continuously on a Petersen OM and a Taylor guitar (214) for at least 5 years with no ill effects. I use to use a Taylor Guitar leather strap (think they are made by Levy) on another Taylor guitar (814) and had it on the instrument continuously for about 14 years with no noticeable effect.
    Rob

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Meyer For This Useful Post:

I love both the Long Hollow and Lakota straps. Both are top notch in every respect.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

My scroll binding has discolored a little on my Flatiron from a natural leather strap.....doesn't bother me in the slightest....kind goes with all the beer spillage and huge worn spot since I don't have a finger rest.....I just call it character.... its my battle axe...

But I do have a pristine blonde Newell that I keep immaculate.....maybe the prettiest mando on the planet..... I use fabric strap on it and never had an issue...

I went with an inexpensive but still nice Levy's suede strap. I've tried tying under the neck extension, but found the mandolin kept wanting to pitch forward on me, so still tying at the headstock. I also bought one of the Martin Guitar Hooks for my guitar and can report its way to thick to fit under the strings on a mandolin headstock. All that said, Alan Gelman's strap are definitely in my future though.
    Last edited by timcw4; Jan-11-2015 at 11:32am.

Captain Bringdown here

It still IS a 'does and DONTS' according to Martin and Gibson OEM manuals-both indicate one would not to leave any strap in contact with the finish in the case.

My forty year old martin straps have never reacted, but, I never left them next to the guitar, always removed them. Nor has my new Martin strap, ditto.

Here's the deal, leathers can be tanned n a variety of ways, and, they gas out over time. That's the leather smell we all love.
    Vinyls and plastics are much worse, and continue to gas out for years. I don't know about Nylon.

heres my conjecture:
    if you handle your instrument daily and shift the contact points, and allow it a bit of air where it normally makes contact, as opposed to being constantly pressed against an area for a long period, it is more likely that nothing will happen.

but not guaranteed, especially with any plastics. This could include some synthetic cords used to tie the neck I imagine, as well as those big plastic/vinyl 'leather-like' end pieces on some straps.

FWIW, I have seen older patch cords deteriorate , the old rubberish clad kind, and badly melt nitro.
    I again speculate that there is a reaction between materials. Thus my thought on periodically shifting and airing things.

I have the ultimate cheapo plane jane leather strap-a strap with slots at each end-very dry type of leather, and have had no issues
    in leaving it around my scrolls for a week or so at a time, but with daily play-it never lies under the body.

I also have a heavier homemade strap, and I remove it every time I finish, as it seems oiled, and I don't want any issues.

simply, if you don't want a reaction burn, be it from leather, plastic, vinyl, a Damp It, and anything else that was created with some sort of mineral or oil based solvent -don't risk it-repairing anything that goes into the finish is a big deal.

fwiw, I don't trust manufacturers-I have new Daddario micro tuner, represented as finish safe, and, it WASNT-it reacted with my good mando's finish, on the face of the headstock in only two hour of being clamped. It has some sort of soft (an indicator of plasticizer) plastic pads.

Cotton is safe, and, so is pure wool.

Thanks Steve - actually, my decision was made for me. The A style case I have fits a little too snuggly for comfort with a strap still on, so I'll be rolling it up and storing it by the headstock where there's more room.

That said, I've been experimenting today & found that tying at the headstock was knocking me out of tune (probably my fault on bad strap set up). So I swiped Ivan's idea and did some chopping on my old flea market strap and took the nylon button out of a Martin strap hook. Definitely still a work in progress (cosmetically) but I'm liking this set up atm . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150111_074853.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	128763