Thread: Headphone pre-amp suggestions

Unhappy

What are your recommendations for a nice little inexpensive portable headphone pre-amp, so I can rock out on an electric solidbody through headphones? Effects such as distortion, reverb, or even chorus are defintely plusses, but so is a small size. (Am I asking for too much in a little package? # )

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Have you looked at the Korg Pandora PX4? I've considered one myself but they're not that cheap, though they occasionally run a special where they throw in a pair of cordless headphones.

That looks very nice, but I was thinking of something way cheaper, perhaps < $50. I just did some eBay surfing and saw the Arion Hot Watt II, which at $49, is more in line with my budget for this item; any feedback on it or something comparable?

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

I've got a pocket rockit that is a few years old that has distortion, chorus, and I believe reverb on it. It works pretty well. If you want it, I'll sell it to you for $30 + $5 shipping. I use a Line 6 POD now when I want to play through headphones. It sounds better, which is what you would expect for 300 smackers. PM me if you want it. Do a google search and you can see what the newest model looks like.
    Forget with the cowbell, already...

An old Rockman would be great...nice dirt, but not overbearing, good chorus...lots of fun...
    PeacE
    Brian

Danelectro pocket studio. got mine for $25, distortion and slap echo, comes with headphones with a long cord plus a belt clip.
    73 - KI4REX - Ryan

unknown vintage mandolin

Default Re: Headphone pre-amp suggestions

Don't buy the AmPlug from Vox...the idea is good, I mean it is nice, but very cheaply made...every one I had, the plug in connection gets worn out quickly...maybe had I kept the headphones plugged in all the time, it might've lasted longer. If you can find an ARION HOT WATT II somewhere...it's about the size of a Walkman a bit bigger, has 4 effects choices and it's great. I lost the first one I had, or sold it, and just found another one on eBay...it should be here soon. Similar to a Rockman headphone amp but I like the ARION HOT WATT II much better. Look on eBay for one, you'll love it. Trust me.

Agree on avoiding the Vox AmPlugs! As far as these micro amps go, I've had good results so far from the Valeton Rushead Max ($40), and my wife is happy with the new Fender Mustang Micro even though it's overpriced (but in fairness it has Bluetooth on the aux input).

Both units sound great and have all the effects you want, and we like that they have USB rechargeable lithium ion batteries. We're not comfortable with these things hanging off our guitars and mandolins though, so we run instrument cables into a tuner and plug the micro amps into that (which also makes it way easier to work the settings).

9. The following members say thank you to jparis51 for this post:

lenf12 

I used to install these, along with an input jack for MP3 player, in electric mandolins. You could listen to yourself play as well as run backing tracks through it to play against. https://www.guitarfetish.com/Onboard...nes_p_567.html It had a crazy wiring diagram because I had to account for the different impedance between the various devices. Stand alone for playing is great. I've seen them put in small candy tins so that you can use them with any instrument. Use a stereo jack and wire it so that it is only turned on when the jack is installed so you don't burn through batteries.

11. The following members say thank you to thistle3585 for this post:

Alfons 

Quote Originally Posted by jparis51 View Post
    As far as these micro amps go, I've had good results so far from the Valeton Rushead Max ($40), and my wife is happy with the new Fender Mustang Micro even though it's overpriced (but in fairness it has Bluetooth on the aux input).

Both units sound great and have all the effects you want, and we like that they have USB rechargeable lithium ion batteries. We're not comfortable with these things hanging off our guitars and mandolins though, so we run instrument cables into a tuner and plug the micro amps into that (which also makes it way easier to work the settings).
    I recently bought the Rushead Max based on a recommendation (most likely yours, thank you very much jparis51) and totally agree. It sounds really good and has all the effects I'll ever need for silent playing in my apartment. It's the best $40 I've spent in a long time.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

13. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

You're more than welcome, enjoy!

I got a Valeton Rushhead Max off Amazon for $40.
    https://www.amazon.com/VALETON-Headp...s%2C184&sr=8-4
    Amazingly good sound and effects.

Question Re: Headphone pre-amp suggestions

Will An Amp that cuts out the speaker as soon as you plug in a headphone work well enough?

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture