Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is Paul McCartney?

Default Re: Who is Paul McCartney?

To those of you who believe musicians should "know when to quit":

What do you do for a living? Is your best work behind you? How come you don't know when to quit?

For that matter, maybe your best cafe posts are behind you. When are you going to give it up?
    "Few noises are so disagreeable as the sound of the picking of a mandolin."

2. The following members say thank you to Tom Smart for this post:

The best part is that Paul is at the point in life where what anybody thinks probably doesn't matter too much to him. He's managed to make it in an industry that few can even stay remotely attached to business wise. Personally, I think they were lost when they let Pete Best go but hey, everybody is entitled to their own opinion.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Smart View Post
    What do you do for a living? Is your best work behind you? How come you don't know when to quit?
    I do know my fun work is behind me. But luckily, in my profession we don't have "fans"

maybe your best cafe posts are behind you.
    I'll tell you that when I know it: right after my last post.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

...maybe your best cafe posts are behind you. When are you going to give it up?
    My best Cafe' posts were deleted by moderators long ago!!!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John Flynn For This Useful Post:

To those of you who believe musicians should "know when to quit":

What do you do for a living?
    I'm a bureaucrat. I work for the Commonwealth.

Is your best work behind you?
    Undoubtedly.

How come you don't know when to quit?
    I'll know when to quit when I scratch off that $1M lottery ticket.

For that matter, maybe your best cafe posts are behind you. When are you going to give it up?
    When you pry the Cafe from my cold dead hands.

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    When you pry the Cafe from my cold dead hands.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Blog Entries

http://www.dailydot.com/lol/who-is-paul-mccartney/

Despite the questionable veracity of the original post, the side bar conversations, that would not have existed but for the hoax, have taken a life of their own.

I love this place.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Despite the questionable veracity of the original post, the side bar conversations, that would not have existed but for the hoax, have taken a life of their own.

I love this place.
    Hoaxes?

Since we're discussing Sir Paul, let's go whole hog and bring up the hoax of the century:

http://plasticmacca.blogspot.com/

http://sabotagetimes.com/music/the-c...artneys-death/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_is_dead

http://hoaxes.org/archive/permalink/paul_is_dead

According to that hoax, the guy you're talking about isn't even the original James Paul McCartney!

lol

McCartney certainly doesn't need any career boost--his recent tour and sales are proof that he still has a huge following all on his lonesome.

As for McCartney's music, I would argue that he's still writing at a pretty high level and performing at an amazing level.

We saw his final show at Candlestick Park in past August, and he delivered an incredible, high-energy show that ran nearly three hours. He sang and played bass, acoustic and electric guitars, ukulele, and keyboards at a level that most of us would envy--from solo acoustic numbers to full-tilt raves. He included some recent pieces, including several from New, and they stood up really well in the context of his fairly amazing catalog.

I suspect that few folks who saw that show would argue that he should have hung it up years ago. He's clearly still engaged, still doing what he loves, and still doing it well.

I don't love everything he's generated and a lot of his work in the middle years wasn't great, but I've really enjoyed much of what he's put out in the last decade or so. I think New is a good record on any terms, and some of those songs are real ear worms.

One could argue that Bill Monroe created his best music some 50 years before he finally joined the Angel Band, but I'm glad he didn't rest on his laurels and he kept creating and making music right up until the end. Some of it was lousy, some of it was terrific. I saw him many times over the years, and there were times that his performances were pretty shaky, but the energy and passion and creative drive still shone brightly.

I have no opinion on Kanye West's music. The little I've heard from him hasn't done a thing for me and his public persona and childish rants have turned me off from wanting to hear any more. I have no idea why McCartney collaborated with the guy, but he has a long history of one-off collaborations with all kinds of artists. from Lulu to Johnny Cash to Stevie Wonder to Tony Bennett. This is just one more.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

12. The following members say thank you to Paul Kotapish for this post:

rfloyd 

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    You can't rest on your laurels forever. Paul McCartney's best work is inarguably 45 years behind him.
    Wha, wha ... huh? It's been less than 8 years since he finally discovered the mandolin.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PMcCbig.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	128547
    The same cannot be said of Louie Armstrong and Frank Sinatra when John was a teenager listening to the Beatles.
    I'm no Sinatra expert, but Armstrong's schtick was getting pretty tired by the '60s. It had been a long time since the Hot 5.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I think the whole thing is a hoax. Yea there may in fact be folks that ignorant but I think the tweet thing is made up, to tweek old guys.
    Possible of course but even if so I saw a lot of young guys and gals who were taken in by it.....but personally I don't give that crowd that much credit. LOL!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlackVeil View Post
    I dont ask that his new work be as great as his old stuff. I just ask that it be honest, otherwise its no better than Kanye Wests music

Yikes! It's a great deal more honest than a random Youtube video with no context other than an obviously misleading title . . .
    Last edited by tree; Jan-06-2015 at 4:09pm. Reason: attempted to fix quote formatting that got deleted
    Clark Beavans

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Hoaxes?

Since we're discussing Sir Paul, let's go whole hog and bring up the hoax of the century...
    That was the hoax of the last century, this apparently is the hoax of this century although I think the Sony Hack is still better than this one.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kotapish View Post
    He sang and played bass, acoustic and electric guitars, ukulele, and keyboards at a level that most of us would envy--from solo acoustic numbers to full-tilt raves.
    Wait - no mandolin?!?

i think this video, from 1:14 on, pretty much sums up how Paul McCartney puts together songs, and how, sort of vapid it all really is. I just think its all a little cheesey and contrived. It doesnt have any honesty in it. This is how all of his recent work seems to me, ALL of it. Its almost like hes doing a parody of himself, but sadly, hes not.

I dont ask that his new work be as great as his old stuff. I just ask that it be honest, otherwise its no better than Kanye Wests music
    Actually, what he is discussing is stagecraft as much as writing itself, if not more so. He is looking for a way to elicit a specific reaction from the crowd for the closing song at this one event, and that involves aspects of a song beside the craft involved in writing. This is based on tried and true observations of crowd reactions, and most successful touring acts incorporate some of this into their stage show. You'd be foolish not to do this and simply rely on the crowd's affection for a song, and naive to think that this sort of manipulation isn't worked into these shows in one form or another.

He's talking about arranging the song so people will react a certain way, and someone who has been performing for well more than a half century knows how to work a crowd, whether or not it sounds cynical when he talks about it out loud in front of an intruding camera.

My band does the same thing on a smaller level, stuff like doing an a capella verse followed by an ensemble vocal verse to end a song, or a stop-time verse followed by an ensemble chorus to end a song. It's dramatic, dynamic arranging, and it works - every time. People make choices about their songwriting and arranging all the time with crowd reaction in mind, be they the richest performer in history or an obscure bar band. You want the crowd to leave with smiles on their faces (as Joni Mitchell said, "Leave them laughing when they go"), and this is a sure way to do it. That's show biz, and it ain't no big thing.
    Last edited by journeybear; Jan-06-2015 at 5:22pm.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Wait - no mandolin?!?

Actually, what he is discussing is stagecraft as much as writing itself, if not more so. He is looking for a way to elicit a specific reaction from the crowd for this one event, and that involves aspects of a song beside the craft involved in writing. This is based on tried and true observations of crowd reactions, and most successful touring acts incorporate some of this into their stage show. You'd be foolish not to do this and simply rely on the crowd's affection for a song, and naive to think that this sort of manipulation isn't worked into these shows in one form or another. He's talking bout arranging the song so people will react a certain way, and someone who has been performing for well more than a half century knows how to work a crowd, whether or not it sounds cynical.
    Makes sense, maybe I'm just reacting to the undeniable ugly side of all popular performance art and not just Paul. Doesn't really change how I feel about it but maybe I'm being a little hard on Paul. I do know he's super talented, probably the most talented Beatle musically. Many people close to the beatles say the same thing. I'm not one of those people who thinks Paul didn't do anything good after the beatles, but his recent stuff, I just can't get into. And I'm a young person in my 20s.

I just gave pauls new album a listen. Really it doesn't sound far off from a Kanye cd as far as the beats and the music. Just not my kind of thing, but really the collaboration makes more sense after listening to it.
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

Blog Entries

I just gave pauls new album a listen. Really it doesn't sound far off from a Kanye cd as far as the beats and the music ... the collaboration makes more sense after listening to it.
    Yikes! That's possibly the most awful thing that's been said here yet. Paul and Kanye - close stylistically to begin with? The overriding premise here has been that the collaboration doesn't make sense - which makes sense. And now this? The horror! The horror!

Oh well!

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Yikes! That's possibly the most awful thing that's been said here yet. Paul and Kanye - close stylistically to begin with? The overriding premise here has been that the collaboration doesn't make sense - which makes sense. And now this? The horror! The horror!

Oh well!
    I'm sure your not too aware of Kanyes music. (Maybe I'm wrong) but Kanye and that type of music was a big part of the culture when I was in school (not that long ago obviously) and I heard plenty of it. listen to a song like "struggle" before Paul starts singing in it, I could easily imagine Kanye coming in instead. That was the first song on the album. It's verh stylistically similar to a Kanye beat. It has that space agey, industrial type feel to it.
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

50 years from now people will say Paul McCartney was playing in my space pod last night. They will have NO idea who Kanye West was.

22. The following members say thank you to Rick Nelson for this post:

What's the old saying...
    "No such thing as bad publicity!"
    And it's gotten three pages here
    See what happens when too many mandolin folks get together? We talk about Paul McCartney and Kanye West.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Blog Entries

I admit to being not very familiar with Kanye's music, nor rap or hip-hop in general. Doesn't do much for me, and as I am a melody-oriented guy, I doubt it ever will. I still tune in to some acts when they perform on talk shows, and sometimes get all the way through the spot, and even tape some of them - though more often than not, it's because of the show they put on, not the song, especially the dancers. Sorry, that's about all that appeals to me in these performances. I don't care for people talking about subjects that don't interest me, and if you add to that volume, and anger, and attitude, and belligerent tone of voice, and repetition, and repetition, and repetition, you're just going to drive me away. I understand where rap came from, but it just seems to perpetuate stereotypes and hurtful times rather than point toward evolution and progress toward kinder times. The best thing I've heard in the genre has come in the past couple of year, with the inclusion of a singer providing a hook between verses. It's through B.O.B. that I was introduced to Bruno Mars, though I'm beginning to get the impression he's not living up to his promise.

I disagree with those who say it's not music, though. The three basic elements of music are rhythm, melody, and harmony; while rap has virtually no harmony, and precious little melody, it does have rhythm in abundance. It's music, all right, just not very good music. And most of it is sorely lacking in what I like about music - beauty, feeling, passion, kindness, warmth, cleverness, transcendence, exploration, innovation. Perhaps there is something of some of those in some raps, but I find so much of them off-putting that I don't want anything to do with it.

Beyond that, Kanye is guilty of one of the rudest, meanest, most selfish acts of boorish behavior I've ever seen - cutting off Taylor Swift in the middle of her acceptance speech at the 2009 VMAs, taking the mike right out of her hand and bellowing about how the award should have gone to Beyoncé, ruining her moment. She should have slapped him - he deserved no less. Whatever else he ever does, I doubt I'll ever forgive him for that.

Beyoncé herself was so aghast at this that when she won an award a little later, she gave up most of her moment so Taylor could enjoy the rest of hers. That's class.

All I knew about Kanye West is that he married a Kardasian, and if it wasn't in my face every day I wouldn't even have known that...

Well, that might be punishment enough for his crimes against good taste.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

27. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

I understand where rap came from, but it just seems to perpetuate stereotypes and hurtful times rather than point toward evolution and progress toward kinder times.
    That's exactly the reason I always gave for staying away from Blues. I guess these rappers wake up every morning.

Blog Entries

Well, OK, maybe the blues does rework several recurring themes, but at least it incorporates all three elements, and singing rather than speaking. Also, it allows for a lot of instrumental improvisation, even if the majority of songs have the same I-IV-V 12- or 16-bar structure. Indeed, given these few basics, it's remarkable how many variations have been produced.

The same can be said of bluegrass, and country, and even pop, though these tend to allow more freedom in chord structure, especially pop. There's something about the blues, though, that engenders empathy in the listener for whatever situation or feelings the singer is describing. Even if the listener isn't in the same emotional state, he can relate to the singer, as the music and lyrics resonate with him, touching him in some way, perhaps eliciting memories of having experienced similar situations and feelings. I don't get that from rap.

Songs in general work because they express what listeners cannot, but can relate to, and understand, and feel as though they would have said just that, if they only could. The expression "that's my song" results from this dynamic, when a song touches a listener in a meaningful way and creates an emotional resonance. That's the real magic of music - a mysterious combination of its elements that is greater than the sum of its parts.

...empathy in the listener for whatever situation the singer is decribing.
    True, that's one big difference. A rapper always seems to accuse the listener of being responsible for his (the rappers) situation. I guess that's attractive only if the listener tends to accuse others, too, and recognises a like mind.