Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is Paul McCartney?

Default Who is Paul McCartney?

OK, I thought this was a joke, but it is being reported as true by ABC News and USA Today. Apparently, Kanye West has collaborated with Paul McCartney on a single “Only.” That's not the story. The story is it has generated some interesting Tweets, including:

"I don't know who Paul McCartney is, but Kanye is going to give this man a career w/ this new song!!"

"who tf is paul mccartney???!??! this is why i love kanye for shining light on unknown artists"

"Who is Paul McCartney? Why do people love him?"

"I still don't know who Paul MacArthur (sp) is"

"...Kanye West's Paul McCarthy (sp) collab is dope."

Has the Apocalypse begun?

Default Re: Who is Paul McCartney?

Gotta be teenagers doing the tweets.....
    If I miss one day’s practice, I notice it. If I miss two days’ practice, the critics notice it. If I miss three days’ practice, the public notices it.
    Franz Liszt, 1894

No doubt, but I knew who Louie Armstrong and Frank Sinatra were when I was a teenager listening to the Beatles.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John Flynn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    OK, I thought this was a joke, but it is being reported as true by ABC News and USA Today. Apparently, Kanye West has collaborated with Paul McCartney on a single “Only.” That's not the story. The story is it has generated some interesting Tweets, including:

"I don't know who Paul McCartney is, but Kanye is going to give this man a career w/ this new song!!"

"who tf is paul mccartney???!??! this is why i love kanye for shining light on unknown artists"

"Who is Paul McCartney? Why do people love him?"

"I still don't know who Paul MacArthur (sp) is"

"...Kanye West's Paul McCarthy (sp) collab is dope."

Has the Apocalypse begun?
    No apocalypse just Kanye West fans -- enough said!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bernie Daniel For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

That's like those bumper stickers: "Who are The Grateful Dead and why do they keep following me?"

On second thought, it's nothing at all like that.

Yes, it would have to be kids tweeting those. Kids with earbuds in, paying attention only to the latest, most current music, not looking into where it came from or even the origin of the samples being used.

BTW, The Beatles broke up nearly 45 years ago, or two generations ago. I guess one could cut these clueless kids a little slack. Maybe a little. Just a little ...

Reading the above paragraph, i feel older than before ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Must. Keep. Practicing. Ben Cooper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    No apocalypse just Kanye West fans -- enough said!
    Yup!
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.” Socrates
    Seems every generation despairs of the generation that comes after.
    If I miss one day’s practice, I notice it. If I miss two days’ practice, the critics notice it. If I miss three days’ practice, the public notices it.
    Franz Liszt, 1894

More likely, they know who Paul is and are just screwing with us old folks a bit to see how many they get get a bit spun up.
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

12. The following members say thank you to Pete Braccio for this post:

You can't rest on your laurels forever. Paul McCartney's best work is inarguably 45 years behind him.

The same cannot be said of Louie Armstrong and Frank Sinatra when John was a teenager listening to the Beatles.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

14. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

Totally missed this (I got off GMA a long while ago). It really won't surprise me at all if young people today don't know who The Fab Four is (I actually had to explain that term to a friend recently) but is it possible everyone is just kidding around?
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...cartney-joking

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

OMG!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

17. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

derbex 

After I read this thread, I googled "Kanye West".

19. The following members say thank you to crisscross for this post:

Actually, it IS all kinda funny
    Franz Liszt, 1894

Can this Kanye person even play a note or is he just another guy dragging samples around?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

No, and no, but he does have plenty of money, enough to hire people to put together beats, backing tracks, and procure and pay for all the samples he wants.

Hidden in this is Paul McCartney's motivation. I saw a couple of interviews he did on the occasion of the release of a vieo game to which he contributed a newly-written song. Seems he wants his music to be included in a medium to which his kids pay attention. I'm sure he was quite handsomely compensated, as well. The sales of these games is mind-boggling, comparable to the box office of Hollywood movies. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was something similar in his mind regarding a collaboration with Kanye West. Also, bear in min d that one way immortality, or at least, greater career longevity, is achieved is to produce something that appeals to a younger age group than one's previous demographic. Sir Paul is a smart feller, after all, and he's always thinking ahead.

BTW, I haven't heard it yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn the song sucks. Seems like a bad fit.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Who is kanye west????????
    Thanks for your support?

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

...is but a walking shadow, a poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. A tale told by an idiot: full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
    (Shakespeare, Macbeth)
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    You can't rest on your laurels forever. Paul McCartney's best work is inarguably 45 years behind him. The same cannot be said of Louie Armstrong and Frank Sinatra when John was a teenager listening to the Beatles.
    Yeah, he's a has been. Three Grammies last year and one each for the previous three years. Packed 41 shows in some of the largest venues in the country this past year.

Also, when I was a teenager, all my contemporaries knew who Benny Goodman was. We weren't fans, but we were familiar with who he was and his sound.

when I was a teenager, all my contemporaries knew who Benny Goodman was. We weren't fans, but we were familiar with who he was and his sound.
    What has changed since is bandwidth (pun intended). Back then, there were only so many radio stations in your area and only so many vinyl records you could buy and swap with your friends. Nobody had a chance to avoid hearing everything.
    Today, nobody has a chance to hear even a percent of everything going on in the virtual media. The musical universe has expanded and the local event horizon is shrinking - so the world is back in the 19th century.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you're curious what Paul's been up to here's a recent interview on the Nerdist podcast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nerdistpaulmccartney.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	267.9 KB 
ID:	128530

Larry

Blog Entries

Yeah, he's a has been. Three Grammies last year and one each for the previous three years. Packed 41 shows in some of the largest venues in the country this past year.

Also, when I was a teenager, all my contemporaries knew who Benny Goodman was. We weren't fans, but we were familiar with who he was and his sound.
    Oh to be a has been!

I think with the electronic information flood and huge expansion options of things to do in life that historical perspectives on most aspects of the world are diminishing. Running on contrast is the ability to intensely focus on selected topics of interests. Like mandolins for this crowd for example.

Despite my comment about Kayne West fans it isn't just them.

Just click through many of the singing videos post by young folks (and some older folks as well) and you often find the song attribution given to the last person who got notoriety for performing/recording it.

Many (most?) of the current generation think that "I will always love you" is a Whitney Houston song for example --of course Dolly Parton wrote it and had a big country hit with it decades ago. "Will you still love me tomorrow" is often called an Amy Winehouse song despite the fact that the Carol King wrote it and the Shirelles first hit huge with it in the early 1960's.

Other examples abound.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    What has changed since is bandwidth (pun intended). Back then, there were only so many radio stations in your area and only so many vinyl records you could buy and swap with your friends. Nobody had a chance to avoid hearing everything.
    Today, nobody has a chance to hear even a percent of everything going on in the virtual media. The musical universe has expanded and the local event horizon is shrinking - so the world is back in the 19th century.
    OK, Interesting point. What I've always heard about these "social bandwidth" theories is that old guys like me are less able to cope with all the information overload than the teenagers. But if that is true, I should be saying, "Who is this kid collaborating with Sir Paul? Yet I not only know who Kanye is, I know who he's married to, what his kid's name is and some of his nefarious exploits.

What I've always heard about these "social bandwidth" theories is that old guys like me are less able to cope with all the information overload than the teenagers.
    Well, those theories are correct in my case at least, though I would not say it's ability that makes the difference, it's motivation. Even now I have no time to google Kayne...

Blog Entries

Yo, guys I'm Happy for you and I'mma let you finish (posting), but Kanye had one of the best videos of all time.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JEStanek For This Useful Post:

I honestly wish I didn't know who Kanye West was.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nickster60 For This Useful Post: