Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats considered one of the better mandolin kits(A style) to buy?

Question whats considered one of the better mandolin kits(A style) to buy?

used to build remote control airplanes from kits and motorcycles-love to do things like this. nowdays my time is really limited, but i'm just about thinking i'd like to buy a nice A style kit and take the time and learn.

i'm fixing up a small room upstairs we have to use as my inhouse build room-its small but neat and tidy. acquiring some building tools lately as well.

i would prefer a 1 3/16" nut width neck but i'm not seeing that offered anywhere-any ideas on that let me know. i might just end up using the neck that comes with kit and shaping my own-that would be good practice also.
    thinking i would want to do a bolt on neck first also-but thats not final.

looking for a kit with very good directions/plans, thats more important for me than great wood. i'll probably give it away when done to someone who is trying to learn to play but can't afford a decent mandolin(assuming of course it plays decent).

all thoughts, ideas, appreciated

thank you
    d

Default Re: whats considered one of the better mandolin kits(A style) to

The kits from Stewart MacDonald are very good quality, but I don't know if you get a 1 3/16" neck. I'm sure Roger Siminoff can accommodate the neck size, and he can supply a good kit too. You might call and talk with these suppliers and maybe they can give you enough information for you to make a choice that best suits you.

3. The following members say thank you to Michael Lewis for this post:

International Violin also sells a nice kit they are usually very helpful so call em and see what the kits neck dimensions are.

https://www.internationalviolin.com/...in-kit-a-model

But for what you specified (plans and neck) do as Michael Lewis suggested above and contact Mr Siminoff his kits are by far the best I have seen. They are also by far the most expensive but still cheaper than what you would pay for a quality import A style mando.

http://siminoff.net/a5-detail/
    http://parts.siminoff.net/a5mandolinkits.aspx
    If you want something that "barks" get a damn dog

5. The following members say thank you to Pribar for this post:

Siminoff's book "Building a Bluegrass Mandolin" is a "must have" book for mando building regardless of which kit is purchased, or if you do it from scratch.

The Saga kit from International Violin is a partially constructed kit which allows the novice with few tools to assemble, customize, and finish a partially built kit but allowing him to focus in on the graduation of the top and back for enhanced sound quality. It is a great learning experience and some folks on this site have produced remarkably interesting mandos as a result of using and modifying this kit. The wood is good but not "top quality" as you will find in one of Siminoff's kits. But the price of the kit from International Violin makes makes it a great choice for the beginner interested in learning about the mandolin and sound transmission.

If you are not a player yourself, why build a mando with a wider neck and fretboard than standard? Folks have been playing mandos for a very long time with few problems. Normally it is the player who is the problem, not the narrow fretboard of the mandolin. The narrow fretboard is just part of adjusting your playing to the mandolin. It is part of the learning process.

7. The following members say thank you to bart mcneil for this post:

I have not seen one in person but I would give serious consideration to Chris Baird's kits. About the same price as Siminoff, but his come with the rim jig. The head block is already cut and the dove tail is already cut. Siminoff will cut which ever kneck joint you want, but it is not included in the price of the kit.
    Of course one consideration may be the shape of the mandolin. The Baird mandolin and the Siminoff mandolin have different shapes.
    You will need to contact Chris to see if he is currently producing kits.
    Bill Snyder

9. The following members say thank you to Bill Snyder for this post:

I'd love to try out one of Chris Baird's kits. They look wonderful. However, I put my name on the waiting list last summer and sent him an email asking about kits a couple of weeks ago. I haven't heard back yet. I guess he's busy.

That being said, I had a good experience with the International Violin kit. They're much cheaper than the other kits, and they're the most "complete" as far as construction goes. The materials and fit are likely to be much better with a Stewmac or Siminoff kit, but it's a cheap way to find out if you like building or not. The neck joint on the IV kit was pretty loose, so I had to get creative on getting it to fit, but it turned out well. I still need to put the finish on, as I haven't decided which stain to use yet.

Here's my build thread if you'd like to have a look at it. http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...0-Build-Thread
    Last edited by Whittle; Jan-09-2015 at 11:58am.

11. The following members say thank you to Whittle for this post:

Blog Entries

check out this one, from MusicMakers (Stillwater, MN.) http://www.harpkit.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?
    I think, therefore, I pick.

13. The following members say thank you to Richard J for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Richard J View Post
    check out this one, from MusicMakers (Stillwater, MN.) http://www.harpkit.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?
    The kit that Musicmakers stocks is not an A-style mandolin. It is what they call "Dakota" style (apparently after the designer's daughter), with the ribs made up of segmented pieces, sort of like a violin.

At Musicmaker's request, I assembled one of the prototype Dakota mandolin kits and found it lacking in several areas. I suggested some areas of re-design, many of which ended up in the final production kit. But I haven't played a production model, and can't testify to its tonal properties. As a rule, I've found their kits to be engineered more for ease of assembly than tonal quality, although their harps are quite popular among harpers.
    -- John LaTorre
    Sacramento, California USA
    "Good judgment is the product of experience. Experience is the product of bad judgment" -- old aviation proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Whittle View Post
    I'd love to try out one of Chris Baird's kits. They look wonderful. However, I put my name on the waiting list last summer and sent him an email asking about kits a couple of weeks ago. I haven't heard back yet. I guess he's busy.

That being said, I had a good experience with the International Violin kit. They're much cheaper than the other kits, and they're the most "complete" as far as construction goes. The materials and fit are likely to be much better with a Stewmac or Siminoff kit, but it's a cheap way to find out if you like building or not. The neck joint on the IV kit was pretty loose, so I had to get creative on getting it to fit, but it turned out well. I still need to put the finish on, as I haven't decided which stain to use yet.

Here's my build thread if you'd like to have a look at it. http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...0-Build-Thread
    excellent thread of yours-thanks for posting, lots of insight there
    d

at this point i'm drawn to the Siminoff and Stewmac kits-both seem to offer good customer support and service if needed.
    probably will get the Siminoff book and Macrostie DVD irregardless which direction i go.

did receive an interesting reply from Mr Siminoff today regarding my desire for the wider nut width:

Daryl…
    The design width for the A-5 mandolin neck is 1-1/8". However, the necks are flared where the wood meets the fretboard, so that you can fair it up to the fretboard binding and end up with a 1-3/16" nut width with no major problems.
    Best,
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by bart mcneil View Post
    Siminoff's book "Building a Bluegrass Mandolin" is a "must have" book for mando building regardless of which kit is purchased, or if you do it from scratch.

The Saga kit from International Violin is a partially constructed kit which allows the novice with few tools to assemble, customize, and finish a partially built kit but allowing him to focus in on the graduation of the top and back for enhanced sound quality. It is a great learning experience and some folks on this site have produced remarkably interesting mandos as a result of using and modifying this kit. The wood is good but not "top quality" as you will find in one of Siminoff's kits. But the price of the kit from International Violin makes makes it a great choice for the beginner interested in learning about the mandolin and sound transmission.

If you are not a player yourself, why build a mando with a wider neck and fretboard than standard? Folks have been playing mandos for a very long time with few problems. Normally it is the player who is the problem, not the narrow fretboard of the mandolin. The narrow fretboard is just part of adjusting your playing to the mandolin. It is part of the learning process.
    Bart
    thanks for the insight on the Siminoff book, will definitely plan to get it.

i am a player and i highly prefer the wider fretboards so i can get a 1 3/16" area at the nut to work with-just a personal preference there. i don't see it as a problem. i think Sam Bush prefers wider nut widths, and in the last few years Adam Steffey has went that direction also(Adam btw is a primary driving force in regards to Northfield designing in the 1 3/16" nut width fretboards. Adam lives within 40 minutes of me and is a frequent visitor/player at Carter Fold. Speaking with him one day back in midsummer(i was interested in learning more about the NF mandolins, Adam told me he was becoming more favored with the 1 3/16" size as he gets older. He had acquired a Collings MT with such spec and liked it so much he intriqued NF to inject that offering in the lineup.)

i can "adjust" to playing a less wide space, but i'm much more comfortable and play more natural and at ease with the wider space.

thanks again for your reply and advice
    d

the "learning to play but can't afford a decent mandolin" fits me to a tee....... (hint, hint)
    If I miss one day’s practice, I notice it. If I miss two days’ practice, the critics notice it. If I miss three days’ practice, the public notices it.
    Franz Liszt, 1894

I have never offered a total kit before, but have built and sold rims and necks in both A style and F style for several years... I've meet some great people, and they have done wonderful things with parts that I have supplied... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2793.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	128704
    kterry

Quote Originally Posted by buckhorn View Post
    I have never offered a total kit before, but have built and sold rims and necks in both A style and F style for several years... I've meet some great people, and they have done wonderful things with parts that I have supplied... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2793.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	128704
    those look nice. and i will tell you i'm a huge fan of what i hear coming from the mandolins you build!
    i like to listen to someone playing a Buckhorn a lot.

this would be an excellent 2nd build for me i think.

thanks for replying
    d

There's this one on Amazon I've had my eye on. It's the only one I've seen with no sound holes pre-cut, so you can design your own holes or put in side ports or whatever.

http://www.amazon.com/Mandolin-Kit-M.../dp/B00L42ONGK

Quote Originally Posted by bart mcneil View Post
    Big Muddy makes mandos and mandolas with the option for a wider nut and I've heard nothing but good things about their whole line. My Breedlover Crossover has a wider than normal nut and it plays excellently.

Petrus, you can get that same kit at International Violin for $130.00.
    Bill Snyder

24. The following members say thank you to Bill Snyder for this post:

Petrus 

Blog Entries

Don't forget Chris Baird's kits although it seems his As are out of stock.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

26. The following members say thank you to Pete Jenner for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Jenner View Post
    thanks Pete
    yea I looked at those and they did look nice, but there's a message about nonavailability and to get on a wait list. I've inquired but had no reply-but its not been long and its fell on a weekend. no rush on my part.

d

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Jenner View Post
    Already mentioned in post #5.
    Bill Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by Richard J View Post
    What an intriguing site, thank you for posting it.. I never knew about it before. I think their "Dakota" style has a lot of appeal, and reading the clearly presented .pdf instructional files almost makes me want to build one.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    Already mentioned in post #5.
    That'll learn me to read the posts properly.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Bill Snyder

That Dakota style is intriguing ... almost like a Paracho Quatro, but a little more angular.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    What an intriguing site, thank you for posting it.. I never knew about it before. I think their "Dakota" style has a lot of appeal, and reading the clearly presented .pdf instructional files almost makes me want to build one.

bratsche
    I just ordered a Renaissance Guitar kit from them, but with octave mando strings, pin bridge and 8 hole drilled headstock. Should this first attempt come out decent, I'll likely give the Dakota Mandola a shot.
    =============================
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    =============================
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce