Thread: Mandolins in $9k - $14K range that sound close to a Gilchrist

Default Mandolins in $9k - $14K range that sound close to a Gilchrist

I know another mandolin tone quest question… don't hate. But does one exist? I've never played a Duff and wasn't sure if Paul Duff learned to build under Gilchrist's tutelage. I know this is a generalization since they're both from Australia.

Default Re: Mandolins in $9k - $14K range that sound close to a Gilchrist

A Gilchrist Model 3.

3. The following members say thank you to barry for this post:

Blog Entries

Precisely.

The only way something will really "sound like a Gilchrist" is if it is a Gilchrist. The Model 3's are excellent.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

5. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

I think all of the Gilchrists, even the ovals, have a certain "family resemblance" in the sound. But I think a Gil Model 3 (or maybe even Model 3 Junior) would get you all the way there.

7. The following members say thank you to blauserk for this post:

I'm a big believer in visual aids. Note the front row.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gilandkids-11-10-14-med.jpg 
Views:	658 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	128761

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blauserk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Winfield View Post
    I know another mandolin tone quest question… don't hate. But does one exist? I've never played a Duff and wasn't sure if Paul Duff learned to build under Gilchrist's tutelage. I know this is a generalization since they're both from Australia.
    I think the answers you've gotten so far are good ones. Only a Gil is going to sound like a Gil.
    To address your implied question regarding Paul Duff, I don't think that he "learned to build under Gilchrist's tutelage". I'm pretty sure that at some point in his building career, Paul Duff has consulted with Steve Gilchrist and studied his build styles. I'm told the two of them are friends that respect each other's work.

There is a lot of interesting info here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUVO014tEmE

I can't say there is any special Austalian mojo involved, but in my humble opinion, both men build a really fine mandolin.

11. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Walter Johnson of June mandolins makes X braced mandolins that are voiced with the older X braced Gilchrists as the goal. They are significantly cheaper than your price range. Don't let the lack of a big name and cheaper price fool you, these are very nice mandolins. I do own several bigger name mandolins, but I bought one of Walter's too.

'People' are complimenting their Kimble 2 points a lot these days... ...it sounds similar to a Gilchrist with Red Spruce and Sugar Maple... And the Sugar Duff! .

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldGus For This Useful Post:

I've heard Red Diamonds are every bit the mandolin as Gilchrists. But I've not played or heard a Gilchrist so I don't honestly know.

Tom
    Gibson F-5G (Harvey signed, Oct. 14, 2014)

16. The following members say thank you to drbluegrass for this post:

A Kimble or a red diamond isn't going to sound much like a Gilchrist. They're totally different voices. Kimbles and red diamonds are takes on traditional gibson tone, gils are something different altogether
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LongBlackVeil For This Useful Post:

I have experience with Heiden, Ellis, Red Diamond and Gilchrist. I wouldn't say any were better, only different. It depends on what sound you prefer. I currently play a Heiden (deep, rich) and a Red Diamond (clear, crisp and well balanced). All are fine mandolins.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobrem For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bobrem View Post
    I have experience with Heiden, Ellis, Red Diamond and Gilchrist. I wouldn't say any were better, only different. It depends on what sound you prefer. I currently play a Heiden (deep, rich) and a Red Diamond (clear, crisp and well balanced). All are fine mandolins.
    Which says it all, really.

If you want a Mercedes - get one, don't buy a Bentley hoping it will drive and handle like a Mercedes, because it won't. It may be the same "quality" but different beasts entirely. You only end up disappointed if you buy one thing hoping it will turn out to be something else.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Thanks all for your replies. As much as I love the Gilchrist sound, I know myself pretty well, and I know I really want an F-style. The Gilchrist is financially just not feasible so that's off the table. Now that I've come to my senses… it's back to the thrill of the hunt.

I've owned a Gilchrist F and currently have a Duff F. They are not similar in sound and I actually prefer the Duff. That being said, once you get into that $5000 and up range, the tonal qualities become very subjective. It's not what's better but what sound you're looking for. If you want the Gilchrist tone don't get a Duff.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roccus For This Useful Post:

Also, some of the generalities mentioned above about certain brand can also extend to different eras from a particular builder listen to an earlier Gil that is X braced and compare to the tone bar braced of today. You hear a totally different instrument. Kimbles in the the early years had a more "modern" voice compared to the Kimbles of today that strive for that Loar type sound. Much like wine tasting, easy generalities can peal away when one looks deeper into the subject. Also listen different models from a builder. For example, listen to a Gil C(classical) or oval and you will hear a very distinct difference. I love this MC community. Most of what I just wrote was as a result of being part of this wonderful family or being stimulated to hear those great builders by this community.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

27. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

I guess I should add a qualifier though. SOME Gilchrist are voiced to have a more traditional loar tone. Mike Comptons for example Is supposed to be as close as possible to Monroes loar. Mike says it's the most monroe mandolin he's ever had.

Also, ellis is definitely a contender if you want that deep complex sound. Not sure how close it is to a Gil, but it's definitely not worse, just different. I know someone who has a Gil as a backup for their ellis
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LongBlackVeil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Winfield View Post
    Thanks all for your replies. As much as I love the Gilchrist sound, I know myself pretty well, and I know I really want an F-style. The Gilchrist is financially just not feasible so that's off the table. Now that I've come to my senses… it's back to the thrill of the hunt.
    Nothing cured me of wanting to have a scroll on my mandolin like having one. You pay such a premium for that ornamentation.

That said, it would be more like $15-16k, but you could get a Gil 5 Junior.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5jr3jrinthewhite.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	128810Click image for larger version. 

Name:	giljuniors.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	128811

31. The following members say thank you to blauserk for this post:

If you have 14K to drop on a mando, take some time and save up another 2k. I'm sure you can find a used, beat up F5 gil for 14 - 16k.

33. The following members say thank you to Hallmark498 for this post:

A used Gilchrist could be found in the 17-18k range with a lot of looking and asking around. If you're set on buying something in the 9-14k range, I would look very strongly at Heiden and the Crusher voiced Red Diamond. They aren't exactly Gilchrist in sound, but they share a lot of the same tonal palette.

35. The following members say thank you to Mark Seale for this post:

It sounds to me like you really want a Gilchrist. Which makes me think that spending up to $14k on something that is not exactly what you want sounds like a bad idea with a potential loss of cash if you end up selling it again. Keep saving and hang in there for the time being. You're pretty close as it is!

37. The following members say thank you to jochemgr for this post:

Blog Entries

Its apples to oranges kinda like lstenening to David Bromberg than going for some JD Crowe, Sound id in the "EAR"of the beholder! Sure there are loads of mandolins that souund better than Gils! Hell I like the old vintage tones, its ones personal choice,playloads of whatever yacan get your hands on and ya may be real surprised on what you like! Just cause so and so plays one of these that must mean I need one also to achieve that sound! Not entirely TRUE! So get out there and get pickin were fortunate to live in an ae where their are loads of great instruments being turned out buy all these spectacular makers!

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

I was really getting the Gilchrist itch until I got to compare a Red Diamond Crusher voiced F against a new Gilchrist. Granted the RD had a little more age to it but not too much. The RD had more going on. So to blue grasser78's point… I agree.

Registered User Richard.g.hampton's Avatar

"As much as I love the Gilchrist sound, I know myself pretty well, and I know I really want an F-style." There's your problem (and it gets us all one way or another)......if you want the Gil sound within that budget, the Model 3 is the way to go. My Model 3 will hold its own against any Gil Model 5 that I've seen or heard. If the scroll is key....you have to make compromises......personally, I've not regretted going "scroll-less" for a single second.......but that's just me, I guess

You can stop this thread quick by just saying no two mandolins sound the same including Gils. So what is a Gil sound? Heck most still are arguing over what a Loar sound is, so don't think you can pigeon hole a Gil sound all to it's own! You got that much money to spend you need to play as many in that range as you can and buy the one you think sounds like the Gil sound you are looking for. PS: Don't ask anyone else their opinion before you buy it. They aren't buying it!

43. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

Call Chad at Greg Boyd's House of Fine Instruments.

http://gregboyd.com