Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheet Music on a Tablet

Default Sheet Music on a Tablet

I am hoping someone will have some experience with this and be willing to make helpful suggestions. I am wanting to purchase a tablet (Android or IPad) with the express purpose of uploading sheet music that I have in books and sitting around in notebooks. How well does this work with either platform and what apps are available that work well in doing this. Any help with this would be appreciated. I am thinking that the local stores wouldn't necessarily be knowledgeable with what I want to do.

Thanks,

--charlie

Default Re: Sheet Music on a Tablet

I know a number of jazz players that refer to pdf files now, instead of fake books, for tunes they don't play often. It's smaller to take a portable device than a box of sheet music.

I am sure that the real books are available as PDFs or ebooks. I have a friend who also has a foot pedal for her iPod to turn pages.

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I started using iPad for my gigging sheet music and it has really changed my life. I was doing the same thing as my band mates, keeping music in big heavy binders and using page protectors too, which collectively double the weight. We have a library of hundreds of songs. But now the entire library is just the weight of the tablet.

I use the ForScore app for organizing the music. I bought it 6 months ago for 1.99. It is now 9.99 and worth every penny. You can organize your music multiple ways in any way you choose- by libraries, set lists, genres, composers, etc. there is ever a built in tuner and metronome. Not the main purpose but a neat little bonus anyway. You can get your music in there a number of ways. It just needs to be a PDF. You can purchase it or download from free sites, or scan it yourself. I scan it as a PDF then e ail it to myself. You can also use Dropbox if you have it.

I also have the Cicada Bluetooth pedal for turning pages. Works like a charm. No wires.

I would advise buying an iPad with the highest memory you can afford. The basic model will not be enough if you do other things with it. Mine is 32G. I wish I had bought 64. But regardless ForScore is the way to go.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to multidon For This Useful Post:

Jess L.Miked 

Here's a related question that someone will hopefully know the answer to: How do you make PDF files? I have all sorts of things on my computer in .mus format (that I've created in Finale PrintMusic), and printing them out is easy, of course. But there is no way to post them online, unless I figure the PDF thing out (I use Foxit Reader to view them). Thanks for any help!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Hi Charlie,
    I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 12.2 with the main purpose of organizing my sheet music. I also looked at an iPad, but much prefer the larger display on the Samsung. It lets you view sheets almost in letter size.
    There are several software options available in the Android play store. Upon a recommendation I have chosen mobilesheets:
    http://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/
    I love it. I already had plenty of pdf scans from my books for these big binders. pdf or image files can be imported easily. You can also just take a photo of a page or a screenshot. Tunes can be arranged in multiple ways, set lists created, etc.
    Also works great with a bluetooth pedal. NFI, just very glad I have my repertoire (or practice material) of more than 300 tunes/pieces virtually at my fingertips.
    Last edited by Manfred Hacker; Jan-10-2015 at 10:12pm.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manfred Hacker For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    Here's a related question that someone will hopefully know the answer to: How do you make PDF files? I have all sorts of things on my computer in .mus format (that I've created in Finale PrintMusic), and printing them out is easy, of course. But there is no way to post them online, unless I figure the PDF thing out (I use Foxit Reader to view them). Thanks for any help!

bratsche
    You can buy Adobe, but if you are on Mac, just start print, and there's an option to save as a pdf.

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post

bratsche
    If you scan something, you can have the scanned copy emailed to yourself as a PDF file. If your sheet music is in unbound sheets, it's pretty easy/quick if you have access to a good copier. But if it's bound as a book, the copying is a pain. bb

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    You can buy Adobe, but if you are on Mac, just start print, and there's an option to save as a pdf.
    I'm on a PC, and hoped for free, as I'm broke, but your idea prompted me to look at the many options under "print" - which I would have never thought of! Foxit Reader has an option for printing to a .pdf file, and I tried it, with success! So, thanks for the "hint"!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

13. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post:

Charlie, all the suggestions are spot on. I do however prefer a thin laptop pc, 8 meg of ram, one trig bite of hard drive, Bluetooth, and all the goodies. I'm 68, eyes not so great, have some health issues, and shakes. I handle the laptop great, But the ipod, ipad and kindles are touch screen mostly, and if I try to touch, my darn hand will touch it somewhere and then off I on a goose chase I go. And I prefer the larger screen for the ole peepers. fred
    'Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life?
    Think I'll just loaf today then. Fred.

Thank you for your posts. This is most helpful.

--charlie

Bullzip PDF printer is a free download that works well to allow you to print to a pdf.

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred Hacker View Post
    Upon a recommendation I have chosen mobilesheets
    2nd vote for Mobilesheets. It supports a lot of great features, including mass import from a folder of PDFs or JPEGs. I use it on a Nexus 10 but I really wanted a Tab 12 for it. TAS to go with my MAS?

If anyone wants to go the whole hog and start digitising their printed music collection, Scan Tailor is a free and well featured option with a bit of a steep learning curve. I digitised four books I had purchased that weren't available electronically, and having a catalogue at my fingertips is so handy. I made this based off digital photos I took, as the book was comb bound.

http://scantailor.org/

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyC For This Useful Post:

Another vote for Mobilesheets. Great program! I run it on a Samsung Galaxay note 2014. And PDF Creator is free, and will run on about any pc.

Good luck.

20. The following members say thank you to bmm5255 for this post:

I recall reading of one with a foot pedal to 'change the Page' without taking a hand off the playing.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

If you get an iPad, I recommend Deepdish GigBook. I really like that I can add a multipage songbook, and then select specific songs that will be isolated as individual song sheets. Here's the link: http://deepdishdesigns.com/gigbook.html

I have a app list at:http://www.mandotunes.com/media/musicapps/index.html

23. The following members say thank you to johnbaxter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    I recall reading of one with a foot pedal to 'change the Page' without taking a hand off the playing.
    Just read my post above
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain

I joined Scribd, which also has an iPad App, sort of a Netflix for books, you can access their massive library, downloading (for keeps) things that you want. There are numerous, even endless, sheet music there (and I have even copped full Opera Scores), including a load of Ukulele, piano and Mandolin Methods, and sheet music. Well worth the $9 or so per month subscription price. Its like 200+ publications you can carry with you....don't even need to be on line, if you've downloaded it.

You can try the service free for a few weeks, I think, so see for yourself.

Craig
    Beaufort, SC

PS....most of my Mandolin tunes I store in my personal songbook at Chordie.com, as they include tabs for Mandolin, Uke or Guitar (plus other instrument, but those are all I play!)

Thanks,

--charlie[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I am sure that the real books are available as PDFs or ebooks.
    I recently got a Kindle primarily for books (less weight to tote, added benefit of not lugging my laptop for internet connections when I travel. And no, my phone "hain' gone tru eleben' grade."). Then I discovered it could carry my knit/crochet patterns. Now I hear it can hold sheet music for my mando/dulcimer herd?

Oh, Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!

Connie

ps. Beware using "sheet music" as your search entry on Amazon. You're likely to get more than you expected.
    Connie

I agree with Dan concerning ForeScore. I have been using it for several years and upgrades. One thing Dan didn't mention (which he may not use) is the ability to add mark-ups or edits. I use this program for all my sheets including our orchestra performance music. I also highly recommend wireless foot pedals as well as a music stand style holder for the iPad, both of these items will make the experience better.
    MLT
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Labraid Cytole

28. The following members say thank you to MLT for this post:

MLT, it's Don not Dan. But call me whatever, just don't call me late for supper!

Yes, that is a great feature. It's called Annotate and you can hand write notes to yourself just like you would on paper, only with a virtual pencil, then save it that way. You can reverse that with a virtual eraser. And there is a virtual highlighter if you want something to pop out at you. My wife, a bass player, highlights the chords.

You can also crop, meaning if you have a lot of extraneous border on your scan you can enlarge the music so that there is no excess fat, so to speak.

A very versatile program. I haven't even used all the features yet. As I said before, the best 9.99 you'll spend if you already have a iPad.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

30. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Thank you all for your insights. This is most helpful.

Try FoxIt. Free PDF Reader / Creator for Windows.
    Northfield A5S "Grey Fox"
    Northfield Model M
    Weber Sweet Pea

I went the route of an iPad (32 GB) and am using the OnSong app. It takes PDFs, but what I like the most is the ability to take text files of lyrics, add chords in any key, then OnSong can instantly transpose to any other key. I have a tripod for the iPad that I take to jams. It is great to be rid of the notebooks and paper sheet music!
    2008 Big Muddy M-0
    2012 The Loar LM-400 wth CA bridge

"Sing joyfully; make music with the mandolin. Sing a new song; Play skillfully with joy!"
    (Adapted from Psalm 33)

34. The following members say thank you to Gary Flye for this post:

I keep waiting for a tablet or e-reader that has a screen the same size as a sheet of 8.5 X 11" sheet of paper. Sony Digital Paper (https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/show-d...r:digitalpaper) is the right size but waaaay too expensive for it's limited functionality. I see that there are 12+"diagonal tablets coming onto the market (HP and a rummored Apple product) but the aspect ratios are set up for viewing movies (1.7 aspect ratio) vs paper (1.3) so all my lyrics are too wide to get a full page on screen without it getting too small for my old, tired eyes. I have Hundreds of single sheet song pages with chords down the left margin and lyrics to the right that I wilc eventually convert and scan (for thereally old pre digital sheets) as pdfs when the right product comes along.
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

36. The following members say thank you to Steve Lavelle for this post: