Thread: New Amp Day: Carvin AG200

Blog Entries

Default New Amp Day: Carvin AG200

Moderator, please change the title of this thread to:
    New Amp Day: Carvin AG200
    (Sorry for the confusion everyone)

I have been in the market for a new acoustic amp in the +/- $500 price range for some time now, and having just sold some gear, I decided to purchase a new Carvin AG200 acoustic amp.

I got to spend several hours playing through it today, and here are some observations:

Pros:
    • The amp supports a microphone (Heil PR 22 UT) wonderfully, for both vocals and instrument (including my Harmony Monterey mandolin) micing.
    • The amp offers excellent EQ (including adjustable mid frequencies on channels 1 and 2).
    • The amp has very usable reverb, chorus, and reverb+chorus that can be blended independently into channels 1 & 2.
    • The amp offers unique Hi-Z and Gain switches for channels 1 and 2. The Gain switch really kicks things up a notch, and would be very helpful if one has a low output pickup.
    • The amp has a third channel with XLR and 1/8" stereo inputs.
    • All the controls and ports are on a single panel.
    • The amp produces excellent clean volume, and great sound reproduction - Very PA like!
    • The amp has great build quality, great looks, is relatively small, and weighs under 30#

Cons:
    • The controls for the effects are somewhat complicated to figure out. The knob for the intensity of the effect is in the effect section of the panel, while the knob for the amount of effects blend into each channel is in the channel section of the panel.
    • The control knobs are relatively small and close together.
    • The recessed and top (or side) mounted control panel is not convenient for making adjustments while playing.
    • Due to the small knobs and the recessed panel for the controls, tonal adjustments on a dark stage will be a real challenge. (I'll probably get one of those clip-on LED light stands for the amp.)

All-in-all, this is the best amp I've played in the "under $500" range. I prefer it over the Fishman Loudbox Artist and the Fender Acoustasonic 150, because it is so packed with features, and because it has more of a "PA" like quality.

This amp is a great choice for small and mid sized venue solo performance, and is an incredible value in acoustic amplification.
    Last edited by JEStanek; Jan-12-2015 at 12:30pm. Reason: D'oh...Typo in title!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Default Re: New Amp Day: Carvin SG200

I have a AG300 and I agree with your observation. I purchased the 300 becuase you can use as a bass amp as well. They great all around amps

3. The following members say thank you to nickster60 for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: New Amp Day: Carvin AG200

Moderator: Thank you for the title edit/correction.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

When you are using a mic, how is it with feedback? Any phase reversal or notch filter to eliminate feedback?

Blog Entries

I have not yet used the amp on a stage, but at very loud room volume, even with the mic'ed mandolin facing the cabinet I didn't have a hint of feedback.

There is no feedback control on the amp (the owner's manual suggests using the midrange freq sweep top find the feedback frequency and dial it back).
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

have you tried a piezo through it. I like the idea of three channels .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saintjohnbarleycorn View Post
    have you tried a piezo through it. I like the idea of three channels .
    My J-45 has the Baggs Active Element pickup, which I think is a piezo(?). After playing around with the knobs on the Carvin and on my Baggs Para DI for a few hours this past weekend, I was able to find a setting that I really like. By cutting the mids at 1K (to 9:00), and cutting the presence (by a LOT, say 7:00 setting) on the Para DI, the J-45 sounded quite warm and natural.

When I got the J-45 I was worried that I'd need to go with a dual pickup system, or maybe even swap out the Element to get an amplified sound that was natural. Fortunately, I'm quite happy with the tone. However, I don't think I'd be satisfied relying on the adjustments allowed by the amp alone.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...