Thread: Tuning machines

Default Tuning machines

I have a 93 Flatiron Performer F, the tuning machines were horrible. I was searching for new tuners, when I decided to disassemble them and grease, yes grease them... I had tried tri-flow, wd40, light oil, etc. This time I used, very sparingly a high pressure grease known as molylube. I cleaned off all of the old lube, I like to use acetone, and re lubed and re assembled the tuners. I lubed between the post and the bushing too. I do not need new tuners, they are smooth and accurate. After this I did my early 80's KM-250S. Night and day difference. I had lubed them with sprays but no more. A lille bit of grease was all it took. My early 80's Ibanez is next. Anyone else use grease?
    Flatiron Performer F
    The Load LM-520
    Eastman 315
    Godin A8
    Ibanez 517

Default Re: Tuning machines

It may be that you removed some accumulated material with the acetone. It's good practice to start with a clean surface. Well done.

I totally agree with Michael above. NOT ditching your old tuners before at least trying to make them work, paid off - well done. I wonder how many sets of tuners have been scrapped in such circumstances ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Grease collects dust and "junk" from the air, and eventually hardens and turns into "gunk" (I like to use technical terms, hope you understand the meaning). I, too, suspect the cleaning is what they really needed, to remove the "gunk" from the lubes and dust and other accumulation of the past. Once they are clean, Tri-flow is one of the least likely lubes to attract dust and junk and gradually become gunk because it dries to a "dry lubricant". Also, grease can find it's way into the wood of the headstock and make repair and finish work much more difficult in the case of some future head stock damage.