Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: curly firewood... again

bass player gone mando

Default Re: curly firewood... again

it's cold enough around here, I'm just waiting to hear "throw another mandolin on the fire, honey" ....
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

2. The following members say thank you to chuck3 for this post:

Here is a picture of a piece of firewood that I have saved for many years, mainly because I just couldn't throw it in the stove, but is is handy to show those who ask 'what is curly maple'
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0556.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	129063  
    -Newtonamic

A few years ago I found some really beautiful pieces of curly in my firewood, too small for anything here but, my guitar player does fish carvings (both "lure" and more stylized) I looked at it and saw "Perch" I gave them to him.....never heard anything back about those, hmmm. Sometimes they are too pretty, I agree.
    This year my guy had three year old ash, burning very nicely even as I write!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Blog Entries

Yeh thats too bad, but I think it happens everywhere. About 10 years or so ago up here in northwestern PA, My Step Dad bought a bunch of wood from a guy for a great price and when he seen it he couldn't believe it, this tree was huge older growth stuff, very hard and 2 big ole boys couldn't get their arms around the tree! It was all highly curly/flamed black walnut. The guy that chunked it up pry could've sold it to a lumber mill for 10Grand or more "thats just a guess my dad and me aint no wood guys" My step dad said one could've got numerous boards out of it because of how straight/tall and the many branches off her! Guess the guy that cut it all for firewood was just a bit not feeling well!