Thread: Finger picks

Default Finger picks

Hi all,
    This might sound like an odd question but does anybody use finger picks to play the mandolin? Is there a reason not to?
    Any feedback would be great!
    Thanks
    Jezzer

Default Re: Finger picks

Never tried fingerpicks -have tried fingerpicking with just my nails and that works. I use it more for pattern picking on the OM, but just had a quick bash on the mando and it's OK.

We played 'She moves through the fair" last night, I think this is much more a fiddle than a mandolin tune so I just did a gentle tremolo in the background, but a fingerpicked accompaniment might have worked as well.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I do it for chord arpeggios on the OM. I need sufficient space between the courses for that, so the mandolin option never occurred to me.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Yes, I do.

It is an interesting sound. BUT, I actually use weird finger picks called "Freedom Picks" -- which are like "backwards" finger picks -- for playing clawhammer style. Quite some time ago I posted questions concerning clawhammer mandolin, and I have been pursuing it for awhile. It is a challenge (small instrument frame requires somewhat awkward right-hand wrist angle, doubled strings require precision, and tight spacing between courses also requires accurate precise strikes) but it is a REALLY neat sound.

I've also seen Radim do a solo (duet) mandolin style where he uses some sort of fingerpicks to play 2 lines.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Wayne Henderson. Not much thought as a mandolin player, but he does and he uses the same fingerpicks for guitar. Saw it with my own eyes on my own mandolin. He just knows his way around frets and likes to use his picks!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

7. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Don Reno recorded at least two gospel songs playing mandolin with finger picks using a standard banjo forward roll.I can't remember the names right off and I'm not where I can look at my CD's to refresh my memory, but I do remember that on one he needed to tune the mandolin!

Blog Entries

Frank Wakefield showed a technique with one banjo type finger pick on the ring finger, used with a standard plectrum held in the normal way. To pick up a second string now and then while picking normally.

Very cool technique, but it sure takes a lot of practice to get it useful.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I bought some finger picks, but they were too small for me. Besides, I like using my fingers.
    In the second movement, not too heavy on the banjos. Eric Morecambe