Thread: Jams in Vermont?

Default Jams in Vermont?

Hi everybody,

Can anybody comment on the acoustic music scene in Vermont? Any good jams going on these days?

Looking forward to your responses,

Amanda
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo

Default Re: Jams in Vermont?

Amanda,

There are two sources i would recommend for what most people consider jams:
    Maple Leaf Music in Brattleboro: http://mapleleafmusic.com
    The Summit School in Montpelier: http://summitschool.wix.com/summitschool

Up here in the Kingdom there is a very vibrant music scene that harkens back to old time tunks or kitchen junkets. It's more open mike than real jam but they can be a ton of fun. Not much Bluegrass stuff but an abundance of country and old time. Talent is quite variable. If any of that interests you and you feel like driving back into the 1950s, pm me and i can give you a schedule of those gatherings.

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

3. The following members say thank you to Ryk Loske for this post:

Well I am officially moving to Middlebury, VT this summer. Looking forward to discovering the scene!
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5

Welcome!

See you in Charlton!

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda Gregg View Post
    Well I am officially moving to Middlebury, VT this summer. Looking forward to discovering the scene!

Are you doing the Breadloaf language thing? Middlebury to Burlington is a very doable drive, and there is a lot going on in Burlington. Check out Seven Days ( a good info source for the area):

http://www.sevendaysvt.com/

7. The following members say thank you to jshane for this post:

Thanks, jshane! I will check that out; seems like good news.

No, I'm going to be an assistant prof (economics) at the college, so I'll be there for the long run. I may try to set up a regular jam around Middlebury if students or locals express interest.
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5

9. The following members say thank you to Amanda Gregg for this post:

I think there will be interest!!!

Well, then, I'd better get on it soon! I move up there in August, and as soon as I get settled, I will start sniffing around.
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda Gregg View Post
    Thanks, jshane! I will check that out; seems like good news.

No, I'm going to be an assistant prof (economics) at the college, so I'll be there for the long run. I may try to set up a regular jam around Middlebury if students or locals express interest.
    Well, I think you are going to like Middlebury. Very interesting community. I don't know what "flavor" econ you do, but there are some interesting folks around. I am retired from the Rubenstein School at UVM and the ecological econ folks up there were good people.

The music scene in Vermont is rich and varied-- WAY more going on than you might expect from a state with only a half million people and the biggest city at around 50K residents.

Bring warm clothes, though. We have 3 feet of snow in the yard and it was 20 below this morning.

Its a bit of a ways but McNeil's Brewpub in Brattleboro has a few different sessions/jams happening. There are details on their Facebook page. Great beer too.

14. The following members say thank you to Nevin for this post:

There's really nothing sweeter than Vermont in the fall.. except maybe relaxing with a nice Stiver mandolin in Vermont in the fall.

And since your mandolin appears to be a close relative to my Stiver, I know yours will enjoy it's new home.

We were just over there this fall and found the landscape and people to be beyond beautiful. Good luck out there!
    Robert

-2011 Stiver F 322-3-11 (Photos)
    -1990 Kentucky KM-160

16. The following members say thank you to MandoQuest for this post:

Thanks, MandoQuest! What a nice message. I'll have to post a picture of the Stiver in its new home once I get settled up there.
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5

Middlebury is so cool. We are 90 minutes away in NY State, but it's worth the trip in July for the Festival on the Green. Lots of wonderful music and art; a vibrant little town.
    I predict you'll love it.

Hi folks,

Thought I'd give you all an update on my own message, after a year of living in Middlebury. Recently it seems there has been a bumper crop of new jams in Vermont, which might be of interest to some of you (and I didn't even organize any of them). Here's a short list of bluegrass or old time jams I know about in the reasonable vicinity of Middlebury, VT.

Old time jam at Radio Bean, Burlington, VT. Approximately every other Sunday. Radio Bean's calendar. Fabulous jam.

Notice also that Radio Bean in Burlington has a regular bluegrass jam on Sundays. I haven't been to one yet.

The Middlebury, VT Marquis theater now has a monthly bluegrass jam towards the end of the month. Haven't been yet. Selfishly, I'd really like to see this jam succeed.

The Jericho Tavern in Jericho, VT (close to Burlington) has a bluegrass jam on 2nd and 4th Wednesday of every month.

Have also heard about a jam in Richmond.

Anyway, a recent wealth of riches. Was great to see Mandolincafe folks at Greyfox.

Best,
    Amanda
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5

20. The following members say thank you to Amanda Gregg for this post:

Matt Flinner has relocated to your neck of the woods.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Sweet melissas has a BG jam once a month i beleive... they are in montpelier..
    I think the stone corral brewery in richmond has one.( i can do my 2 favorite things...drink beer and play mandolin....most of my friends would rather hear me drink beer..)
    There are open mics across the state as well. 7 days is a decent resource as is
    Vt open mike page on facebook..I am going to have to try to make the marquis theater soon.
    It's a haul (jeffersonville) but i am almost retired....ha.

Does anyone know of any jams around White River Junction or Bellows Falls?

Quote Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
    It's a haul (jeffersonville) but i am almost retired....ha.
    Pete Langdell is in Jeffersonville. Do you know him (or are you Pete Langdell)? Either way, say hi. Pete is a hell of a good mandolin player.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Yes Pete and i have known each other for 30 some odd years..I played guitar in the Rattlin brook BG band (Pete on mandolin) for awhile.
    Watched pete grow his rigel buisness .. I currently play a rigel (the one in my avatar) i bought from pete in 98.. how do you know him? Rigel no doubt??

Taps Tavern in Poultney has a weekly jam on Tuesdays. Nice mellow bar with pretty good food.

I was at the Marquis in Middlebury when theirs was going on one night. Very nice space for it. I hope to make it up there for it one of these days, but there is about to be an addition to the family any day now.