Thread: Ronnie Coper of Shetland - tunebook

Default Ronnie Coper of Shetland - tunebook

This is a new collection of the really wonderful tunes written by the legendary Shetland musician Ronnie Cooper. Its a must for any student of the music of Scotland. (Mind you, Shetland is barely part of Scotland as its closer to Norway and Iceland!)

Some were originally published in a small print run in the late 70s/early 80s by the Shetland Times in Lerwick, but are incredibly rare, so this is a welcome reprint, with some new additions previously unpublished.

No vested interest here, and I'm sure its available elsewhere on the web.

Great reels, classics!

http://www.orcadian.co.uk/shop/index...roller=product

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kmmando For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Ronnie Coper of Shetland - tunebook

Thanks Kevin, book ordered, will be a nice addition to the shelf.

Sure I'll know a few but there are bound to be plenty new to me.

Like the Left-Handed Tushkar which I just found now, only knowing Da (presumably RH) Tushkar before:
    Bren

4. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

Hi Bren, I was asking Tim Jones if he had seen you at all - haven't heard from you in a while! It's a great collection, well worth having, fantastic tunes. I recorded a couple with Kris Drever on my "Dorney Rock" cd a few years back. But not on the new cd "Highland Strands".

Presumably you are travelling far and wide still? Get a tune at all? I'm trying to scrape a living out of playing, but its hard to get work, mandolinists aren't in great demand it seems!

All the best, Kevin

Hi Kevin, saw Tim for a while at Stonehaven last year. Seems so long ago. Getting plenty of tunes on the road but don't get out much in Aberdeen.

Orkney FF as usual this year, with the Shetland contingent. We managed to fill the Royal bar in Stromness with mandolin sounds for an hour or two last year. Downloaded your latest CD on iTunes, which might add up to a fraction of a pint for you!
    Bren

Just got my copy of the book by post today from the Orcadian, so thanks for the heads-up, Kevin. It is a great addition to anyone's collection of music and I especially love the photos and stories which have been included. They add so much to the enjoyment of the book and tunes.
    I'm going along to Nigel G's session in the City Halls this Sunday afternoon to see who I might meet up with and have a few tunes. he has posted the tunes on his website - The Gathering and they look like a lot of fun.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores