Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Birth of a MandoBeast

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Birth of a MandoBeast

Quote Originally Posted by garryireland View Post
    Maybe its the camera angle but it looks like the bridge pins for your lowest course will be very close to outside of the neck. Or is that just how i see it? It looks really good so far though Rob, fair play to you
    Well, now I'm worrying about it....I posted at the harpkit.com forums to see what their kit maker says. In the meantime, nut was sanded to size, glued in place, and the first two coats of finish applied:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dgoXp18.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	129555 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	U8Z2IdZ.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	129556

Remember, this is my first kit, and I'm experimenting. It might end up in the trash bin!
    =============================
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Zamites View Post
    Well, now I'm worrying about it....I posted at the harpkit.com forums to see what their kit maker says. In the meantime, nut was sanded to size, glued in place, and the first two coats of finish applied:

Name:	dgoXp18.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	129555 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	U8Z2IdZ.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	129556

Remember, this is my first kit, and I'm experimenting. It might end up in the trash bin!
    Was ths nut already cut? I tried doing this myself on my guitar conversation and made a balls of it. Can you buy a guitar
    width nut cut to a bouzouki tuning?

Blog Entries

Nut is a blank. This is really a guitar kit, so I'm not positive they compensated the neck for 8 strings. The fret board was wider (you can see how much wider by how it flares when it tops the body), and they just gave me a 8 hole drilled bridge. As soon as I'm done with the finishing and slot the not, I'll see where things line up. Like I said, this might end up in the trash bin as an ill-fated attempt to make something out of the kit that it wasn't designed to be.

Whatever, good learning experience, and it was only $400 + tools...
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

Rob, looking good. It'll work just fine. The slots in the bridge will establish the spacing there and it doesn't matter too much what the fretboard width is. When you get to the point of slotting the saddle and nut, let's talk and I can help you figure out a good proportional spacing for the courses. It's not complicated, but it's not exactly obvious until you've done it a few times. I have a parametric SolidWorks file for setting it up for any string gauge and width values.

By the way, I got one of those Harbor Freight workbenches for my wife's leatherworking business based on your comments. It's pretty good for the price. Not a candle on a real shop built bench with vises, but those end up costing a 3-4 hundred bucks for wood, totaling a couple thousand dollars, if you count your time even at $20/hr.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    Rob, looking good. It'll work just fine. The slots in the bridge will establish the spacing there and it doesn't matter too much what the fretboard width is. When you get to the point of slotting the saddle and nut, let's talk and I can help you figure out a good proportional spacing for the courses. It's not complicated, but it's not exactly obvious until you've done it a few times. I have a parametric SolidWorks file for setting it up for any string gauge and width values.

By the way, I got one of those Harbor Freight workbenches for my wife's leatherworking business based on your comments. It's pretty good for the price. Not a candle on a real shop built bench with vises, but those end up costing a 3-4 hundred bucks for wood, totaling a couple thousand dollars, if you count your time even at $20/hr.
    Marty, to have your assistance would be a blessing. I had found a template in the builder's forum and was going to use that, but I'd feel more comfortable having a real luthier's help! The instructions don't call for the saddle to be slotted, for some reason, but I feel that would be the trick.

Thank you again, so very much. I'd hate to have put this much work into this 'cello to only have it be a failure...

It's not going to be a failure, Rob - bite your tongue before saying such things! There's a solution for every problem, and if this is one at all, it's certainly very minor.

I, for one, am very impressed with how you're doing so far, and how quickly you're doing it. It took me almost this long just to do my Baby Taylor guitar to OM conversion! And I did put slots in my saddle - I added a tailpiece on mine, but would have slotted it anyway because there was a slight bit of compensation it needed.

That MandoBeast is going to be just terrific! My tortie kitty Fiamma agrees, BTW, and meows "hello" to yours lurking in the background in that one photo in post #41! =^..^=

bratsche
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fiamma.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	390.1 KB 
ID:	129567  
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    It's not going to be a failure, Rob - bite your tongue before saying such things! There's a solution for every problem, and if this is one at all, it's certainly very minor.

I, for one, am very impressed with how you're doing so far, and how quickly you're doing it. It took me almost this long just to do my Baby Taylor guitar to OM conversion! And I did put slots in my saddle - I added a tailpiece on mine, but would have slotted it anyway because there was a slight bit of compensation it needed.

That MandoBeast is going to be just terrific! My tortie kitty Fiamma agrees, BTW, and meows "hello" to yours lurking in the background in that one photo in post #41! =^..^=

bratsche
    Thank you, bratsche! I am sure enjoying the process and am glad I have the resource of the fine luthiers here at the cafe! My tortie kitty, Angel, returns the hello to Fiamma!

Name:	JuzaUtJ.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	129570

Blog Entries

Just a quick update:

Although the body was looking fantastic with the multiple coats of Watco® Teak Oil Finish, I decided I didn't like the open pores of the top. I read, and read, and read, and watched YouTube videos over and over and over, and got 1 sheet each of wet/dry 320/400/600/1200 grit sandpaper and a sanding block.

I did a wet sanding with 320 grit and the oil finish, and sure as the info said, I had a mahogany colored slurry that filled the pores nicely. Let it dry for about 35-40 minutes, and wiped the excess off (yes, lint free cloth). I'll let that cure overnight, then will proceed with further coats until it's nice and glassy.

Thanks for following!

keep em coming

Rosie......... Roooooosieeeeeeeee (looking all around)
    If I miss one day’s practice, I notice it. If I miss two days’ practice, the critics notice it. If I miss three days’ practice, the public notices it.
    Franz Liszt, 1894

11. The following members say thank you to rubydubyr for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rubydubyr View Post
    Rosie......... Roooooosieeeeeeeee (looking all around)

Name:	6792823111_7b58c490d7_z.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	129752

Blog Entries

double post.

Blog Entries

Still have some work to do on the intonation and action, but the Mandobeast is ALIVE:

Thanks especially to my biggest fan, Mike Anderson, who cheered me on as I did this, and to the luthier extraordinare, Marty Jacobson for providing me the awesome templates for the saddle and nut spacing!

I thought I was hooked on CBOMs, but the is NOTHING like building one

Thanks everyone for following this build!

15. The following members say thank you to Rob Zamites for this post:

Blog Entries

Looking and sounding great. You did an awesome job for sure! That scale length is certainly in mandocello range. The other thing I notice is the fret board is really wide. I'll be interested to see how you find that for chords. But like you say wonderful first effort!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Right on. You sure got that set up quickly. Only four hours from when I sent the files to when you had the video posted. The audio is clipping, so it's hard to get a sense of how it sounds.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Looking and sounding great. You did an awesome job for sure! That scale length is certainly in mandocello range. The other thing I notice is the fret board is really wide. I'll be interested to see how you find that for chords. But like you say wonderful first effort!
    Well, I have very long fingers; the width isn't a bother at all - that video really doesn't capture the rich booming tone this thing has - it's a freaking cannon!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    Right on. You sure got that set up quickly. Only four hours from when I sent the files to when you had the video posted. The audio is clipping, so it's hard to get a sense of how it sounds.
    Yeah, I was sitting 2 feet from the chromebook, and the beast just overdrives the microphone; if I can fins a way to record without destroyng the mic, I'll try again!

Used my new set of feeler gauges and my homemade nut saws to get the action set to a sweet 1/32" at the first fret - freaking buttery smooth - the action up at the 12th is still a little high, but I'm not freaking out at all. This was so much fun to build! As soon as the stickiness from the last coat of oil finish dries, I'll do some final sanding and light finishing and call it good. From the start I looked at #1 as a test:

a) could I build something from a kit

b) would it actually play if/when I finished it

c) would I enjoy wood butchering enough to do another

Answers:

a) yes

b) yes

c) HELL YES

I was the winning bidder on a guitar back and side set of tamarind:

Name:	tamarind back and sides.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	130134Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tamarind back pieces.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	130135

I also have a custom scale length pre-slotted Macassar ebony fingerboard and a GoldTone Zer0glide nut system on the way for Zamites #2, which will be from (mostly) scratch.

I'm hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Zamites View Post
    Well, I have very long fingers; the width isn't a bother at all - that video really doesn't capture the rich booming tone this thing has - it's a freaking cannon!

Yeah, I was sitting 2 feet from the chromebook, and the beast just overdrives the microphone; if I can fins a way to record without destroyng the mic, I'll try again!

Used my new set of feeler gauges and my homemade nut saws to get the action set to a sweet 1/32" at the first fret - freaking buttery smooth - the action up at the 12th is still a little high, but I'm not freaking out at all. This was so much fun to build! As soon as the stickiness from the last coat of oil finish dries, I'll do some final sanding and light finishing and call it good. From the start I looked at #1 as a test:

a) could I build something from a kit

b) would it actually play if/when I finished it

c) would I enjoy wood butchering enough to do another

Answers:

a) yes

b) yes

c) HELL YES

I was the winning bidder on a guitar back and side set of tamarind:

Name:	tamarind back and sides.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	130134Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tamarind back pieces.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	130135

I also have a custom scale length pre-slotted Macassar ebony fingerboard and a GoldTone Zer0glide nut system on the way for Zamites #2, which will be from (mostly) scratch.

I'm hooked.
    Amazing Rob. Well done mate!

20. The following members say thank you to garryireland for this post:

Was i right sbout those g course pins after? Looks a bit tight. Like you said on the video but it sounds fantastic!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Mighty sound, it has. I guess when you get rid of the low tension and high action, the intonation issue will go away.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

23. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Blog Entries

Now doing the final body finishing. Will post pictures/video of the finished beast. On to #2!!

Rob, it was my pleasure entirely. I think you have a natural aptitude for this!

26. The following members say thank you to Mike Anderson for this post:

Great job Rob! Man you really took to this! I'm inspired to one day do an actual build vs tinkering around the edges as I do.

28. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

Blog Entries

And the last pics, since the side finish is almost done:

Zamites #2 (La Balafenn) is in the works.

Pretty nice! Congratulations! You're right, that is a ginormous instrument, isn't it? Didn't realize just how big until seeing the video. Wow!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

31. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    Pretty nice! Congratulations! You're right, that is a ginormous instrument, isn't it? Didn't realize just how big until seeing the video. Wow!

bratsche
    So whats number 2 Rob? Guitar body zouk or something crazy?