Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions On The Gibson F5G

Default Re: Opinions On The Gibson F5G

I've been playing my F5G for 10 years now. It spoke me to me when I picked it off the wall at Mandolin Bros. and I seriously doubt I'll ever part with it. Not only does it bark it woofs. You hit that G chop chord and you feel it resonate in your chest cavity.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

2. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Love my Sept 12, 2014 Dave Harvey signed custom F5G with ebony fret-board. These instruments are now made with rosewood fret-board. Anyone wanting ebony will have to contact Gibson and arrange to have one built.

I Bought My New Gibson F5G 2016, in Aug from Morgan Music, and I must say "God I Love it"! I knew I was going to get a master grade instrument just didn't know it was going to be a Gibson, I was out to find "The One" no matter who the maker was. I been around a lot and have seen and played a lot of mando's and right now Gibson is making some of their best mandolins, Like a friend of mine told me, "Gibson had to turn out old style quality or else it was going to be the end of the line for the company, there's too many top quality builders out there making mandolins just as good" Morgan's staff were great, no high pressure, If anyone is thinking about buying an F5G, here's my advice Just buy a new one. Right now their as good as the classic's, the used one's in good shape are still as much as a new one. You will not be sorry, at least I'm happy, I have a Wynn and Two Eastman's also, sadly, I won't be playing them to much as I can't keep my fingers off of my New Gibson!!

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    ...The Gibson F5-G was developed at Gibson, Montana by Steve Carlson in 1988(and named by Bruce Weber).The F5G and Steve Carlson.
    Montana Gibsons are Flatiron in spec(carving patterns, graduations, neck profile and angle, neck joint, etc.)...
    Since this thread got re-opened I feel compeled to state that I was completely wrong about the Flatiron spec statement.

After talking personally with both Bruce Weber and Steve Carlson, Bozeman Gibsons in fact were constructed to Gibson spec per Jim Triggs personal inservicing, and were built separate from Flatiron methodology and were in fact patterned on Charlie Derrington's Loar as well.

Montana Gibson Mandolin Specifications

Just thought I'd correct my previous speculative error...congrats Riffjiff...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DataNick For This Useful Post:

Just bought my first F5G. I am anxious to see how it turns out!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pilot172000 For This Useful Post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

David Harvey is the man!

Harvey has certainly cleaned up the build quality. The recent years sound is loud and clear. I have an '05 that is a fairly ugly build, finish flaws, goopy binding inside the scroll and a very lumpy arch to the top. What she does have is volume. Tone is in the ear of the listener. Maybe mine has a bit less finess, tonally, but so does my playing. My preference is dance tempo tunes of virtually any origin as long as it played with fervor. The F5G ( I have never played a dog, and I seek them out. G,s not dogs) has the range to do waltzes and all the "pretty" tunes (grimace) and the balls to hang in a session with multiple fiddles, banjos, concertinas and whistles and be heard throughout. Lots of headroom. So it's not a Nuggett or a Diamond. Damn fine mando for the money and I'll keep mine.

P.S- Some folks say you can play bluegrass with it.
    Mike Snyder

11. The following members say thank you to Mike Snyder for this post:

Back from the dead for a trivia question: what type of spruce is used in the Harvey era F5Gs?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    Back from the dead for a trivia question: what type of spruce is used in the Harvey era F5Gs?
    Sitka for everything but Master Models, which I believe are Red Spruce.

Thanks Oliver!

Blog Entries

Yes Sitka tops on all unless specified. I had an 01 G and it was a Hoss! Great mandolin I bought new, I got rid of it in about 04-05, sure wish I had her back! It had a very loud chop and was real good across the board. I'd recommend them if you can do without all the fancy stuff like the F-5L etc..

Brian asked:
    "Back from the dead for a trivia question: what type of spruce is used in the Harvey era F5Gs?"

Back around 2003, Gibson built a special run of around 45+ F-5g's for a [now closed] chain of stores called "Music Machine" out west.

These had some special features -- Adirondack tops, bound fingerboards, and the finish was called "Flame Burst" (similar to Cremona Brown). Three were done in varnish, the rest in lacquer. They were designated on the label as "F5-FB" (just checked mine).

17. The following members say thank you to J.Albert for this post:

My Sept, 14th, 2014 is just about the best I've ever heard (I'm also told this from very many reputable players). It has a huge bark and a nice cut... Further, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone as customer friendly as Dave Harvey and/or Danny Roberts.

JMTCW
    2014 Gibson 'Harvey' F5G
    1917 Gibson F2
    2013 'The' Loar LM600VS
    2013 Morgan Monroe 4FJ
    Blue Chip Picks
    The Scallywag Social Club

Blog Entries

The F5-G's and F-5L's are living proof you don't "need" a Red Spruce top to make a top-notch bluegrass machine....
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Last summer Sierra Hull played my F5G, Ethan was sleeping by her side on a couch at the hotel hall, he woke up and said he thought she was playing her MM.
    So proud of my F5G!!
    Last edited by roberto; Jan-09-2018 at 7:00am.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roberto For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I have a 2015 F5G signed David Harvey, which I love!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"