Thread: Hiscox Case Question(s)

Default Hiscox Case Question(s)

Hi all. I recently purchased a Hiscox Pro II Mandolin case for my Kentucky KM-1050 and I'm having a few concerns. After reading some previous threads before purchasing, I felt completely at ease with the initial concerns. Now I'm wondering if it is advisable to use this case with a ToneGard on my mandolin. I've read about others having no issues with this but after closing the case I noticed the imprints of the Tone Gard on the bottom pad. It's definitely a tight fit to close and I'm trying to figure out if it's applying pressure to the bridge or if it's in fact the larger pad towards the tailpiece. Also, my mandolin seems to shift left and right just slightly in the case when it's closed, Tone Gard or no Tone Gard. Anyone have a similar experience?
    Kentucky KM-1050
    Taylor 514CE
    Martin D18

Blog Entries

Default Re: Hiscox Case Question(s)

I liked my Hiscox case, but it was not a good fit with tone - gard attached on a Gibson fern. The gard apparently lifted the neck out of the cradle so that when carried the mandolin would slide out of the slot. Others have not shared my experience, but don't know what mandolin they were carrying or if they used a tont-gard. "Liked" because l got rid of it.

Can't speak to the t/g issue, but the mandolin moving in the case is a deal-breaker, to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mpeluso View Post
    I've read about others having no issues with this but after closing the case I noticed the imprints of the Tone Gard on the bottom pad.
    Same with my Caltons... and Pegasus... seems entirely normal and I'm not sure I'd describe that as an issue. I'd expect it as that wire 'cage' does concentrate all the pressure on a very small overall surface area compared to "full back" contact.

Must say I have never observed any movement - with or without tonegard fitted, however.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

You can place a piece of paper or cardstock over the face of your mando and close the case. You will see imprinting on the paper if the case is putting pressure on the bridge. I did this with my Calton and discovered that my Collings fits just fine with the tonegard on. I found the same result with my Travelite case. One thing to also be aware of is neck angle as the tonegard shifts the neck angle so your headstock could be directly in contact with the surface of the case which is not good.

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    Same with my Caltons... and Pegasus... seems entirely normal and I'm not sure I'd describe that as an issue. I'd expect it as that wire 'cage' does concentrate all the pressure on a very small overall surface area compared to "full back" contact.

Must say I have never observed any movement - with or without tonegard fitted, however.
    Thanks for the input, almeriastrings. I suppose it isn't really an issue in terms of the pressure from the Tone Gard but rather the implied pressure on the bridge/top. Definitely concerning to me. But it's odd that the mandolin still shifts a little when closed. Maybe there isn't a dangerous amount of pressure on the bridge but either way, I feel that this case won't work with my mandolin. I'm bummed too because I really like the case. I'm going to try a Superior shaped F case. Dennis over at The Mandolin Store told me it will fit my particular Kentucky with Tone Gard on just fine. I was using a Superior oblong F case and there's no way it's closing with the Tone Gard on.
    Kentucky KM-1050
    Taylor 514CE
    Martin D18

Quote Originally Posted by samlyman View Post
    You can place a piece of paper or cardstock over the face of your mando and close the case. You will see imprinting on the paper if the case is putting pressure on the bridge. I did this with my Calton and discovered that my Collings fits just fine with the tonegard on. I found the same result with my Travelite case. One thing to also be aware of is neck angle as the tonegard shifts the neck angle so your headstock could be directly in contact with the surface of the case which is not good.
    Good idea, samlyman. The neck angle is fine with the TG on. But the shifting in the case is sort of killing the idea of keeping it.
    Kentucky KM-1050
    Taylor 514CE
    Martin D18

To all Hiscox owners:
    Does your F style mandolin slide back and forth in the case? If so, what do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by tnranger View Post
    To all Hiscox owners:
    Does your F style mandolin slide back and forth in the case? If so, what do you do?
    Mine doesn't, at least not that I've noticed. I have a Calton, but use the Hiscox.
    Tim Mundy
    www.slipperyhill.co.uk
    2002 Gibson F5 Fern
    1920 Gibson A2
    2005 Gibson A5L
    Rigel A+ Deluxe Custom
    1926 Gibson TB1 Tenor Banjo
    1963 Epiphone TF28 Tenor Guitar
    Ovation MM868 Mandocello
    1987 Rob Armstrong Mandolinetto

To all Hiscox owners:
    Mine doesn't, at least not that I've noticed. I have a Calton, but use the Hiscox.
    Tim Mundy
    www.slipperyhill.co.uk
    2002 Gibson F5 Fern
    1920 Gibson A2
    2005 Gibson A5L
    Rigel A+ Deluxe Custom
    1926 Gibson TB1 Tenor Banjo
    1963 Epiphone TF28 Tenor Guitar
    Ovation MM868 Mandocello
    1987 Rob Armstrong Mandolinetto

Both my F9 and Km-1000 fit and stay put just fine; when I was Snowbirding, I would ship my F9 USPS ground,

up and down the East coast with no problems.

No issues with movement on mine. Never tried tone guard with it.

Blog Entries

To all Hiscox owners:
    No. None of the one's I've tried in there slide around. I mostly keep the Silverangel F in there but have tried the Gibsons, Ellis, Northfield and a few others - with and without Tonegards. All sit very nicely.

I wonder if yours has a sizing defect in the lining foam of some kind?
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

To all Hiscox owners:
    I've sent mine back due to this issue. That and the tight fit depth wise with tone gard on my KM 1050. I found that it actually fits better in the rectangular Superior case that it came with. So at least I'm not spending more money on a case.