Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any tenor banjo players - early jazz style

Default Re: Any tenor banjo players - early jazz style

Quote Originally Posted by John Morton View Post
    Lonnie Johnson.
    Another New Orleans great! Lots of guitars don't even realize how much of the stuff they play were Lonnie Johnson licks.

A few years ago I had the pleasure of taking lessons from a fine player named Jim Riley. He is a wonderful teacher. After a year and a half of lessons life intervened and I had to drop them but still have it all in a folder and keep up with it.

Here is a video of Jim.......

Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Charles E. For This Useful Post:

I've played with a traditional jazz band for over 10 years on tenor banjo with a CGDA tuning. When it comes to tuning, there are a lot of people who play different tunings. I knew another traditional jazz banjo player who played plectrum for me a few times when I couldn't make gigs. The biggest difference I feel is I love the chunk on the fifth tuning. As for solos, I've not had any trouble doing solos in tenor tuning. I prefer single note, but there are a lot who will play full chords just like a good mandolinist can. For me, I think the tuning of GDAE while easier to go from mandolin to banjo would be pretty low. You want your notes to but through and that's going to put you into the low brass range. With that high a, I'm right in the middle of the front line range and balance nicely with the band.

5. The following members say thank you to Classicalcomp for this post:

Summit County, Colorado

Bought a tenor banjo and have a great mandola. Played cello for a while and like CGDA.
    Played a bit of mandolin years ago.
    Have a lot to learn.

I tinker on my tenor but I have come to the realization I have too many different instruments now and find it hard to devote time to a few
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wilson View Post
    I tinker on my tenor but I have come to the realization I have too many different instruments now and find it hard to devote time to a few
    It's a curse - being so compelled by music. There are simply so many forms, at our opportune, to revel in. The oceans are far too wide and wells deep...though I was getting a handle on things when I went to (what was for me) the 'mother' of all strings (no, not the ukulele ) .. so while I enjoy playing Joplin or jellly roll Morton on banjo, or any number of idiomatic styles on an obscene array of different instruments, the sound of music - is what appeals to me most - irrespective of idiom.

So, it's a journey (my advice: immerse yourself in guzheng )
    Last edited by catmandu2; Dec-31-2015 at 6:14pm.

9. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

I still need new strings for the guzheng lol. I love the ukulele tbh. The songs I have learned use so many different chords (lots of old time and jazzy) and I am going to experiment with banjo chop chords. Sure is a loud chop
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

11. The following members say thank you to Barry Wilson for this post:

We (son and I) are about to embark on dan tranh study. He's studying trumpet at school, but apparently he's a bit of a 'chip off the old block' and also enjoys exotica. My daughter is studying clarinet - as well as the rest of my woodwinds (don't have to buy any gear for her = happy dad )

13. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wilson View Post
    I still need new strings for the guzheng lol.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Best-Guzheng...-/301280882436

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YouBow-21-Pr...-/271117572169

and I've done business with these guys - got Pipa strings from them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunhuang-Nyl...-/131680848343