Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on the best "f" style mandolin for a beginner

Default Advice on the best "f" style mandolin for a beginner

This is my first post. I am looking for an "f" style mandolin in the price range of $800-$1000. What are your opinions on the Kentucky or Loar models. My current mandolin is a Clyde Burns which I can not find any info on. It has loud tingy sound and is not well made. Originally I had bought it for my husband (he plays guitar) for him to tinker with to see if he had an interest. He had no interest so I picked it up. I'm hooked on the mandolin and would like to have an "F" model. I live in an area where it's hard to get your hands on one. Have tried the Eastman and Breedlove. Breedlove did not have the right sound for Bluegrass. The Eastman did not feel right to me. So I'm open for suggestions. Thanks in advance for taking the time to offer up an opinion.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Default Re: Advice on the best "f" style mandolin for a beginner

I would get a J Bovier they sound great , i got mine from Jeff he is a great guy and is very helpful here is his website
    http://mandolins.ecrater.com/
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

3. The following members say thank you to darrylicshon for this post:

Love my Eastman MD515, new $999.99.

sorry, i jumped the gun and hadn't seen you already ruled it out.

5. The following members say thank you to Wynning13 for this post:

I have to agree with the J. Bovier recommendation. I got an F5-T directly from Jeff Cowherd and it's been great!

7. The following members say thank you to bbaker2050 for this post:

If you are able to, go to some music shops and play as many mandolins as you can and one will jump out for you, then buy it. Good luck. If you don't play yet, maybe you have a friend who could go with you. Good luck.

9. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

Blog Entries

Don't rule out a previously owned instrument. Check out the Café classifieds.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

11. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Blog Entries

I bought myself a Loar-LM590 last November. With a setup & a hard case it came to just over $800. In my humble opinion, it is perfect. Why? The main thing is it doesn't have the extended fretboard. After 3 months, it sounds (& looks) beautiful.
    I think, therefore, I pick.

13. The following members say thank you to Richard J for this post:

I just purchased a used Loar LM-500 and I love it. Granted, I am not a mandolin player, but construction, playability, and tone are all right there for me. Got mine for $399 with a great HSC. Good deals are out there for sure!

15. The following members say thank you to JSanta for this post:

Thank you all for your opinions!

Here is a link for the Mandolin Store who provide free shipping and set up. This is a Kentucky 805. http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idproduct=8067 The Kentucky seems to have the sound you are looking for that bluegrassy woody tone. However, honestly, I would save your nickles and get the 1000 series. They are simply another level above the 805. I would have no problem having the Kentucky 1000s that I have played as my main ax, especially for playing grass.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

18. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

Seems to happen a Lot .. A style . the sound chamber size is the same ..

the F parts are more about image than sound... pick it for what it sounds like.

I like My A5 style just fine. all the same Notes ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandroid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    Here is a link for the Mandolin Store who provide free shipping and set up. This is a Kentucky 805. http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idproduct=8067 The Kentucky seems to have the sound you are looking for that bluegrassy woody tone. However, honestly, I would save your nickles and get the 1000 series. They are simply another level above the 805. I would have no problem having the Kentucky 1000s that I have played as my main ax, especially for playing grass.

If interested, I have one, that exact model to sell.
    Thanks
    Gary

Gibson F5L
    Weber Gallatin

22. The following members say thank you to Shrtbull for this post:

The Eastman did not feel right to me. So I'm open for suggestions.
    I guess my main question would be what you didn't like about the Eastman? This would help us recommend something that fits your preferences.

Some general characteristics about Eastman, Kentucky and The Loar:

The Eastman will have the slimmest neck of the 3. It does down to a nice "V". It is radiused and has small fret wire.
    The Kentucky has a radius and fretwork that is similar to the Eastman (frets are just a bit larger). The neck has a similar profile but there is more girth to the "V".
    The Loar has the largest neck of the three. The "V" is not as pronounced. The fingerboard is flat and it has larger fret wire. It has the widest nut of the three, with the Eastman being the narrowest.

If you like the feel of the Breedlove, this is a wider neck than The Loar, has a radius, larger wire than the Eastman and Kentucky and more of a "C" shape to the neck. The Breedlove neck profile is not real common on mandolins.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

Most folks around here will tell you buy an A style (more bang for the buck) and I agree with them. Being a lady player I will assume you have small hands. I state this because most of the lower end mandolins have pretty stout neck profiles. There is a Kentucky Km900 in the classifieds (NFI on my part). http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/83121

26. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

The Eastman MD515F tuners were very difficult to turn. They were extremely tight. I do not know if this is a characteristic of all Eastman mandolins or it was just on this particular one. The customer service was very poor so I did not feel that I wanted to drop over $1000 at a store that did not seem interested in me as a consumer. I had read in a previous thread that Guitar Center is in financial trouble. I will say this, they had exceptional customer service. When I went to another town to test play some mandolins they had a very low inventory. I explained to them what I was looking for. He did go upstairs and get a $5000 Gibson for me to sit with to give me a reference point of the different grades of mandolins. Yes I fell in love with it but it was out of my price point. But it did serve as a reference point of what I want. That would be my pick if it was in my budget. So I'm on the hunt for one that feels close to that Gibson....

1st string change you can add a little lubricant and spin the knob when there is no string in the hole
    and loosen up the new part's tightness.

F sound holes on the A5 will still give you that sound and
    the Chop chord Up the neck access.

as the extended frets of the off the body portion will be similar..

Of course being a wooden instrument even side by side look a likes will each sound a Bit different.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

29. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by PickingGal View Post
    The Eastman MD515F tuners were very difficult to turn. They were extremely tight. I do not know if this is a characteristic of all Eastman mandolins or it was just on this particular one.
    Regarding Eastman's tuners, I just bought a new MD604 and found the same thing. The mandolin is everything I could want, but the tuners bind. Loosening the screw on the tuning button may help as it does adjust tension. Replaced them with the new Grover 309s as used by Weber and the Grovers are excellent. Eastman touts that they use Schaller tuners, but they are not the same as on the higher end mandos and are apparently very sensitive to alignment. Unless you go to the 8XX series you get a much cheaper version of the Schallers. Don't know why they do this on an otherwise fine quality instrument. The price difference isn't that great.

Don

31. The following members say thank you to DWM for this post:

keep watch on the classifieds here, lots of real nice used mandolins pop up daily-if you consider the A style as a purchase that offers up a lot of bang for the buck in used as well.

Some nice FlatIron A styles show up at times in that price range you mention.

d

33. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

If you have your heart set on an f-style and a $1000 budget, elderly.com currently has three used Breedlove f-style mandolins in your price range. They are are all US-made and the brand is highly regarded for build quality, albeit off the beaten path aesthetically and tonally. Rather than focusing on a specific style or brand, you may want to go to a shop with a variety of makes and models in your price range and play as many as possible until one 'speaks' to you.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

35. The following members say thank you to lukmanohnz for this post:

You might be able to score a used Kentucky 1000 in that range if you have to have an F. You could get a Kentucky 900 if an A will do. To me, every Kentucky I've played/owned was closer to that bluegrass sound than any Eastman. I'm not saying the Kentuckys necessarily sound better, just different.

Tri-Flow lubricant, available in bike stores, will usually help tuners.

37. The following members say thank you to Eric F. for this post:

...He did go upstairs and get a $5000 Gibson for me to sit with to give me a reference point of the different grades of mandolins. Yes I fell in love with it but it was out of my price point. But it did serve as a reference point of what I want. That would be my pick if it was in my budget. So I'm on the hunt for one that feels close to that Gibson....
    Danger! When I used to moonlight selling instruments (in the Mesozoic Age), the owner used to tell potential customers to "play everything in the store in your price range" before making a choice.

After playing a mandolin costing five times what you're able to spend, you'll find that few of the instruments you can afford "feel close." Test-driving that Lexus is gonna make it hard for you to find the Subaru that gives you similar satisfaction.

Cafe´members seem to agree that the f-models in your price range with "the right sound for bluegrass" are made by Kentucky, Loar, and jBovier. They're generally similar, but differ in neck profile, so if you can play representative models before making a purchase, you may be able to make a more informed choice.

Details like hard-to-turn tuners on a particular instrument shouldn't determine your choice. These are usually quickly adjustable and correctible. Overall sound, appearance, and "feel" are what I would recommend as crucial variables.

Good luck.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

39. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

F9 & JamMaster are Gibson's offerings at a bit less , all the woodworking Using same production Tooling and assembly,
    with more modest appointments & less fancy Finish .. (IDK Prices)
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

41. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

I found my F over the weekend. Was impressed with the Loar LM600 VS. It felt good and sounds awesome

I found my F over the weekend. Was impressed with the Loar LM600 VS. It felt good and sounds awesome
    well congratulations on your new mandolin. I have heard and read a lot of good stuff about the 600 vs. haven't seen one in person, but the pics sure look good. have fun pickin.

44. The following members say thank you to Jackgaryk for this post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Nice choice i have one also, have fun playing it, and post some photos
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

46. The following members say thank you to darrylicshon for this post: