Thread: Punch Brothers: "Phosphorescent Blues" Review

Default Punch Brothers: "Phosphorescent Blues" Review

I have nothing better to do at the moment than press black rectangles with white letters to make black letters on a white rectangle, so here's my thoughts and ramblings pertaining to Punch Brothers' most recent and arguably most captivating album: The Phosphorescent Blues, potentially Punch Brothers' equivalent of Radiohead's Kid A.

To clear up some misconceptions and bad speculation, it is not "Punch Brothers selling out or going pop." It's not a bluegrass album either, but it doesn't try to be, not in the slightest. It's more akin to Radiohead than anything, but even then, it's impossible to define this album as any one thing without missing the other 99% of what it is and what it can be. The album as a whole is incredibly diverse and explores many possibilities, but nothing is tangential; it is very much cohesive, so it's best heard from start to finish. It makes for a great listen late in the night, in pitch blackness with eyes shut, closing out the rest of the world so that this world can be explored without distraction.

Punch Brothers do not pigeon-hole themselves into any one genre, style, mindset, or perception, instead choosing to walk a thin line between the visceral and cerebral aspects of music, balancing emotion and technical ability in a way that's neither exhaustive nor erudite. It's orchestral, but not over-produced. Along that thin line resides a music that is unpredictable to the listener, but makes sense and provides rewarding moments as it unfolds and reveals its hidden structure, and it's this nuanced region of the mind that Punch Brothers thrive in.

If you'd like to sample the album, another thread has posted a link:
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/a...lay.html?_r=1&

1. Familiarity:
    The opening track has more development and breadth than most albums have in their entirety. The album begins on a very whimsical, almost innocent note, with each instrument ebbing and flowing in and out beneath the melody like tranquil currents in a playful stream, but it quickly descends into a percussive, vaguely eerie segment, defined by echoing pulses in a void of silence that draws the listener in. From this empty framework, an expanding crescendo fills in the missing pieces until the full sonic image is in place, with soaring vocals and intense rhythm, and that begins to incorporate the whimsy of the beginning, but with a newfound sense of grandeur, which then passes over and subdues itself to a soft, optimistic conclusion.

2. Julep:
    Familiarity flows seamlessly into the second track, which has a more regular structure but is sprinkled with spontaneous subtleties, a distant dance in the corners of the mind. Very understated, but never underwhelming.

3. Passepied (Debussy):
    Classical homage is alive and well in this track: dainty, brooding, balanced as ever and insanely captivating, pompous without pretentiousness, ticking away in a calculated and slightly concerned manner.

4. I Blew It Off:
    The track that sparked early fear and doubt in this album's merit, I Blew It Off was the source of accusations of selling out to lousy modern pop. In actuality, it's more reminiscent of the older, better pop and hints of classic rock, but only vaguely so. The musical complexity expected from from Punch Brothers is alive and well, even moreso considering that they've dared to include electric guitars and a drumset to their usual acoustic quintet of instruments and still maintain their balancing act of visceral and cerebral. In context with the album, it declares full abandonment of the mental pacing in circles, blowing off all of the stress and underlying grievances.

5. Magnet:
    What can I say? It's downright catchy fun. I'd call it a guilty pleasure if not for the fact that it's still masterfully crafted with a touch of the sly sultriness of the James Bond theme if you know where to look.

6. My Oh My:
    This track would be the definition of "Phosphorescent Blues" if it was a genre: the familiar building blocks of blues, but with a funky 70's vibe and a grandiose flair of high rises, classic cars, art deco and vintage neon. The vocals on this track are stunningly triumphant and intimately spiritual in different segments, finding beauty in the small wonderful bits of joy in the world.

7. Boll Weevil:
    The token "bluegrassy" track on the record, "bluegrassy" in quotes to imply that it's being used as a vague suggestion rather than definitiveness for all of the nay-saying purists. It actually sounds more like something that could've been in the soundtrack for Holes, fitting for a dry, dusty hell-hole of bad luck and burning sky with it's deep, dark, driving beat and a clever stutter-step in the timing. Drowned without water and burnt without flame, trouble's a-brewin' but nothin's to blame. Hidden, nagging pests start to undo the choice of simply "blowing off" one's troubles and responsibilities.

8. Prelude (Scriabin):
    The shortest track on the record, but one of the most beautiful. The music-box-like banjo chimes, jangles, shimmers and rings beautifully against the guitar in this waltz. A nice musical treat and a bit of an audible breather.

9. Forgotten:
    The album takes another haunting turn, almost at the point of accepting defeat after eight tracks of persistent but somewhat doubtful optimism to combat themes of loneliness. At its lowest point, the vocals reach out and pull the tune up from despair in a comforting reassurance, wonderful continuity and resolution amidst an album of turmoil.

10. Between 1st and A:
    One of the more abstract tracks on the album, it makes effective use of silence like Familiarity did, but without that innocence from the intro of the opening track, making it...not familiarity. That's just clever. The song progresses with some newfound confidence and steadfastness, perhaps as a result of the reassurance in the prior track. The recurring lyric sums it up: I'll never dwell on leaving if I'm going somewhere."

11. Little Lights:
    The actual meaning of Phosphorescent Blues is finally revealed: two presumably doomed lovers singing "phosphorescent pinks and blues," two torn halves to a whole which can only be reunited in fond memory, shining like the distant stars of faraway yet familiar constellations, reference points for navigation "back to where we are from want to be," perhaps a cautionary message not to lose one's self in the great folly of the irretrievable. People and possessions come and go, and if you try to bring them back once they're gone, you'll only lose them twice.

Overall, a phenomenal album. I'm unable to find any real faults with it, simply because it is all crafted and executed so well. Every note is created with a purpose, and every note fulfills that purpose perfectly for the greater good and cohesive theme of the album. Even better is the fact that subsequent listens reveal more and more of the hidden, underlying structures, making each song more and more rewarding as the listener finds more things to enjoy. The Phosphorescent Blues is a thought-provoking, engaging experience, and I would highly recommend it.

--Tom
    Last edited by Tom Coletti; Feb-05-2015 at 3:07pm. Reason: fixed link

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tom Coletti For This Useful Post:

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Punch Brothers: "Phosphorescent Blues" Review

thank you ... it's nice to read someone putting and sharing so much effort appreciating an album.

makes a nice change.

Does it come with fries ?

PS: It is very different from what I usually like. And, I liked it too.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

I'll say the album is definitely growing on me. The more I listen, the more I like it.........Right now "My Oh My" is my favorite track. "Magnet" is my least favorite.

Thanks for the review. Could you do Blonde on Blonde next?
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    Thanks for the review. Could you do Blonde on Blonde next?
    Not sure it'd pass the censors ... oh, Dylan? Sure, why not - ahem

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Coletti View Post
    Punch Brothers do not pigeon-hole themselves into any one genre, style, mindset, or perception, instead choosing to walk a thin line between the visceral and cerebral aspects of music, balancing emotion and technical ability in a way that's neither exhaustive nor erudite. It's orchestral, but not over-produced. Along that thin line resides a music that is unpredictable to the listener, but makes sense and provides rewarding moments as it unfolds and reveals its hidden structure, and it's this nuanced region of the mind that Punch Brothers thrive in.
    So, jazz fusion, then. Grismanesque.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    So, jazz fusion, then. Grismanesque.
    Not really; the varied approach isn't necessarily put through a jazz filter and used as a medium for lengthy improvisation, and this album dabbles across a wider area to the point that it's a bit of everything, and when they ran out of everything, they made some more things to enlarge the conceptual expanse of everything, very 21st-century in that it's a fluid, ambiguous blend that's becoming more difficult to define. We can really only trace the album as it shuffles through various influences, but once it's found that the building blocks of genre are just a few "stylistic considerations" as Thile says, they can be manipulated in ways that blur the distinctions.

--Tom

I am only 3 cuts in, but have listened to the Debussy cut (3) three times. When Thile first appeared on Perpetual Motion" and then produced "Not All who Wander" my hope was for a reboot of classical music. An entire album like cut 3 would be a smash hit with the classical world. It is that good. His Bach album, though adventurous, just doesn't have enough sounds to draw in the listener.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know he did a Bach album. I just sampled it on Amazon and I might buy it.

I do have a tendency to prefer Thile's / Punch Brothers' instrumental work over their lyrical stuff. I've found that with a lot of his pieces, just as he gets into a groove he switches the groove which throws me right out of my headspace, if you know what I mean. I think the same points that Tom favors may turn some other people off. Different tastes and all that.

I've listened to the samples of Phosphorescent Blues and I like the Debussy and the Scriabin pieces. I may end up getting the album even if I have mixed feelings about some of Thile's work. There are few artists who I really dig unambiguously and I don't expect to love every cut on an album.

BTW, I don't worry about short cuts. I have some audio software (WavePad) and if there's a track I like, I'll cut and paste it and duplicate it until it's 5-6 minutes long or longer so I can listen uninterruptedly. Sometimes I'll even cut out instrumental breaks, duplicate them until they're pretty lengthy, and listen to them as a separate file. So there's a lot you can add to the picture to make a work suit your fancy. (You should hear my edit of Tony Rice's "Blackberry Blossom" at 120% speed!)

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kmiller1610 View Post
    His Bach album, though adventurous, just doesn't have enough sounds to draw in the listener.
    This listener was totally drawn in. I've been a huge J.S. Bach fan for many years and I particularly enjoy listening to pieces of his that were written with one instrumentor ensemble in mind, played on another. Synthesizer, Japanese Koto, it's all good if the player brings enough musicianship making the most of his or her instrument's capabilities, and working around it's shortcomings.
    I think Chris Thile's Bach is truly beautiful. It's really just about the music and Chris has musical chops in great supply. There are indeed lots of different sounds that he coaxes out of the mandolin but the differences are subtle.
    Back to Phosphorescent Blues, I do agree that it takes several listenings to really appreciate all that's going on there. Some of this is incredibly intricate, complex music. It's wonderful to see an artist willing to stretch a bit and not always fall back on the same old same old.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

This album really does reveal more and more as you begin to pull the layers back and look into it with more depth. I may find another concept that I've completely missed after the tenth or twentieth play through.

I should mention that upon subsequent listenings, not only is this album a sonic representation of the 21st century, but lyrically it's a social commentary on the century as well, particularly aimed at the rather unsettling way in which handheld technology can drive people into impersonal isolation. Hell, it's as dark and unsettlingly brilliant as Charlie Brooker's "Black Mirror." Here's some snippets of various lyrics:

"The world spinning under our thumbs," pretending to love something on our phones just because our friends love it, worried that we may never get a chance to disconnect, "forgetting how it feels to love someone or something for real," warm rays of sunlight seeping in through the window shades yet we "blow it off" and stay indoors, wasting so much time that it appears to stand still, becoming antisocial to the point that someone else's troubles just become an inconvenience in the form of a phone vibrating the table, "nothing to say when it can just as well be sent" in an email or a text, a wonderful world on a wonderful day happening all around us, but we try to break away from it, wandering aimlessly through a hollow charade of false interaction, as blind and senseless as, well, two people trying to kiss with pillow sheets draped over their dumb heads.

Ponder that one for a moment...

So many people were worried that this album signified Punch Brothers selling out and getting sucked into the modern, bland, corporate machine of poppy musical distraction for profit... That could not be farther from the truth.

--Tom
    Last edited by Tom Coletti; Feb-06-2015 at 9:44pm.

14. The following members say thank you to Tom Coletti for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    This listener was totally drawn in. I've been a huge J.S. Bach fan for many years and I particularly enjoy listening to pieces of his that were written with one instrument or ensemble in mind, played on another.
    You can't do a sustain on the Mandolin, no matter how much one tries to imagine it. The slow pieces on the Bach CD are painful. Chris has always been ambitious and imaginative. Sometimes his reach exceeds the listener's grasp. He's like the opposite of a commercial artist (though "Who's feeling Young Now" was consistently poppy, so, as in "Eyes Wide Open," he can commit to a single thing for a whole album). But ultimately he wants to challenge the listener to go on a very deep journey. Anyway, this is a diversion from the topic. I am digging this album because it's more like Punch, my favorite of the Brother's albums so far. Just for my own enjoyment, I took the entire suite from "Punch" and edited out the singing, so I have a music only copy of the 4 part suite. It feels wrong, but I enjoy what the boys do on those instruments. The bits between the singing have always been my favorites.

Just checked the chart positions on all of the classical albums Thile has worked on and all of them hit number one (classical charts). Guess I was wrong about that Bach album. So much for my assessment. Baroque and Roll on, Mr. Thile!

I'm a big fan of Chris Thile in general, have everything I can get my hands by him, and have enjoyed The Punch Brothers live. I feel I need to say that up front to give context to my feelings. I've listened to the album at least a dozen times, sometimes more than once in a day. I've tried very hard to allow it to grow on me simply because I'm aware of what great players they all are and I feel i trust their musical sensibilities enough to put in the effort. However, that said, this particular album leaves me cold. There are moments that I enjoy, but the overall impact is not something I can enthuse about. It never quite feels like it gets going - I don't mean it needs more tempo, I appreciate mood and atmosphere in slower numbers, but it leaves me with the sense of something missing. There aren't enough strong melodies and some of the lyrics feel rushed. I desperately wanted to like this album, and if they swing through near us again I'll be buying a ticket. But this isn't an album I'll probably ever play again if I'm honest.
    Last edited by Darren Bailey; Feb-07-2015 at 7:57am.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Bailey View Post
    I'm a big fan of Chris Thile in general, have everything I can get my hands by him, and have enjoyed The Punch Brothers live. I feel I need to say that up front to give context to my feelings. I've listened to the album at least a dozen times, sometimes more than once in a day. I've tried very hard to allow it to grow on me simply because I'm aware of what great players they all are and I feel i trust their musical sensibilities enough to put in the effort. However, that said, this particular album leaves me cold. There are moments that I enjoy, but the overall impact is not something I can enthuse about. It never quite feels like it gets going - I don't mean it needs more tempo, I appreciate mood and atmosphere in slower numbers, but it leaves me with the sense of something missing. There aren't enough strong melodies and some of the lyrics feel rushed. I desperately wanted to like this album, and if they swing through near us again I'll be buying a ticket. But this isn't an album I'll probably ever play again if I'm honest.
    I pretty much feel the way you do Darren. I like it, but not blown away like I was hoping. Let's put it this way-if this exact same music was being played by anybody other than Thile, Pikelny, Witcher, etc., I wouldn't be listening to it. I support anything Thile does and that's why I will continue to listen to Punch Brothers even though some of their stuff is not as.......not as......(can't think of the word) as I would like. I liked some their previous albums better though. I also have tickets to their show here in Nashville at the Ryman in a few weeks. I can't wait!!

Blog Entries

This album has been getting lots of airplay on the one of the radio networks (Radio National) of our public broadcaster . I've heard at least three tracks on various programmes in the last few weeks and I only listen to the radio in the car when I'm driving. Great music, well done to the lads.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook