Thread: I Often Mute Strings when I Play Certain Chords

Default I Often Mute Strings when I Play Certain Chords

Hello,

A lot of the time, when I play a chord that has you play two strings with the index finger and a third string with my second finger, the string to be played with my second finger is muted.

I've attached an example of what I mean. The A and E notes are to be played with the first finger, and I cannot help but to mute the C# note when pressing down on both the other strings.

Are there any tips to overcome this?

Thanks,

-mhp

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chord problemo.PNG 
Views:	209 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	130407
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chord problemo.PNG 
Views:	192 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	130406  

Default Re: I Often Mute Strings when I Play Certain Chords

I barre the A and E notes with my first finger and play the C# with my 3rd finger. Has your mandolin had a professional setup? If the string slots in the nut are too shallow it can make barring those strings difficult.

Default Re: I Often Mute Strings when I Play Certain Chords

Depending on what comes after this measure, my approach would be to completely barre the second fret with my index finger. Coming from the guitar world, I often find it easier to hold down a full barre, rather than a half-barre on the mandolin. In this case, since the E string is not played and C# is fingered ( I would use the 3rd finger), there is no 'harm' in barring the A and E strings too. With a full barre, it is easier to apply more even pressure and I don't have to worry about applying selective pressure to the G and D strings.

Having said that though, it is a good idea to work on holding down 2 courses with one finger as the above approach won't always be possible. I just find it easier in this particular instance. If I did hold down only the A and E with one fingertip, I still would use the 3rd finger on the C# because in this position, it falls naturally on the 4th fret. (depending on what follows next)
    Last edited by Maczart; Feb-09-2015 at 2:33pm.