Thread: Thinking out loud

Default Thinking out loud

Hi all,
    I have a 94 Flatiron A-5 Artist signed by Phil Brug. It is great condition....I just had the frets replaced, and got it all tuned up into tip top shape (all work was done by the Dusty String in Seattle). Although it pains me, I am thinking about selling it because my husband and I are trying to raise funds for an international adoption.

While mulling over what I would sell it for and all, I started thinking maybe it would be worth it to try raffling it off. Is this something that people on here would be excited about? Any ideas about how I could set it up so people would feel comfortable that this is legit?

Default Re: Thinking out loud

Hi Ivyrose7,

I've never heard of anyone doing that here, but isn't that sort of what Ebay is all about?

Good luck and congratulations on considering adoption. It's a beautiful thing. My 2 cents: Find a way to hold to what is really a very nice mandolin and learn some new kid's songs, hopefully you'll have a reason to play them!

3. The following members say thank you to emzech for this post:

eBay is an auction house. I think she's trying to sell a number of tickets and probably would have a drawing. I would think this would riskier. What if you don't sell enough tickets to match what you could get on the open market? I'd say sell it, and if you can't get what you want out of it, keep it like Emzech said. Good luck either way, especially with the little one.

I believe that there are laws in most every state against running your own private raffle (unless you are a non-profit organization) and I wonder if, assuming it were at all legal, that the powers that be on the Cafe would want to do it anyway.

If I were you I would just figure out what the going rate is for a similar mandolin -- there are certainly ones out there sold in stores, on eBay and elsewhere. The take out an ad in classifieds. You will prob do just as well and not have to hassle with lawyers, arcAne state laws, and running the whole thing aboveboard.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

ivyrose...that sounds like a real interesting mandolin. The raffle doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Good luck with the adoption.

I know it's expensive, but you ought to be able to reclaim a large part of the expenses from your taxes, once the adoption is complete. So borrow the money and keep the mandolin. And keep your receipts.

Not sure about the raffle thing. It varies from state to state, but kind of falls under charitable gambling, which may include non-profits, churches (bingo), but usually cannot benefit an individual. The charity, that is, of course the winner benefits by winning a mandolin. I would check the rules first. I do remember after Katrina, a number of sellers put items on eBay in raffle form to benefit family members and I actually won a piece of stereo equipment, with a single ticket! Again, you might check eBay's rules, as well. (I'm no expert, just to be clear) Good luck with your adoption!

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    I know it's expensive, but you ought to be able to reclaim a large part of the expenses from your taxes, once the adoption is complete. So borrow the money and keep the mandolin. And keep your receipts.
    I agree with David. Keep the mandolin. (I'm assuming it's your only mandolin. Many of us here have multiple mandolins). Good luck with the adoption.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo