Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Used Northfields

Default Re: Used Northfields

Sblock I think you laid out a very nice argument. My Northfield MM ordered June 2014 is #268, I've been playing mandolin for about a year now and stepped up from an Eastman 315.

I live near a shop that has mandolins that go up to $20,000 so everytime I go in there I'm playing a variety of mandolins. Before I ordered the NF last year I played a lot of very high end mandolins and decided on the NF. Cost was certainly a consideration but I really felt the NF held its own when compared to other brands, others will feel differently.

And where is the OP? These threads get started by new (or low posting) Cafe members and they don't seem to return......
    Last edited by bigskygirl; Feb-13-2015 at 3:43pm. Reason: Add thought

2. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

If I ever 'dump' my Northfield, it will be to fund the purchase of another Northfield. My new one will have the Northfield Logo centered on the headstock.
    OCD is not easy to deal with.

4. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    It's true that there's no explaining how brands appear in clusters on the Classifieds, but I for one am wary of a new name that has only been on sale for a short time, yet very frequently appears for sale second-hand, on shop websites as well as here.
    i'm not sure how many years NF has been producing mandolins, but i'm thinking its at least 5 thereabouts. to me thats not really a new name, they've been around quite a while, i don't think i've ever found a bad review when i was researching my latest buy. the only thing i would come across would be someone mentioning the mandolin was not as loud as they had hoped-but that can be said to happen with all brands from time to time. and maybe those few folks had not attempted further experimentation with strings/picks, etc to find a louder sound. then again it may have been some of the technical aspects of how they play also. so much is up in the air with instruments. one persons disappointment is anothers treasure.

i do see a respected list of high end professional players using the Northfield brand:
    Adam Steffey
    Emory Lester
    Aaron Ramsey
    Don Julin
    Jefferson Louvat
    Joshua Ricko
    Martin Coppo
    Zeb Snyder
    Mike Marshall
    Daryl Crisp(wait a minute, how'd this guy get......................)

I'm very familiar with the first three folks, having seen them either perform multiple times and or talk with them. I think it goes without saying they could probably get a mandolin from just about anybody and use in performing-with many builders/brands offering to sponsor and give them an instrument. i don't know how the arrangements are with NF, but the three i've spoken seem to use the NF because they want too-not because of any other driven mechanism. they just like how it sounds and how it plays.

I have not seen the mandolin, but i've been told Don Julin has just about worn his out by playing it so much. And i logged in to my lessons at Artistworks the other day and saw Mike Marshall had a nice looking NorthField he was using.

I doubt NF is paying the folks to use the instruments because i don't think the company is large enough to afford that. There's only a couple of folks building these.

There's a video out of Adam Steffey and he simply says(concerning a NorthField he is playing at that moment), "this is all the axe anyone would ever need". Really, they are very nice mandolins, and for the price, extremely huge bang for the buck.

d

Blog Entries

My opinion is that often, people "over-think" this.... and read far more into things than there really is. MAS is a funny thing, and for some. the "grass is always greener" with something else. This happens with ALL brands and all builders... I can't tell you how many times I have encountered people with one high end instrument who get a feeling that they have to have a different one! Doesn't matter if it is $3K, $5K, $12K or even $20K. Irrelevant - they just think something else would be better/nicer. There was one person who had a really very nice Gilchrist, but had MAS big time for a Loar. Sold the Gil, got the Loar, within 12 months was trying to buy the Gilchrist back again. Go figure. The grass is not always greener, but you don't know until you try which is a) unfortunate and b) an expensive way to educate yourself.

I have a very nice Northfield. It has its own sound... quite different from the others. Once you get past a certain price/quality point terns like "better" or "best" become meaningless, and all you have are differences and preferences. Some people latch onto one sound and one instrument and stay there (Monroe, Tony Rice), some people seem to constantly cycle through a whole bunch of instruments (Norman Blake is a good example). Just human nature. Some stay with one, some enjoy lots of different ones. That's probably not just limited to guitars and mandolins, either...
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Given the population here, many of whom like trying out different stuff, what's the surprise? I [I]don't[I] see Northfields used many other places--Reverb, ebay, etc.

I just got mine, and am well pleased. I am a shameless and constant trader, and have owned--never more than three at a time--eleven or so different mandolins in the last six years. The Northfield is the most playable of them all and balanced with a nice pop. It'll stick around for a long while, I think.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jdchapman View Post
    I just got mine, and am well pleased. I am a shameless and constant trader, and have owned--never more than three at a time--eleven or so different mandolins in the last six years. The Northfield is the most playable of them all and balanced with a nice pop. It'll stick around for a long while, I think.
    Which one did you get, Josh? Let's see some pictures!
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Here's a pic. Forgive the kilroy--I'm limited to the computer camera today.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo on 2015-02-17 at 08.12.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	130760
    I got a good deal on it because somebody knicked it on the shop floor, but I was saving to pay full price anyway. I wanted something to compliment the mellower and bassier Silver Angel, and this does the job as well as the Yellowstone and Festival I was also looking at, and I find the neck more comfortable than either. Plus, whether it's the tonewood or something else, it has a kind of pop that I like a lot, especially on lead lines. I doubt I'll tire of it anytime soon.

11. The following members say thank you to jdchapman for this post:

That's not a left-handed Northfield -- you reversed the photo image!

I am very happy with my custom Weber Yellowstone, thanks Bruce for a great instrument. But, I do need a new set of golf clubs.

Blog Entries

I wanted something to compliment the mellower and bassier Silver Angel
    Yes. Good choice - they are quite a bit "drier" and a lot more mid-range in there. This is the beauty of fine mandolins, so many flavors... all good!
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

I got a good deal on it because somebody knicked it on the shop floor, but I was saving to pay full price anyway.
    Did you grab one of those shopworn models that The Mandolin Store has posted lately? Even I called about one of those, and I don't yet suffer from scroll envy!
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Anyone else happen to notice that the "random" builder of the day is Northfield!? I have been impressed with these instruments from the beginning. They just seemed to present a level of quality that is a step above the ordinary, for lack of a better word. I have only played an early F5 and would jump at the chance to see what the current stuff looks like but they do not show up very often at all around these parts.

Sean

It was one of the ones from the mando store, and the blemish was minimal. It's pristine enough by my standards, and if the one he just advertised is as mine, I wouldn't hesitate. I share Patrick's tendency to favor A's, but I'm happy I bit. Almeria, agreed on the dry tone and the flavors. No knock on the other models mentioned. One at a time for, though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jason22 View Post
    If everyone thinks Northfied mandolins are so great, wonder why there always seems to be so many used ones for sale. There can't be that many of them out there. They always seem to be priced very close too new as well. Any thoughts?
    There have been two (at least) used Gibson Master Model's for sale in the classifieds over the past day or so.........

Hmmm....

Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

It was one of the ones from the mando store, and the blemish was minimal. It's pristine enough by my standards, and if the one he just advertised is as mine, I wouldn't hesitate. I share Patrick's tendency to favor A's, but I'm happy I bit. Almeria, agreed on the dry tone and the flavors. No knock on the other models mentioned. One at a time for, though.
    At the price listed with free shipping, I was betting you could try your hand at a Northfield F and not risk a loss if you were inclined to move it subsequently in the classifieds.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    At the price listed with free shipping, I was betting you could try your hand at a Northfield F and not risk a loss if you were inclined to move it subsequently in the classifieds.
    Patrick I know I said I don't seem to have MAS anymore but when I saw the Northfield for sale on the Mando Store I had to dig real deep to talk myself down from getting it... Who am I kidding of course I need another mando.

21. The following members say thank you to Clement Barrera-Ng for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Clement Barrera-Ng View Post
    Patrick I know I said I don't seem to have MAS anymore but when I saw the Northfield for sale on the Mando Store I had to dig real deep to talk myself down from getting it... Who am I kidding of course I need another mando.
    Clement, up until last night's post about your Kentucky KM-1000, I thought you were completely mandogamous!
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

23. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Three Collings used MF models all dropped into the classifieds today...every one a handsome instrument!
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

my experience - I had one mint Northfield F5S for an approval and it was very nice mando but Ive returned...

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    If you suffer from MAS but are never affected by MES, well then, you -- my friend -- have MHS -- Mandolin Hoarding Syndrome.
    I aspire to that.