Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandolin Recording: Can't Figure This Out

Default Re: Mandolin Recording: Can't Figure This Out

apologies, I meant the best for money, the first version of Apogee Duet you can buy under 200 dollars and sounds better than fe Rme Babyface, Focusrite Forte etc. interfaces that Ive owned too

theres one upcomming option Audient ID14 with great conversion, preamps and ADAT expandable for 299 - that seems no brainer for new interface...

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    I think we have to be careful with absolute assertions as to "the best".

It is a nice sounding unit, but the overall connectivity (no ADAT, for example) is very limited and the breakout box/cables are a real weak point. Apogee preamps and conversion have always been good, however (I used to run an Ensemble, original firewire version before switching to the Thunderbolt UAD platform). The new Ensemble looks very nice.

Conversion technology has come a very long way in the past few years, and frankly, just about any of the medium-higher end interfaces are going to be so good in that area that it is hair-splitting territory rather that chasms between them.

If you are looking for 2 (mic input) units (for Mac) the Audient ID22 is certainly up there with the UAD Apollo, Apogee, RME and the rest in performance terms. Often gets overlooked, but it is a very nice piece of gear indeed.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolin Recording: Can't Figure This Out

Quote Originally Posted by mandobajo View Post
    theres one upcomming option Audient ID14 with great conversion, preamps and ADAT expandable for 299 - that seems no brainer for new interface...
    I agree. That looks superb, especially for a portable rig. Very nice routing, and the current generation of Audient A/D is brilliant. Super preamps, too. Incredibly clean and transparent.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.