Thread: Replacing Tuners

Default Replacing Tuners

Quick question:

Is replacing the tuning machines a job for the luthier only?
    Thanks,
    Travis

2006 Weber Gallatin, 1984 Flatiron 2MW, Wendler #194, Schwab #177

Default Re: Replacing Tuners

It depends. Are you upgrading to a different type/ brand, or just replacing a faulty one with the same? If the latter, it is only a matter of taking out the screws, popping out the old one, popping in the new one, and replacing the screws. Quite easy. If you are changing the type of tuner or upgradinging to a better brand, it is almost a guarantee that the screw holes will not line up. So the old ones will have to be plugged with round toothpicks and wood glue, cut flush, and new pilot holes drilled for the new screws. The plugged holes should be touched up with stain if they are not covered by the plates. Many do this job themselves but if you are not experienced there are lots of things that could go wrong, like accidentally drilling all the way through the peg head, going too big or too small with the pilot holes, and other disasters. If you are not comfortable with that amount of risk definitely a luthier. I don't think it would be that expensive.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to multidon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Wilson View Post
    Quick question:

Is replacing the tuning machines a job for the luthier only?
    No. Same tuners except new. go for it. Different tuners. check for fit before you drill and plug, etc. Could be a lot of work for nada. If you're working on a Dudenbostel or the like, see a luthier.

I replaced mine last year with Grovers and it wasn't hard. Make sure you get the kind that fits your model.

I've replaced machine heads on two guitars--and both were done by guitar techs with experience.
    In one case the original were broken, in another case I got a used guitar where the previous owner changed the originals to machine heads I don't like.
    Both required new screws--so with the smaller dimensions of a mando headstock I would definitely get it done by someone who knows what they're doing.
    If you do, that counts, but if you don't--get experienced help.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?