Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jimmie Rodgers songs

Default Re: Jimmie Rodgers songs

In reference to Evan Reilly's mention of Decca proposed issue of a Monroe set of Jimmie Rodgers songs: It actually did see the light of day albeit as a bootleg release in the early 70's. I've got it somewhere around here but have the Bear Family releases as well.
    Tom Mylet

This ha been great reading for me as I recently finished taking part in a Jimmie Rodgers CD by dobro great Jim Heffernan and Jim Mitchell. Mitchell has a great soulful voice and does a awesome job on these songs. I was fortunate enough to be asked to play upright bass on the whole project, harmony vocals and mandolin on a couple of tunes. It was really fun getting to know some of these tunes and opened my eyes to JR,s music. Look for the CD. It really well done.

U just can't beat that old music no way no how! I remember growing up in the Mississippi delta,listening to the grand ole opra.We'd sit on front porch or an old cotton trailor like my mom and her 11 bro.'s and sis.'s. Man my uncle could yodel with the best there was.Lord I'd forgot that. All my mom's people could sing tho.My grandmother's baby bro.was Harold Dorman.He used to sing on the opre.He was a great guy to know.Aahhh memories!!

4. The following members say thank you to choctaw61 for this post:

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Hey Evan: Interesting!! - electric guitar & drums!! - I know about his(Monroe's) so-called C/W numbers, but w. drums & electric guitar!!! I do know about "Bradley's organ!?# & Sally's accordian!#) - Thanks for the info. Moose.
    Billy Forrester's accordion was Monroe's own choice. She toured with the band from 1943 to 1945, before Flatt&Scruggs joined the BG boys. She played on one session, in early 1945.

The organ, with one exception, was used on gospel numbers; the default instrumentation on Monroe's gospel quartets in the early days was just mandolin, guitar and bass; Bradley, who either produced these recordings, or assisted Paul Cohen, added his organ on a few numbers. It wasn't until 1961 or 1962 that Monroe recorded a gospel quartet with banjo.

An album in the early 50's consisted of four 78's, eight songs. Monroe did record eight songs associated with Rodgers at two sessions; the first with BG instrumentation and the second with electric guitars. That, of course, was not his idea, and,
    according to Bradley, Monroe was not comfortable with it at all. Several of the songs were never released domestically, and two stayed in the can until 1964.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph johansson View Post
    Billy Forrester's accordion...
    Believe it was "Sally" Forrester, actually (really!) Goldie Sue Wilene Russell Forrester, wife of Howard "Howdy" Forrester, who played fiddle for Monroe in the early 1940's.

According to Smith's Monroe bio, she also kept the band's books. She was gone from the Blue Grass "Boys" by 1946, when Monroe assembled the Flatt-Scruggs-Wise version of the band.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Jimmie Rodgers sure wrote a lot of good tunes! My personal favorites are Waiting for a Train and Blue Yodel #9 (Standing on a Corner). Here's my take on Blue Yodel #9 on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO3SX4QJdI8

One of my favorites of Jimmie's. I don't know if he wrote it or not.

"The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

One of my favorites is "Waiting For A Train." It''s the first one of his songs I remember hearing, as done by Boz Scaggs on his first album. Backed by some fine studio musicians maybe The Swampers, including Duane Allman, pre-ABB. Oh, and well before Boz went disco, back when he was good. Real good.

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Yeah, you right JB, that is a great album. I think that's the first place I heard Waiting For A Train as well. I still have that one in the old (guitar) repertoire. Same song as Peach Pickin' Time, really.

Blog Entries

It sure is. Everyone talks about "Loan Me A Dime" and the long guitar workout by Duane, but that first side has some great songs, perfect blends of soul and country, often overlooked. (And it is indeed the Swampers, the great house band from Muscle Shoals, Alabama, backing him up, shortly after having left FAME Studio to strike out on their own.) His first four releases were great (I see he had another album out in 1965 I'd never heard of, released in Sweden and apparently very rare), especially "Moments." Again, side one of that is great, and is in fact one of my favorite album sides of all time.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming, already in progress ...

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Believe it was "Sally" Forrester, actually (really!) Goldie Sue Wilene Russell Forrester, wife of Howard "Howdy" Forrester, who played fiddle for Monroe in the early 1940's.

According to Smith's Monroe bio, she also kept the band's books. She was gone from the Blue Grass "Boys" by 1946, when Monroe assembled the Flatt-Scruggs-Wise version of the band.
    I made a spelling mistake, here. She was commonly known as Billie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billie_Forrester

Quote Originally Posted by mrbook View Post
    "Muleskinner Blues" is one of those definitive bluegrass songs that Monroe took from Rodgers and put in his own style - right from the opening run.
    I had no idea, thanks for sharing that mrbrook....cool stuff to know. I love Monroe's Muleskinner Blues..
    jason

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Believe it was "Sally" Forrester, actually (really!) Goldie Sue Wilene Russell Forrester.
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph johansson View Post
    I made a spelling mistake, here. She was commonly known as Billie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billie_Forrester
    It seems to me you're both more than half right - Apparently Bill Monroe hung the nickname "Sally Ann" on her. It would be nice to see how she were credited in an album's liner notes, but it looks like she had left the band long before they recorded a studio album.

That wikipedia page is really sparse. If someone has more info on her and wants to update the page - particularly her full name (verification/citation required) - please do so, or forward the info to me and I'll do it. They have her name as just "Wilene Russell."

....Bill did record quite a lot of Jimmie's songs,...one in particular is WHEN THE CACTUS IS IN BLOOM,...however, Bill insisted on using the incorrect grammar ! by using the 'plural' verb "are",,.surely Bill should have NOT done that !...a wonder the record company didn't correct him ?...also...did he NOT listen to what Jimmie said ?