Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jimmie Rodgers songs

For some reason I've gotten on a Jimmie Rodgers song kick lately. Maybe hearing Doc play "Peach Pickin' Time in Georgia" again made me dig deeper. There's a great compilation by folks like Mary Chapin Carpenter, Allison Krauss, Steve Earle, Willie, Dylan, Dickey Betts, etc. called Jimmie Rodgers Tribute. There are some great songs on it. Some good, but sparce mandolin on it, too.

I like Tony Rice's version of Any Old Time.

They're fun songs to sing, nice to take breaks on, and they use some different chords put together. It gets me away from the typical I, IV, V. However, my yodel needs some development... It's a blue yodel for sure, cause it makes me sad.
    David Mehaffey
    -------------------------------
    ...I wonder how the old folks are at home...

Professional History Nerd John Zimm's Avatar

Jimmy Rodgers is great. I can't hear "Daddy and Home" without getting a little choked up as it reminds me of my late Stepfather.

Yodeling is great. If I were a singer I would work long and hard at getting that yodel down. You can pick a pretty fine yodel on the mandolin, but what can compare to Jimmy Rodgers belting it out?

-John.
    Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    Ah! must thou char the wood 'ere thou canst limn with it ?
    --Francis Thompson

I agree. His yodel is awesome. I can do it some, but only in certain keys, like D or E. If it's too low for me, I have trouble with breaking over into the falsetto.

These songs are great.
    David Mehaffey

I just realized that Dawg is playing the banjo mandolin on Garcia's song on the Tribute record I'm listening to. Don't much care for the sound of a banjo mando, but dislike Jerry Garcia's yodel even more.
    David Mehaffey

5. The following members say thank you to David M. for this post:

The songs of Jimmie Rodgers are timeless. His blues songs (along with Hank Williams') are the kind I can sing convincingly, and many of the other songs have interesting chord progressions. I could live without the recent tribute album, but you will find great versions of his songs done by Doc Watson and Hank Snow. Lefty Frizzell did a great album of his songs in the 50s that was reissued in the 1970s, but I don't know if it is on CD. Get it if you can find it.

When introducing one of his songs, I've often mentioned that many musicians - Ernest Tubb, Gene Autry, Hank Snow, and others - started out as Rodgers imitators before developing their own styles. I can't think of a single Elvis imitator who has progressed any farther.

I have worked up a number of Jimmie Rodgers songs.
    In addition to the Carter Family and Bill Monroe, Rodgers is the only artist whose entire recorded output I own (Thanks again, Bear Family!!!).
    Of interest is the fact that in 1951 Decca was very close to releasing a Jimmie Rodgers 'tribute' album of covers recorded by Bill Monroe.
    Monroe recorded several sessions of Rodgers' songs, I beleive twelve in all.
    These are the mostly-infamous recordings with electric guitar and drums. Decca never released the project. I recreated it by assembling the songs from the Bear Family Monroe box set, alongside the original Jimmie Rodgers recording.
    By the way, there is a great picture of Monroe at Rodgers' grave marker unveiling that is published in one of the tribute books about Rodgers. Monroe was a big fan of Jimmie's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MONROE_7.GIF 
Views:	251 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	7905  

Hey Evan: Interesting!! - electric guitar & drums!! - I know about his(Monroe's) so-called C/W numbers, but w. drums & electric guitar!!! I do know about "Bradley's organ!?# & Sally's accordian!#) - Thanks for the info. Moose.

"Muleskinner Blues" is one of those definitive bluegrass songs that Monroe took from Rodgers and put in his own style - right from the opening run.

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Me. But I don't do Muleskinner Blues.

See if you can find the Ramblin' Jack Elliot recordings of the Jimmy Rogers classics. It's worth a listen.
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

11. The following members say thank you to Jack Roberts for this post:

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (David M. @ April 07 2005, 11:20)
    I just realized that Dawg is playing the banjo mandolin on Garcia's song on the Tribute record I'm listening to. Don't much care for the sound of a banjo mando, but dislike Jerry Garcia's yodel even more.
    If you want a yodel to hate, you ought to hear mine. The Banjo player passes out earplugs when I start...
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

13. The following members say thank you to Jack Roberts for this post:

I learned "Miss The Mississippi And You". The chord progression is a real stretch for me. Completely different from anything I've ever played before.

Merle Haggard put out a double Lp set..probably back in the 70's sometime..maybe earlier....of nothing but Jimmy Rodgers songs...Ive got the set....it doesnt get any better than that. It should be required listening.

I as well Do Muleskinner, Blue yodel Did ya know there were 13 versions cause the first sold a million copies ? Jimmie was only the second person to sell that many behind labelmate My blue heaven singer Gene Austin , Heck He outsold Al (I love to singa ) Jolson .I am a huge Jimmie Rodgers fan. Jimmie made 110 recordings .He had only a six year Recording Career . Born James Charles Rodgers September 8th 1897 youngest of 3 boys in pine springs, MS. There is also a Parade And Festival Every year In Meridian , MS http://www.jimmierodgers.com/home.html Ernest Tubb got the famous Thanks Martin Jimmie made so famous . Jimmie sent money to everyone who needed it . He Worked for the railroad . And Recorded at Bristol for The famous Ralph Peer when the carters did For the Victor Talking And Recording company on August 4th 1927 . Sadly TB took him away I have the film from the early 30s #The Singing Brakeman #Him with the two little ole ladies he does.
    Waiting for a train, Nice whistle he does the yodel ! #Next he does daddy and home, Finishes with blue yodel. I dont think he ever got his coffee lol ,A Columbia Victor Gem ! And TNN did the life and times of Jimmie in the mid 90s I am glad i taped that ! Sad to know he had so much and died almost Completely broke.From One of the nicest houses in texas to a small house. Performed even though he was dying from the TB Father Of country music, Member of Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame. And his manager jokes he only knew 2 chords.

17. The following members say thank you to Juice6120 for this post:

Scotti: #I've been kicking around that Hag collection. #That has to be awesome.

I'd love to see some chords posted here to some of the songs if anyone's up to it. #I don't have alot of it worked out, but may be able to get one or two on here.

I ran across a link below with lots of his lyrics and some chords:

http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~pjkuijve/#...(ALSO%20CALLED
    David Mehaffey

Greg Brown's "The Train that Carried Jimmy Rodgers Home" puts his music in context. Iris DeMent does a great cover on the compilation of Brown's songs. It's a bit slow, but you can do a nice blusey rift on mando for a break.

Greg -n- Iris. Now a married couple. He's from Iowa and I have seen him around Iowa City from time to time. Haven't seen Iris, yet, though.
    David Mehaffey

"My Rough and Rowdy Ways" is one of our trio's standards.

Don Smith

If y'all want to go hog wild on Jimmie Rodgers - I went to Elderly records and picked up a 5 CD collection of his original recordings for under $25.00. It's a steal at that price.
    I think "Miss the Mississippi" is one of my favorite songs. I used to get together for jam sessions with a Japanese friend of mine who was crazy for the song. Whenever he had a snootful of saki he just had to sing it. The results were too funny for words. My advice for the day - don't drink saki at a bluegrass jam session.
    You can't see your future in a rear view mirror.

David Mehaffey

I prefer "generic liqour"...!?

Muleskinner Blues, My Rough and Rowdy Ways, Ben Dewberry,and Frankie and Johnnie are the Jimmie Rodgers songs that I play most often.
    Just might get some sleep tonight

http://www.geocities.com/tenn_jed_1999/

Here are a few really good songs from Rodgers' repertoire

Hurry home, sweet Mama
    Any Old Time
    Somewhere down below the Dixon Line
    Mississippi Delta Blues
    (he rcorded these two numbers two days before he died)
    Mississippi River Blues
    Nobody knows but me
    Treasures untold (written by an uncle of Mike Auldridge's)

Default Re: Jimmie Rodgers songs

Quote Originally Posted by Juice6120 View Post
    I as well Do Muleskinner, Blue yodel Did ya know there were 13 versions cause the first sold a million copies ? Jimmie was only the second person to sell that many behind labelmate My blue heaven singer Gene Austin , Heck He outsold Al (I love to singa ) Jolson .I am a huge Jimmie Rodgers fan. Jimmie made 110 recordings .He had only a six year Recording Career . Born James Charles Rodgers September 8th 1897 youngest of 3 boys in pine springs, MS. There is also a Parade And Festival Every year In Meridian , MS http://www.jimmierodgers.com/home.html Ernest Tubb got the famous Thanks Martin Jimmie made so famous . Jimmie sent money to everyone who needed it . He Worked for the railroad . And Recorded at Bristol for The famous Ralph Peer when the carters did For the Victor Talking And Recording company on August 4th 1927 . Sadly TB took him away I have the film from the early 30s #The Singing Brakeman #Him with the two little ole ladies he does.
    Waiting for a train, Nice whistle he does the yodel ! #Next he does daddy and home, Finishes with blue yodel. I dont think he ever got his coffee lol ,A Columbia Victor Gem ! And TNN did the life and times of Jimmie in the mid 90s I am glad i taped that ! Sad to know he had so much and died almost Completely broke.From One of the nicest houses in texas to a small house. Performed even though he was dying from the TB Father Of country music, Member of Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame. And his manager jokes he only knew 2 chords.
    ...lets see what needs a slight correction,...about JR's siblings, -don't forget sister Lottie Mae !...and about ET getting the JR Martin,...-it was only on LOAN to him from Carrie and Anita !...the movie (talking short) was done in 1929 to be exact,...and concerning the crack about "two chords", -just listen to the run he goes through in Ben Dewberry's Final Run !..some of those chords I still haven't found !...anything else about Jimmie you need to know?...What brand of cigarettes he smoked ?

DavidM, I have the Jimmie Rodgers Memorial Folios Vol ! & 2. Lyrics, chords etc for about 80 of Jimmies songs. Have had them since I was 15 years old (now 76) and hooked on Jimmie. If you're able to get my email off the site and email me direct with your address I will mail them to you. No cost to you, I no longer need them and I'm losing my sight.
    Dave Carlson (rockies on the Café)
    Heiden A, '52 Martin D-18, Taylor 510, Carlson Custom A with Electronics

Sorry, looking at them after I dug them out I was actually about 30 when I got them. Where the H*#L did the time go ? They were published in the late 60's. Offer still holds David !!
    Dave
    Heiden A, '52 Martin D-18, Taylor 510, Carlson Custom A with Electronics