Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My wife doesn't believe there is such as thing as MAS

Default Re: My wife doesn't believe there is such as thing as MAS

I may not be the best one to comment on MAS, I have played the same mandolin for most of my years playing. I have had a few pass through my hands but only kept the Alvarez. There is only one other I really, seriously dream of owning.
    Come on lotto!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Blog Entries

Many years ago on a first or maybe second date, my date saw all my mandolin cases and made some off hand comment about how many mandolins can you play at once. In the course of things encouraged her to take up an instrument, and fast forward about a year and their three guitars and a dulcimer in her living room.

I think it is a musician thing. I know a jazz trumpet player who has five or six trumpets (TAS?), and fiddlers - OMG - its like hermit crabs collecting shells.

I am not sure MAS is worse that GAS or TAS or FAS. It just depends. The internet in general pours gasoline on the fires of the syndrome.

(And perhaps the argument could be made that the excellence of this site pours higher octane gasoline on our burning affliction. It would be interesting to see. I believe that the cafe has caught the attention of only a minority of mandolinners out there, and if we compared their acquisitiveness with ours... hmmmm.)

Another limit is the instrument itself. Piano acquisition syndrome would be onerous, but I knew a guy who had something like ten player pianos. (And created a small business publishing books about player pianos.)

I think the greatest influencer is that we are, I really believe, living in a golden age of lutherie. The computer and related technology has allowed craftspeople to reliably and consistently create quality instruments arguably as good as the best ever. The result, I believe, is that some of the greatest music making boxes on the planet are available to mere mortals at prices that are for the most part within reach, or at least not unreasonably out of reach. Once one has the experience to appreciate what can be made, it is hard to not want an example.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Hey, MAS ain't nothin' compared to FRAS. (Fishing Rod Acquisition Syndrome). At least the music we make can be appreciated by outsiders. But Fishing Rod Acquisition Syndrome leads to obsessive walking around in buggy ravines to stand for hours in running water. Try explaining that to spouses and friends?

I still have more fishing rods than mandolins. Its getting close, but its not there yet.

A friend of mine has more than a reasonable number of guitars but has no problem with the spouse understanding. She apparently has a world class collection of vintage cast iron cookware.

I have several nice pieces of cast iron myself, so its not like I don't understand.

The entire staff
    funny....

4. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

To Mrs. BBaker: You can both be happy with your syndromes. You can relieve your HDAS and his MAS. Just decorate your home with mandolins!!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David L For This Useful Post:

Part of a good relationship, I think, is the ability to appreciate the passions of a spouse even if you don't share it, whether it's sports, handbags, home décor or mandolins.

I actually know more people whose spouses don't mind them having instruments, just playing them. One of our band members is a fine whistle player (and don't even ask a whistle player how many s/he owns -- it makes MAS look pretty paltry) and box player but his wife really, really hates traditional Irish music. She's OK with him coming to band rehearsals and on gigs, but won't let him practice in the house. He has to practice in the garage ... another one gets interrupted every time he picks up his whistle to practice because his wife suddenly notices that something around the house needs done ... another one just rolls her eyes at everyone around when her husband starts talking music ... makes me appreciate being married to another musician.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

8. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

sgrexa 

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Hey, MAS ain't nothin' compared to FRAS. (Fishing Rod Acquisition Syndrome).
    I have heard of this one as well, and it may well be the worst of this class of afflictions. I have a close friend who is a heavy user on a fly rod forum, and his rod collection is spectacular. Mind-boggling, even to a mandolin player!
    Think globally, bike locally.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eadg145 View Post
    I have heard of this one as well, and it may well be the worst of this class of afflictions. I have a close friend who is a heavy user on a fly rod forum, and his rod collection is spectacular. Mind-boggling, even to a mandolin player!
    Yes. You can't beat fly fishing for paraphernalia. Somewhere in some thread I mentioned a friend who outfitted a room in his house with all his fishing stuff. What a joy to sit with him and talk fishing while looking at all his fly rods, (upwards of way way more than I had ever seen), framed vintage fly fishing cartoons, fly tying desk, old reels, new reels, and some really vintage old landing nets.

I think it was in the string label thread.

The entire staff
    funny....

I suffer from Gizmosis too, which is the uncontrollable need to collect all ancillary tools and equipment related to (but not really needed for) any given hobby. Photographers are some of the worst along with many fisherfolk, cooks, model makers, artists, mechanics, and craftsmen of most stripe. Oh, those involved with boating are pretty well infected too. I guess I let the cat out of the bag, I love to cook, fish(though don't have much time for that) boat, take pictures, design projects.
    My wife just got me a tiny bench horn anvil which I wanted badly even though I have no idea what I will NEED it for, it's just one more gizmo, I had to have. I am badly infected, and will keep myself in quarantine! Back to a corner.
    Timothy F. Lewis

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Hey, MAS ain't nothin' compared to FRAS. (Fishing Rod Acquisition Syndrome). At least the music we make can be appreciated by outsiders. But Fishing Rod Acquisition Syndrome leads to obsessive walking around in buggy ravines to stand for hours in running water. Try explaining that to spouses and friends?

I still have more fishing rods than mandolins. Its getting close, but its not there yet.

A friend of mine has more than a reasonable number of guitars but has no problem with the spouse understanding. She apparently has a world class collection of vintage cast iron cookware.

I have several nice pieces of cast iron myself, so its not like I don't understand.
    I didn't even think about how many fishing poles i have, which i have more fishing poles than mandolins but less than guitars.

I am lucky my spouse plays guitar, has learned a few chords on the mandolin and likes to go fishing, and also wants a banjo
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Hey, MAS ain't nothin' compared to FRAS. (Fishing Rod Acquisition Syndrome). At least the music we make can be appreciated by outsiders. But Fishing Rod Acquisition Syndrome leads to obsessive walking around in buggy ravines to stand for hours in running water. Try explaining that to spouses and friends?...
    Lucky for me my husband has this....

Quote Originally Posted by bbaker2050 View Post
    This is the wife. If there is such thing as MAS, then I think I can justify my illness. HDAS. (Home Decor Acquisition Syndrome) Something Brad doesn't seem to understand....
    i understand the home decor thing. every wall in the house needs a mandolin or two hanging on it.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jackgaryk For This Useful Post:

how many spices,paint brushes,cooking utensils,fleece jackets,pocket knives,shoes,etc.
    part utility, part aesthetic appreciation,
    life is a banquet

Oh, Snap! I forgot about thermos bottles and pocket knives I have collected, am collecting.
    Then again we are deep,in the throes of MCPS (Mandolin Cafe Posting Syndrome), I blame that one on Scott!
    Yes, indeed life is a banquet and, most poor suckers are starving to death! Auntie Mame
    (The PC version)
    Timothy F. Lewis

The wife probably doesn't believe in Santa , the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy either. And yet. as with MAS .the evidence abounds .Some of us choose not to acknowledge the obvious . Denial can be a powerful nemesis . With some luck and some time your wife will hopefully come to terms with her issues . In the meantime keep the faith and play her some nice songs .

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    I may not be the best one to comment on MAS, I have played the same mandolin for most of my years playing. I have had a few pass through my hands but only kept the Alvarez. There is only one other I really, seriously dream of owning.
    Come on lotto!
    MAS like any disease progreses and changes. At first mine was to acquire a better mandolin, sell the one I had in favor of a better one. About 15 years ago I got a Dearstone that ended that. The "Stone" is everything I want in a mandolin so MAS is cured right? WRONG now I want ones that are just a little different, not to replace my Stone but to supplement it, no longer want to part with any just acquire new ones.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

you are a practical-minded and savvy investor. You work hard for your money. Common interests are great for couples, but so are the individual interests. A well-rounded musician needs a variety of tools.

good luck.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    The last 2 I've acquired was when I went into said store to buy a set of strings, that set of strings cost a couple thousand dollars!
    You should get someone in the shop to take them off the mandolin before you buy them.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

22. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

I only know of one addition I want and as long as I live I know I will still have the craving for it. I have finally stopped adding to the Coleman lantern (oh, and cooler) collection at least, for the present. So, we shall see how the "collection control" holds out for me.
    Weber grills still seem to be troublesome !
    Timothy F. Lewis

It isn't just a monadolin thing for sure. My son is quite conservative in what he buys, lives what you might call a simple lifestyle, but at twenty he now has three acoustic guitars and as many electrics. The only problem I have with them is the space they take up - whereas my five mandolins hang and sit neatly awaiting the chance to sing. i too spend time on ebay "window shopping". Trouble is, the longer you look the more likely you are to spot one that fills a gap - for example I dodn't have an oval hole and imagine what that different sound might do to my life. etc etc

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I used to collect slot cars, i had over 200 i have sold alot , i have around 60 now, maybe i still collect them, and i have around 600 feet of track last time i set it up only had room for 200 feet
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Blog Entries

Cocktail shakers, bamboo fly-fishing rods, antique cameras/darkroom equipment... my wife is amazed I only have one mandolin.
    I think, therefore, I pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard J View Post
    Cocktail shakers, bamboo fly-fishing rods, antique cameras/darkroom equipment... my wife is amazed I only have one mandolin.
    hey Richard...did you ever name that mandolin??

Blog Entries

Yeah, I have named it Bliss.
    I think, therefore, I pick.

29. The following members say thank you to Richard J for this post:

Alden, Minnesota, 12 miles west of where I-90 and I-35 cross in Southern, Minnesota

I'm a man, and I have MAS, and I can change, if I have to, I guess. . . . .and before that, it was brass instruments and motorcycles. It is real, but on the bright side, it's not banjos!
    "Put your hands to the wood
    Touch the music put there by the summer sun and wind
    The rhythms of the rain, locked within the rings
    And let your fingers find The Music in the Wood."
    Joe Grant and Al Parrish (chorus from The Music in the Wood)

Growing up I had HCAS (Hockey Card Acquisition Syndrome)--it grew to be GAS--for gear...
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?