Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Trillium on ebay

I just happened to see it there...it seems to be authentically a Trillium, though one made about 10 years ago...someone could get a nice deal on this, I think.
    I can't tell from the photos if it has the same induced arch that mine does, but Abrams makes lovely instruments, of high quality.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

I'm bidding. Hope it doesn't get too high.
    Paul

this is a very early model. right now a new one is around $1900 and from what i hear from those who have played both the older and the newer, the difference is like night and day. i think the ebay one is going to go over 1500
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Could you be more specific mandobar? exactly what is different?

Relax Paul, I was hoping this one would stay a secret. Having to pay that CO sales tax pretty much knocks me out of the bidding.
    Good luck, hope you get it.

home for wayward mandolins

there is a difference in the tailpiece setup. bob is now using a different tailpiece design that gives more sustain. the older tailpieces were a bit flimsy and several that i played tended to rattle. he is also using some different tonewoods. the fit and finish is also nicer as he has been building for quite a while now. the craftsmanship is much cleaner. i played a '94 someone was selling a while ago. nice, but not as nice as the newer ones i've had a chance to play. go to the aomusicshop.com website and you can see his latest octave that is on consignment there.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Thanks for the info Mandobar. I had a hunch that that would be the case. I was even considering trying to get a new tailpeice from Bob if I won the Trillium. I actually did call AO Music about the other one, but they understandably werent interested in a trade.

Sorry folks... didn't mean to overexpose the auction... just to make sure you guys knew about it!

I'm sure Bob's craft has improved since, but from what I hear, has been pretty fine all along... I'm sure you could get a better tailpiece if needed. And you have an instrument that has aged, which imho, makes for a richer sound. I'd say it probably evens out a bit.

Good luck!!
    KE
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's good to give head's up like this. I have a custom Crump on the way so don't really need another one, but if the price were right....I would hate to sell something of value on ebay and no one noticed and it went for less than it should. I won't go too high on it though. Early work scares me a little after I got an early Old Wave. No offense to Bill but that early Old Wave was sketchy. Binding was off and the sound wasn't there. Played some newer ones that are awesome. Well, I just hope someone on the board gets it so we can hear about it.
    Paul

There is Michael Kelly OM (f-style) also on ebay. Currently going for a lot more than the trillium. Anyone ever play one of these? I play a MK mandolin and wasn't that impressed.

Danny

OK-- did any of you folks get the Trillium? I noticed that the auction ended...

Danny-- I have not played an MK octave, but it doesn't surprise me that it's going for more on ebay...new things tend to sell higher, and MK puts a pretty details on their instruments to make them appealing. It doesn't make them better instruments, though. I'd rather have a plainer, handmade instrument myself.

My guess is that someone got a mighty good buy in that Trillium.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I tried a MK OM,...very underimpressed.

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

It's good to hear word on the MKs... I have been terribly curious about them. An F-body in that size is intriguing to me.
    A number of the mando folk in the other forums have spoken well of MK mandos (not -that- well, but better than I suspected for PacRim stuff), so I had high hopes for the OM.

I wrote to MK HQ to ask where I could play one and they said that the demand had been much greater for the OM than they had expected, so there weren't as many in stores as they had planned. But the store owners in IN, KY, MI, OH and IL that I spoke with didn't really think that an MK OM would be a very popular thing, so they weren't planning on having any in stock.

I sure do want to see/hear/play/hold one. But I can't gamble a grand just to have the experience.
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

I wouldn't bother with one. If you really want a F style OM look for a bitterroot or gallatin octave.
    Paul

shameless plug: I have a '04 Bitteroot OM Im debating about parting with, once my custom OM arrives.... or maybe sooner. I like it but the necks a tad wide for me.

That seems to be true, in general, of the Weber necks... they're like baseball bats next to the slim Trillium neck. However, they are nice instruments. I played a Gallatin recently (regular, not OM) and liked it alot... and a friend of mine has an OM based on the Absaroka model, and it is a very nice instrument.. I think the Sound to Earth folks do good work.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love Weber mandos. Still, among the ones I've played I haven't found the one that is right for me.

I don't know what I find so attractive about an F-body with an OM size. If I -really- wanted one, I would have done committed financial things and ordered the custom Weber. I have a pretty clear idea of what I'd specify to Weber for mine, too.

But I am just tremendously curious to find out what the PacRiminals can do with one. <GG>
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    There Was A Time

steve,

acoustic outfitters in stratham, nh has a mk f style om. i was not impressed. especially when there is a new trillium hanging a few feet away. i am tempted to
    sell my sage octave and buy the trillium, but i have a mandolin to pay for soon and i must be good.

Hey Mandobar,
    Congrats on your restraint, but ... the Tril... whew... good stuff...

I know ou're gonna hate this, but... tell me more detail about the MK?
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    There Was A Time

Oh StV...it's just scroll envy... it'll pass.

They're overrated, imho...
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

steve, only way i can describe it was it just has no bounce. there are some really fine mandolin instruments in that shop. right now there is a brentrup 23v there with an italian top. but i keep eyeing that trillium.

I playede a Yellowstone OM once and was very impressed the found out it was over $5000 but still it is worth it.

theres a Beard zouk on Ebay. I also noticed a nice pair of blacktop Gibson twins there, listed by Acoustic Outfitters. Have you seen these Mandobar? BTW I think you should just do it (Trillium)Heah you only live once.

I played an MK mando and was really unimpressed. no punch, no sustain, and not much top end sound. For the same money, way better instruments can be had.

danny

actually guys, i have a sobell zouk. i should just be content with that. (i keep telling myself that)

Mandobar... by all means, PLAY the Trillium. I'd be interested to hear how it compares to your Sobell and Sage, sound-wise. I prefer my Tril' to the Sages I've played, but have never laid hands on a Sobell.

Now, whether or not you are moved to buy the Trillium is another matter entirely. What mando do you have coming?
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~