Thread: benefit of upgrading / buying online

Default benefit of upgrading / buying online

I've been playing on a Rogue 100A that I got to see if I liked the mandolin, two years later I love it and I'm trying to start playing with other musicians.

Since I know I want to put in the effort to get better and play more, I've been thinking about upgrading. I don't have any experience outside of my Rogue, so I'm not dissatisfied but I don't know what I'm missing.

I'm hesitant to buy an instrument online, but I live in San Diego and there's not much in the way of mandolin stores here. I come from a drumming background and I've never bought equipment that I hadn't directly tried out before, and I'm guessing you can read all you want about radiused fretboards and tinny sounds but it's not really a substitute for holding and playing.

My question is - what's the importance of upgrading, and is it worth doing if you can't try out the instrument? I would think there are benefits, like sound quality in band setting goes up, playability might be better on an upgraded mandolin, etc, but if learning on a cheap one is the same as learning on better one then it could be better to wait until I have the opportunity to get hands-on experience some day.

Blog Entries

Default Re: benefit of upgrading / buying online

No such thing as a guarantee but if you pick something like a used Rigel they have an excellent reputation for playability and a solid resale value when purchased used. Definitely worth the upgrade from a Starter instrument. When you start adding tonal differentiations you complicate the issue. I would just go for a better instrument of any kind and move on.

The Rogue 100A is a good starter mandolin and if they are set up right with decent strings can get you well on the road to further mandolin enjoyment. Based on your story I would say you're ready to upgrade to the next level. You will notice a definite increase in your satisfaction if you move up to an intermediate quality mandolin. A newly purchased mandolin will always need to be set up by a qualified technician. A used mandolin that has already been set up and adjusted can also be a great value. Spend a few bucks and upgrade, it's worth it.

A lot depends on your 1) budget and 2) commitment.

If your budget is large enough (maybe over $2k), then take a portion of that money and invest in a short trip to the nearest really great mandolin shop, that specializes in mandolin. There are many of these shops recommended in this forum. Round trip airfare can be pretty cheap in the lower 48 states and one night in a hotel is not much. Then you could play on dozens of quality mandolins in any price range.

If your budget allows only for a purchase and you can't travel much distance (less than $2k), then there are several very reputable dealers mentioned in this forum that you can trust the opinion of the store owner, explain what you want and let them pick it out for you. It works for me, but some pickers refuse to buy sight unseen/untouched. I trust the opinion of these professionals, but I also have a cutoff. If I'm spending over $2.5k then I gotta play it, but under that price point then I am not so picky if I am buying from a trusted source. Everyone will have their own line in the sand and some won't even spend $100 unless they can play it first.

Commitment: if you really love it and plan to continue playing and want to get good, then it is well worth upgrading to a quality instrument. It can inspire you further and help you improve. Nothing better than having a mandolin that sounds great to you, feels great, plays easily and looks great too.

You are only 5 hours by car from http://www.themandolinstore.com/ and only 1 hour by plane. For a couple hundred dollars and a couple days time you can bask in mandolin heaven and get professional service from one of the best stores in your region.

They are also where I bought my mandolin online after talking with Dennis and Brian over the phone. They gave me great advice and I ended up with a really fine mandolin, with top notch customer service. I'd do it again. And yes, my playing has improved dramatically after finally upgrading.

And don't forget about the classifieds here. You can get some good buys from your fellow pickers. I've seen some really nice mandolins for sale here and some good prices.

I have had mixed results buying online. I did purchase my Collings MF from Mandolin Store. The transaction was great and I have been really happy with my MF. I also purchased a vintage mandolin that was featured on a website (not Mandolin Store). I spoke to the folks at the shop by phone to make as certain as possible that the mandolin was solid before I sealed the deal. I made it clear that if there was any issue with the instrument I would return it. I was assured it was solid but when I received it I immediately noticed a structural issue that was a deal breaker. I returned it and total cost to me was about $30 in UPS charges and, really, no harm done. The folks at the store were very understanding and didn't push back at all when I informed them I would return the mandolin. I guess even in that case it was a good (but disappointing) transaction. I think best bet is always to play any instrument you buy before you buy it but if that doesn't work given geographic challenges make sure the seller has a clearly defined return policy in case you end up with a lemon.

Rogue , The brand OP spoke Of, Not the River or Brewery. as a warehouse discount item
    Wont come 'Set Up'.

I suspect some of the dissatisfaction is the shipping the closed boxfrom china to You..

buying an instrument that you may pay more for because the seller takes the effort
    to Do The Pre Delivery set Up may well be worth the extra Money.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Go for the Rover RM-50 over the Rogue. It's solid wood and made by Saga, the same company that makes the well regarded Kentucky line. I've heard good reports about it. At under $150, it's quite good value for the money once you get it set up. It's probably comparable to the KM-150.

Just my two cents, but if you really like the mandolin and plan to stick with it and, you want to upgrade....Then upgrade, don't settle for something that you plan to upgrade from in a couple more years. I can also attest to, if you must make an online purchase, you won't go wrong with the Mandolin Store. The staff at TMS are top notched!

FWIW
    2014 Gibson 'Harvey' F5G
    1917 Gibson F2
    2013 'The' Loar LM600VS
    2013 Morgan Monroe 4FJ
    Blue Chip Picks
    The Scallywag Social Club

I had planned on doing a $500 maybe up to $1000 upgrade to have it for a long time, it sounds like working with an online dealer is probably the best way to go. I even drove through Phoenix last year, but I didn't know the Mandolin Store existed at the time!

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

I just bought a new mandolin online from "The Mandolin Store." It' arrived in perfect condition and was set up well. They answered all my questions beforehand. They even talked me out of some ideas that could have easily made them more money. I am totally satisfied.

In the price range you're considering, there are quite a few good Asian-import mandolins, made by Eastman, Kentucky, Loar, JBovier, and some others.

Your Rogue RM-100A is an A-model, all-laminate, pressed-top mandolin with f-holes. If you're looking for something similar, the Eastman MD305 is at the lower end of your range, and Eastman "300" series instruments are generally considered excellent for the price. The Kentucky KM-505 is also comparable, and the Loar LM-520 is an F-model mandolin in a comparable price range.

All these mandolins are all-solid-wood, with hand-carved tops, and are a solid step up from your Rogue. As you move from $500 to $1K, other models can come under consideration. You can also investigate the used market, where models well above $1K "list" will be available. The main considerations are [1] all solid woods, [2] hand carving as opposed to heat pressing, and [3] a good shop set-up, available from several dealers, including the Mandolin Store, Elderly Instruments, Folkmusician.com, Gianna Violins, Janet Davis Music, and others who are Cafe´sponsors.

For the price range you want to be in ($500-$1K), not sure I'd justify a plane trip and an overnight hotel stay. Not that it isn't great fun to spend a day at a store that has a wide selection of instruments to try, but you might be just as well ordering on-line, or by phone, from one of these Cafe´sponsors. They'll work with you to select an instrument, even play it for you over the phone, and they have decent return policies if you're not satisfied.

Good luck -- let us know where you end up.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flickerfusion View Post
    My question is - what's the importance of upgrading, and is it worth doing if you can't try out the instrument? I would think there are benefits, like sound quality in band setting goes up, playability might be better on an upgraded mandolin, etc, but if learning on a cheap one is the same as learning on better one ....
    I believe that yes a better mandolin encourages more playing and makes things perhaps somewhat easier, and really rewards any gains with great sound.

But this is entirely besides the point. In my opinion. Separate entirely the idea of upgrading being linked to its benefits in learning the mandolin. Whether it does or does not, its besides the point.

Which is (please forgive me if I am totally off base): Don't try and justify MAS based on the pedagogical benefits. Its the journey not the goal. If you think you will have a lot more fun with a different, or better mandolin, and you can afford it, just get it and enjoy the potatoes out of it. One should always, in my developing opinion, follow these three steps:

ONE Get the best, most wonderful, awesome mandolin you can reasonably afford, or as close as you can in a reasonable amount of time.

TWO Abandon any idea of justifying on the basis of anything. Tell anyone who has the bad taste to ask: you bought it because you wanted it.

THREE Play the potatoes out of it. Enjoy it. Grow into it. Have fun.

Recent events in my family and among my friends have really hammered home the idea that life is short, health is fragile, and joy is fleeting. Play hard. Play real hard.

then it could be better to wait until I have the opportunity to get hands-on experience some day
    Go out of your way to try out some mandolins. Road trips, festivals, jammers. Best to try before you buy, but not always possible. Don't let the perfect choice get in the way of a real good choice. Don't wait. Get onnnnn widddditttt. Get on to the acquisition and playing of a great instrument and wiping the berry juice off your chin.

Blog Entries

Duplicate post.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

We don't have much in the way of instruments available around here and over about two years I bought three instruments online - ukuleles and a Kentucky mandolin - with good names (lower budget) and good reviews - but I didn't like them very much. I had the chance of a trip to Sydney and looked at what was available online, considering that I would buy a mandola. However I spotted the octave mandolin which I had considered out of my price range, and loved it, even though it was more than twice the price I had intended to pay. Now it is my forever friend. I love it.
    Jan
    "You are never too old to dream a new dream".

Thanks for all the advice! I had been researching for a while and had my eye (ear?) on an Eastman, but one of the new Lafferty imports came up in the classifieds for a good price so I went with that. It sounds like it might be made by Eastman anyway, though I'm not sure what TMS can confirm or deny, but it's nice knowing it was set up by them too. I'm just checking the shipment tracking a lot until it gets here so I can play the potatoes out of it!