Thread: Pickup for Weber Hyalite OM

Default Pickup for Weber Hyalite OM

Hi
    I have a Weber Hyalite OM and I am thinking about installing a pickup in it.

I have read good reviews about the K&K Mandolin twin internal pickup but don't know
    if the 7" cables to the pickups is sufficiently long enough for the K&K recommended placement.

Any recommendations on pickups would be appreciated.

Also, it looks like the end pin on the Weber cannot be replaced with a pickup
    jack so it looks like I will have to drill a hold below it for the jack.

Regards,
    SL

Default Re: Pickup for Weber Hyalite OM

No response? Going with the k&k I guess.

Larry, maybe a more appropriate place for your question would be in the Equipment section. This is where questions about pickups are usually discussed.

The K and K usually gets great reviews here. I had a McIntyre Feather in a mandola that worked pretty well. Generally pickups that work by contacting the top seem to work better on the mandolin family than saddle pickups.

The Weber endpin is actually a thumb screw in a rubber compression nut. Once you remove the rubber nut you will see the hole is bigger than you think it is. It may be already big enough for the jack as it is, or may need to be enlarged only a bit.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I've installed JJB twin p'ups in 3 guitars, 2 21" OM's, and 2 mandocellos. The leads are plenty long. I've found JJB to be equal in quality to K&K, just a lot cheaper.

http://www.jjb-electronics.com/PPS-200.html

Thanks for the replies Don and Mandobart. I just ordered a JJB and it is an amazing deal. No shipping either!
    I forgot to mention that I wasn't completely sure if a mandolin or guitar pickup was more appropriate for the OM
    since it is an octave lower than a mandolin more like a guitar.

Regards,
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    I've installed JJB twin p'ups in 3 guitars, 2 21" OM's, and 2 mandocellos. The leads are plenty long. I've found JJB to be equal in quality to K&K, just a lot cheaper.

http://www.jjb-electronics.com/PPS-200.html
    I must be missing something, are these $22??

Blog Entries

Yep.
    =============================
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    =============================
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Zamites View Post
    Yep.
    For that price im gonna get these fitted to my om and guitar zouk. Ive read alot of good reviews of these.

Wow...count me in, too. The OP's question is a good one...guitar or mando pickup for OM? Suspect guitar...Bart, which did you use I your OM?
    Chuck

I've used the JJB PPS 200 for quite a few instruments; mandolin, three fiddles, 2 OM's, etc. For the OM's (and almost everything) I use the standard 20 mm heads. On the fiddles I went with the 15 mm heads for bass bar clearance. If you have f holes and tone bars the smaller size may fit better. I've found that mounting the heads inside, right under the bridge feet contact points gives the best sound.

These come with a standard 1/4" jack that is too short to go through most tail blocks. If there's room to go through the sound hole I use a Fishman Switchjack. If not, like on the fiddle f holes, I use a screw-in type jack. Don't ever just mount a jack in the unsupported rib - this thread shows some of the ways I've done it.

I have an OM with a regular K&K Twin Spot in it, not the Mandolin Twin. Not only are the wires longer, but if they actually design those things for frequency ranges, I figure the regular Twin is made for guitars, which is closer to the range of an OM. Anyhow, I really like it. Strong output, sounds great. I have had different brands of piezo pickups in several instruments over the years and I have to say it is the most satisfactory I've used, including some more expensive ones.

I have a K&K Definity on my mandocello. Like it a lot, just had be careful noise from my hand bumping the top.