Thread: Used Martin D-28 Listing

Default Used Martin D-28 Listing

I just saw a 2004 D-28 posted on Elderly.com that is going for $1500 (I know, I'm putting my neck out here if anyone is quicker than me and snags it first). It has 1 back crack and 4 side cracks that have had some repair. According to the details, "back cracks have some finish touchup and light overspray". It looks only slightly noticeable on the back, side ones aren't visible despite all of the photos available. Any thoughts on whether this is a still a good buy or if this should worry someone? I'm no dimwit, but would like to hear the opinion of those more experienced and intelligent on this issue. Thanks.

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/10U-6831.htm
    Last edited by pickgrinlive; Feb-26-2015 at 5:26pm.

Mandolin - Eastman 515 (2006)
    Guitar - Martin DCX1E (2004), American Standard Stratocaster (1998), and others.

Default Re: Used Martin D-28 Listing

i dont think its a particularly good deal considering all the dmg. I got a late 90s d28 for 1500 from a local dealer last year in better condition. Im not sure but i dont think theres any difference between a 90s and a 00s model. Im not saying its a bad deal, or even that its not worth it, but its not a steal imo
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

I have never been fond of the strap button there but, that's neither here nor there. I am usually one to wave the Elderly flag pretty hard but,if your looking for one of these, keep looking, there will be a better one if you wait.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I wouldn't "worry" if the cracks are small and professionally repaired. Not a great price, but most Indian-rosewood 28's I see listed are $1.8K and up w/case, so you're saving a few hundred.

I'd druther an HD-28, but you're talking more buxx. Elderly's a very reputable outfit; give 'em a call and talk it over, they'll usually give you a straight appraisal opinion. Personally, I don't spend over $1K on an instrument I haven't played first, but Elderly has a permissive return policy, I believe.

However, there are gazillions of D-28's around on the market, so I wouldn't consider this a once-in-a-blue-moon bargain.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM