Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Eight Laws of Guitar (& Mandolin) Etiquette

Default The Eight Laws of Guitar (& Mandolin) Etiquette

Probably good general advice ... gods know I've been guilty of a few of these.

The 8 Laws of Guitar Etiquette: Tips for the Store, Relationships and More

1. Stores are for checking out gear, not showcasing your shred.
    2. If people didn’t pay to see you, their conversations come first.
    3. If it’s not your gear, put the settings (and the items) back where they were.
    4. Play in tune.
    5. When sharing a stage, respect the other acts who still need to use it.
    6. Stick around to support the other acts after you play.
    7. Unless you live by yourself on a farm, there are times when you shouldn’t play (loudly).

8. Don't hide your gear purchases.

I might be on a slippery slope here, not only because this is coming from someone with acute gear acquisition syndrome (GAS) who works for Reverb, but let's be honest: transparency about your gear lust is generally the best way to go. If playing music and scouting gear is a huge part of your life, then it should be something you share freely with the people in your life. Let them accept it as a part of who you are. The dark side to this emerges when music becomes a way to block out or hide from other things in your life, when getting a piece of gear becomes a requisite for happiness and an end in itself (rather than using the gear). I'm not saying music shouldn't be an escape from time to time - that is its restorative power - but hiding purchases is a road to more stress than the music you're playing can relieve. You can always sell gear, drop birthday/holiday hints and save up over time if you can't quite stretch it financially right this very moment.
    http://reverb.com/blog/the-8-laws-of-guitar-etiquette

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Petrus For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Eight Laws of Guitar (& Mandolin) Etiquette

This a great post, and as much as I liked the list, the prose below it made me think. I believe in buying what you can pay for and not buying to only burden your future and cause pain and guilt. I agree-- music should be about playing it, though a bit of MAS satisfied is a good thing. The joy of playing (and singing) should be the point. The nicer the instrument the more rewarding, but within reason. A great musician can make any decent instrument sound wonderful. I am appreciative of this well stated posting.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

4. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

"Don't hide your gear purchases" -- but don't brag on them either.

Though an inveterate toy collector, I recognize that music is only partially about the means used to make it. I can respect someone with one old beat-up instrument, who plays music honestly to the best of his/her skill and inspiration, just as much as I can respect one with a Lloyd Loar F-5 worth $200K (though that might be an "old beat-up instrument" as well).

Music is a whole that's greater than the sum of its parts, even if one part's the fascinating world of mandolins.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    "Don't hide your gear purchases" -- but don't brag on them either
    That and laziness are why you don't see a list of my instruments in my posts. ;-)

Since when did we decide there are guitar (and mandolin) etiquette laws? What about banjos? I'll bet you never thought about that did you? Law number nine, there are no rules to govern music, only musicians. We don't need no stink'in guitar (and mandolin etiquette) Feel free to go where the spirit leads, there are no laws in this vast and wondrous land.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudmister For This Useful Post:

Oh dear

#6 isa particular pet peeve of mine. I have a recital this afternoon and I bet once people's kids are thru playing they will up and leave. So rude. We sat thru your child playing, you should sit thru ours as well. Your child will benefit from hearing others and you will tach them a valuable lesson. And if I am playing in a group I always listen to those before and after. Always. I don't care if it is awful or it. It's polite and supportive. It takes a lot to get up and play a piece all u your lonesome and I applaud every single one who does. ☺️

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Violingirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Violingirl View Post
    #6 isa particular pet peeve of mine. I have a recital this afternoon and I bet once people's kids are thru playing they will up and leave. So rude. We sat thru your child playing, you should sit thru ours as well. Your child will benefit from hearing others and you will tach them a valuable lesson. And if I am playing in a group I always listen to those before and after. Always. I don't care if it is awful or it. It's polite and supportive. It takes a lot to get up and play a piece all u your lonesome and I applaud every single one who does. ☺️
    Amen to that. I'm in full agreement.

You can't "legislate" manners, people are going to leave when they have had enough. That's just the way of the world, it's the "I want what I want when I want it" attitude that is becoming so pervasive in society. All the points brought to light in the OP really could be addressed by simply remembering the "golden rule".
    No, not "he who has the gold, makes the rules"
    We are becoming more and more so "self" driven, we lose sight of simple courtesy. We need to return to some stage of civility.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

14. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    Since when did we decide there are guitar (and mandolin) etiquette laws? What about banjos? I'll bet you never thought about that did you? Law number nine, there are no rules to govern music, only musicians. We don't need no stink'in guitar (and mandolin etiquette) Feel free to go where the spirit leads, there are no laws in this vast and wondrous land.
    Cool. Lemme know when your next show is so I can bring my mando and play over you the whole time. 'Cause that's my thing, man.

16. The following members say thank you to Petrus for this post:

Jim 

, not showcasing your ' shred.' for the benefit of earth people, what on earth in this context is a shred ?

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

well it is polite to stay and listen to others, and, yet.....
    it also depends, imho, on the venue and community involved, and, if you play at 7 do you really want to stay until 11 because you "ought to". This is VERY different from a school recital of a child's peers and their parents, imho.

For anyone who's ever been to an open mic/stage, like it or not, more often than not, it about playing your 3-5 tunes and leaving-that's why theres a lottery for play order, if you're first, you have choice as to if you want to hear the guy with the autoharp who yodels.

I think, at some point, right or wrong, or somewhere in between, some of us get tired of other's "Commandments". For example, I have come to accept that if I go the GC on Saturday, I will hear a variety of folks showcasing their playing. If its ok with GC, I think its ok with me.

as for conversations coming first, maybe in a bar and restaurant, but not in a concert hall, open mic or otherwise.

I agree play in tune, always. even on mando.

As for the farm, I disagree, I like my pants flapping from my Marshall dimed (not at night), and my neighbors cannot hear it unless they are very close to the house.

19. The following members say thank you to stevedenver for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    As for the farm, I disagree, I like my pants flapping from my Marshall dimed....
    I'm with you on this one Steve except I don't have a Marshall but, if I did, it would go to 12

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

. . . For anyone who's ever been to an open mic/stage, like it or not, more often than not, it about playing your 3-5 tunes and leaving-that's why theres a lottery for play order, if you're first, you have choice as to if you want to hear the guy with the autoharp who yodels. . . .
    Hey, you should've stuck around. I did Blue Yodel No. 1, Blue Yodel No. 2, Blue Yodel No. 3, and Yodeling Yippie. And I didn't hit a single clam on the autoharp!
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jaycat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Violingirl View Post
    So, so very true Violingirl!
    If I miss one day’s practice, I notice it. If I miss two days’ practice, the critics notice it. If I miss three days’ practice, the public notices it.
    Franz Liszt, 1894

David Diamond did a funny parody, It's Not What I'd Sing When I'm Sober, representing a somewhat inebriated and incompetent "floor singer" at a British pub. A couple lines seem apropos of the last few posts:

"I'm ready to sing, now I've had one or two,
    So you swine in the back needn't head for the loo;
    You can put up with me, as I've put up with you..."

Those open-mic-ers who've drawn the later slots, have sat through your set, presumably politely, applauding regardless of their private opinions of your prowess. There's nothing more forlorn than the last act of the evening, playing for the servers, the open mic host, and a bunch of empty tables. Won't kill ya to stay another hour and give back to them what they've given you.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

25. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Jim 

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    Cool. Lemme know when your next show is so I can bring my mando and play over you the whole time. 'Cause that's my thing, man.
    LOVE it!
    If I miss one day’s practice, I notice it. If I miss two days’ practice, the critics notice it. If I miss three days’ practice, the public notices it.
    Franz Liszt, 1894

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    , not showcasing your ' shred.' for the benefit of earth people, what on earth in this context is a shred ?

Dave H
    What he said.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Hang around and listen to those other acts. Sure it's polite, but you actually might hear something you like. Nice way to meet some like minded people and get invited to some other musical situations. Having been involved with a few Open mic and Music showcase situations we found that there were people who had a following. We tried to spread them out through the night so listeners and players had a reason to come early and stay late ( buy more drinks/food ect) and generally support the event.
    Jim Richmond

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim For This Useful Post:

It all boils down to: Be considerate of others and respect other people's property.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dancing Seahorse For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Seahorse View Post
    It all boils down to: Be considerate of others.
    or expect their ire, as much as you would give if they were inconsiderate of you..
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

For anyone who's ever been to an open mic/stage, like it or not, more often than not, it about playing your 3-5 tunes and leaving-that's why theres a lottery for play order, if you're first, you have choice as to if you want to hear the guy with the autoharp who yodels.
    But it doesn't have to be that way. There are ways to encourage people to stay. The most successful I have seen is an open mic segment sandwiched between two regular sets. It was a regular monthly three set show, with the middle set being the open mic, which took sign ups before the first set, and limited it to two tunes or songs each, up to a half an hour or a little more of music.

If you left, you would miss the third set, which was the second set of the named performer you came to hear.

A variation on this I had some success at a different coffeehouse was when we had a local hero with a big following. I organized with her that she would show up early to do our open mic, but do it last. She would always, agree, because she was an excellent sport. Everyone wanted to hear her sing, so there was always a respectable audience for the entire open mic.

The point is that yes there are always going to be selfish insensitive inconsiderate people, but there are creative things the venue can do to make it a better experience for everyone. Short of locking the doors.

The entire staff
    funny....

34. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    We don't need no stink'in guitar (and mandolin etiquette) Feel free to go where the spirit leads, there are no laws in this vast and wondrous land.
    Hudmister I don't mean you, of course.

But with a little re-branding, I think these, and other "etiquette rules" could be acceptable to even the most libertarian of us. Instead of looking at them as laws or rules, look at them as a list of the first things to consider when it seems everyone hates you. Which, in the land of no rules they have every right to do.

The entire staff
    funny....

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    It's the guitar version of the long mando break in BG. Here's Steve Vai "shredding" for about eight minutes (w/about 1 minute of lyrics, iirc.)

2 countries separated by a common language.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

3. If it’s not your gear, put the settings (and the items) back where they were.
    4. Play in tune.
    If you tune an instrument that does not belong to you it is OK to leave it in tune.