Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: 1924 F-5 Master Model Mandolin

Default Re: 1924 F-5 Master Model Mandolin

Trust me, finding rare "grail" instruments still does happen. My advice for the best results would be to keep looking, don't stop looking, and always be looking.

Phil

2. The following members say thank you to goaty76 for this post:

Blog Entries

I am fairly confident I will never come across a fine instrument accidently.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by goaty76 View Post
    Trust me, finding rare "grail" instruments still does happen. My advice for the best results would be to keep looking, don't stop looking, and always be looking.

Phil
    I agree, Phil, stuff is still out there. In fact, I am living proof that it is. Doesn't happen every day, but I still look every day. I have a really long list of stuff that I bought for under $50 and sold for $3000. That is over many years and includes instruments, watches, cameras, records. What has eluded me, however, is the holy grail stuff--a Loar, a prewar D-45, etc.

Of course, it is all a matter of perspective. I'm looking not for just a bargain or good deal, I'm looking for a "gift". I've spent countless hours, probably totally years, in fact, hunting down those deals. If I ever find one, my payment as an hourly rate would be pennies, of course. But, it is research that I enjoy doing, and that is the "real" hobby.

OTOH, it could well be argued that just finding one of these instruments for sale--at any price--is in fact an opportunity. Of course, you have to have your money ready to act on such an opportunity. The internet age we live in is perfect for this. In fact, the selection of vintage instruments for sale has never been better, IMHO. Not cheaper, just a better selection.

5. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    But, it is research that I enjoy doing, and that is the "real" hobby.
    That's great. I like that.

The internet age we live in is perfect for this. In fact, the selection of vintage instruments for sale has never been better, IMHO. Not cheaper, just a better selection.
    If anything, I would think the internet has increased prices, because it has eliminated regional markets and bargains for those willing to road trip.

I would guess the only regional markets that exist now are when the antique object (instrument, clock, furniture, whatever) has a regional interest, was made locally or related somehow to a local hero. And that generally raises the price.

A friend of mine was able to buy an old painting of two cute Dalmation puppies in a fireman's helmet at great price because there was little global interest. But she tracked down the insignia on the shield of the hat to an existing fire department 1000 miles away and was able to sell them the painting at a profit.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Canoedad View Post
    Now we're just trolling ourselves
    I skimmed back over this thread again I remain a skeptical as ever - -I will be surprised if any new Loar-signed F-5 has been up covered. Of course it would be very cool to find out that I am wrong too.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

"That's why it's called "fishing" not, " catching!"
    I will keep fishing those yard sales and so on until I have a garage full of "stuff".....wait, I already have a garage full of "stuff!"
    Oh, well
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

So, is this mandolin now on the classified ads?

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/86147

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    So, is this mandolin now on the classified ads?

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/86147
    Don't think so. 75700 is a known one in the archives, and the newly discovered one has a weird SN. http://www.mandolinarchive.com/gibson/serial/75700
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

Anything ever come to the surface regarding this instrument?

Blog Entries

Not that I know of? But a year or so ago a Loar "Floorsweep" surfaced, it had late 20's parts like later tuners a 27 style Flowerpot, a Guarantee label not a MM label-no Loar sig. but a Feb.18th 24 serial#! Looked to be very early 30's finish. I should've made a note of the FON#! So I don't know that ones story-did it get busted up and re-done by Gibson? It had a great Loar type sound when I played it but different! I had more ?'s so I passed on it as it was just too wrong for the $! For sure an interesting piece!