Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious

Unhappy

I am not a fan of rock or rap. Those are two genres that dont float my boat.
    Bluegrass, jazz, classical, irish, country, thats for me.
    Anyway what rock bands that are somewhat noticable actually have a mando in them? This is something i have been dying to know.

There is one exception though. I do like the Beach Boys pretty well.

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

here.
    Understand your leanings, but in todays music world, well, the sky's the limit.
    My main bands are eastern european to appalachian (if we credit guitar, Cajun too). I play bluegrass, but the competition is fierce and I'm hoping to rise above the pack someday.
    I truly enjoy rocking out, freaking out the sound person, and mystifying the fans.We do originals, and one select cover per/year.
    All done on an acoustic F.
    Is it the drums? I've worked with many a drummer. Most don't cut it for me. But some listen, some one can play off of, and some can be a delight to call and response with, etc.
    If you get the chance, give it a try.
    rasa

Rasa, I've found that banjo players and drummers are an aweful lot alike.

Yes they are both really loud. But only one sounds good to me. Banjo.

I dont like much drums except in jazz and swing stuff. Drums played very loud seems quiet annoying.

But i guess country has drums in it and i listen to plenty of it as well.

In Illinois, halfway between here and there.

Actually there are a number of drummers or former drummers who are mandolin players, there was a thread on this a while back, but the only one I can remember was Levon Helm (and myself, not exactly in the same league). I think rhythm mandolin is far closer to drumming than banjo is, despite the whole banjo / drum head similarity thing.
    Ken.
    Peace

Not too many people have actually answered my question. I think the explanation is self explanatory. And i wont say any more about it.

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by
    Not too many people have actually answered my question. I think the explanation is self explanatory. And i wont say any more about it.
    --------------
    Mike Fisher, Site Author
    Mike, what is it exactly are you implying? That nobody in the rock genre uses mandos? That seems to be my take on it.

However, the fact is that there have been plenty of threads on folks like Led Zep, Jethro Tull, Byrds, Levon Helm and others, as well as the quite recent Bands With Mandos (see link in my 1st response). Maybe it's not surprising that there's not overwhelming response, especially when you kick it off with "I am not a fan of rock or rap. Those are two genres that dont float my boat." (And "This is something i have been dying to know." has a touch of possible sarcasm to it.)

And then it's "I hate drums". Just cause you play "bluegrass" (a drumless genre), do you automatically think that you are going to feel comfortable with the numerous grooves you'll find in rock, when musically, it could be described as a different language?

If you want to slam rock n roll and/or go on about how awful an instrument drum kits are, why not do it in the Bluegrass area of the Cafe (where I'm sure there will be plenty of agreement)? That's fine with me; it is the BG area where the grassers can air whatever prejudices and preferences you all have... over there. I think that's why Scott subdivided the board into different genre sections anyway; to keep the genre-wars at a minimum.

But, "didn't your mama teach you any manners?" Are you gonna visit an Italian-American home (where the wife or mom is fixing dinner) and start up on how tomatos and garlic are lousiest tasting culinary ingredients, and that Italian food in general would be improved with the substitution of Texas-style BarBQ sauce?

Personally, I love playing with a good drummer; much more than I would playing with either a good 3-finger-style banjo player or a good flatpicking guitarist. Just bass & drums works for me. I feel quite confortable in that musical ecosystem. #And, playing with a bad musician, whatever the instrument, is usually a less-than-pleasurable experience.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(BTW I've been known to do all three (bass/drums/mando) instruments simultaneously, in Frankenstein makeup to boot, as The Transylvania Sound Machine. And that is a fact.)</span>

If you want to find out more concerning mando-usage in ROCK, check can out the discography databases at Yahoo Groups: RockMando

Niles Hokkanen
    <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>The Skull & Crossbones on my mandos' headstocks are there for a reason!</span>

Woah Woah mandocrucian i was not trying to cause such a riot here. I was just thinking that not many rock bands have mandolin pickers. Which when i started the topic i was thinking that anyway. Im not putting the tock genre down by any means. Even though that is not really in my taste.

My final statement ment that i see that not many rock artist have mando pickers. There was no intent to bash anyone or anything.

But sorry if you felt that way.

My apologies Mike, and Niles. I brought the drum issue up. But, to some extent, it's there. I find rock drummers (and many blues drummers) very tuned in to bass and to a lesser degree (or more - example, although stretching both those genres past their bursting point, #Johnny A and his #band) guitar. Also a rock band can push a drummer hard to be extra strong, to severe, in attack and volume. Nowadays, some sound people are apt to set the stage level around the kick and assorted drum mics (for better or worse). It seems a bit outdated, but never the less, it's a hangover from the past. #Mandolin requires many a drummer (and band, AND techs, #to move on creatively.
    And creatively is the word here. Not as easy (or common) as horns. I worked with one who could hear it in his mind, asked for it, but when push came to shove, he couldn't really focus enough to follow thru with any consistancy nite to nite. Cues became a problem. A great drummer and individual, but his heart was not in this band #(sometimes a key ingredient!) One of Seattle's best and I miss him dearly, although our current is a treat - she has considerable humility as well as chops. She listens carefully. What more can I ask?
    I am an historian at heart. I would love to play in a band that can capture originals of the past and give them the respect they deserve all the while making them relevant in the moment. I have not been lucky enough to find that situation in rock. Rather I entered the domain of original, and constantly evolving, rock. Not jam band, per say, but rather arrangements that are developed, resolved, presented, #shelved, resurrected, etc. for major gigs/goals. Three of us songwriters and a few dedicated support musicians. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but the songs stay remarkably relevant and fresh.
    It's been a great experience, Mike, and I do suggest you explore one or a few of the many faces of rock. Take this from a traditional and acoustic diehard. It makes me grow tremendously as a musician to enter these lesser known (to me) realms.
    As Niles said, this has been discussed as to WHO in the big time is using mandolin, but I just wanted to get the discussion down to a more small time level as means of educative encouragement.

rasa
    Earth Colony

If you don't want to sift through the link, maybe I can give you a quick "greatist hits."
    Rock Bands (or close relatives) that have used a mandolin:
    The Band, Led Zepplin (had a decent drummer to boot)

More recent rock bands with mandolin:
    Shooglenifty (sort of celtic rock), Carbon Leaf, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphy, Rusted Root, Col. Bruce Hampton and The Aquarium Rescue Unit, Blue Merle, The new Dave Matthews album will feature their regular fiddle player, Boyd Tinsley playing electric mandolin.
    Thats 10 bands off the top of my head. I know their are many more, such as Fairport Convention that deserve recognition. There are many other rock artists that have used a mandolin for effect or color. I will admit that I am more familiar with recent artists, but the above list will keep you (hopefully) out of trouble with the rock police (like the bluegrass police, just with 80% more tattooing and piercing).
    Northfield Artist Series F5 (2 bar, Adirondack)

Oh, yeah, String Cheese Incident uses a bit of mandolin from time to time.

Thanks guys. Very interesting stuff. And no apology is nessacary Rasa. You didnt start anything. Just a small debate is all.

Heh,

I've been through the gamut, from Death Metal to Bluegrass. I have a VERY open ear.

My "rock" band had a mandolin until I quit, because they didn't like the word 'country' (even when preceeded by the 'alt'). I was writing a bit of material, but really didn't like "dumbing it down" or hiding what I was trying to become. I like drummers, as they are under-appreciated in the musical world - just like mandolinists. I really LOVE percussionists, because they have a sensitivity that is second to none in the beat keeping circles. I was also a jazz player for awhile, so I know what they're capable of. Not to mention that drums were undoubtedly the roots of all music - beating on logs and what not pretty much created rhythm. I'm a sucker for roots music

I'm mostly on the outlaw outskirts of country, as I don't like being told what to think or play. If I want to incorporate techniques I learned as guitarist from Iron Maiden, I don't like being told it doesn't fit. I don't regret my days as a rock guitarist, it taught me most of what I know. Music is what you make it, and, honestly, the sky is the limit.

It's ok to be focused on a genre, yeah, but some of us do look beyond that sanctified horizon of expectations. I don't think Slayer and Bill Monroe are as different as everyone thinks. Heck, it's only music. And music is only one of the most potent tools for change. Think about it...

Dave
    1984 Flatiron A5-2
    1930 (?) Regal Tenor

Toil without song is like a weary journey without an end.
    H. P. Lovecraft

Personally I'd love to hear Chris Thile jamming with the Dave Matthews Band...But my rocj band also has mando in it, but not for all songs...still, we are finding it more and more useful...
    PeacE
    Brian

Blue Moon of Kentucky keep on shining, shine on......

Mike, just come on back over to the Bluegrass section and leave the rockers alone. Don't get them all riled up or we'll end up having a big mosh pit going on.

And we know what happens when the mosh pit flares up.

I don't know of any rock bands that use a full time mandolin. But I have seen many rock bands use a mandolin. The last two mandolins I have seen in concert that were not in a Bluegrass setting were Bruce Springsteen and REM.

Just wanted to add, I picked up a Decemberists CD and they use a mandolin in a few spots. Not sure what you were getting at when you asked your question... Maybe that the mandolin isn't the full time axe of rockers.

M@ñdº|¡ñ - M@ñdºce||º Keith Erickson's Avatar

Does anyone remember "The Hooters" from back in the late 80's. #There well selling album had some success back in the day. #In fact I remember they played a gig at Bergen Community College in Paramus, New Jersey in 1988. #I remember being stunned that they were playing BCC instead of Brendan Byrna Arena since they were on heavy rotation on stations like Z-100 in NYC. #
    Keith Erickson
    Benevolent Organizer of The Mandocello Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by (bjc @ April 16 2005, 09:00)
    Personally I'd love to hear Chris Thile jamming with the Dave Matthews Band
    Hear here, that would be something to behold! I'm attempting to add mandoling to my rock band right now. It's an interesting experience, but it really does add another dimension to the music.

And then I bought an electric mando and kicked on the distortion...Whoa Nilly...
    On a note related to the original question Boyd is playing some electric mando on the New Dave Matthews album that is coming out in May.
    PeacE
    Brian

Here's one for ya. Blind Melon has a mando on their album. Song 6, I think. I've listened to that album a million times and never heard it until two days ago. I was so excited to hear it, I'll have to listen another million....

On that note, anyone seen the tab on that?
    Collings MT #800

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd have to concur with the observation that drummers in general key into the bass frequencies more, and that's probably for justifiable acoustic reasons.
    That may be the source of conflict, and bad experiences I've had with Rock drummers. I've envisioned the mandolin in the treble "fill" role. Several drummers I've worked with thought that was their role, too, only 110% of the time! We end up fighting for those gaps of silence, and unfortunately, it's the audience that loses.
    I also contend the percussive (chop) qualities inherent in the mandolin work will in a percussion role, but only if the drummer is willing to work together, cooperate rather than compete.
    My dream acoustic ensemble would include a djembe rather than drumset, something to lend texture and establish groove, verses dominate by filling in all the "blanks."
    Niles, it sounds to me like you've worked with some considerate, tasteful drummers, and I envy you for that.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by (bjc @ April 23 2005, 07:32)
    ...Boyd is playing some electric mando on the New Dave Matthews album that is coming out in May.
    Any idea who the elec mando maker is?

On "American Baby" which looks like its going to be the first cut off of the new album, Boyd is playing a frettless 4 string.