Thread: Mobile Version vs. App version of Mandolin Cafe

Default Mobile Version vs. App version of Mandolin Cafe

I recently entered the 21st century and switched over to an iPhone. Of course, I need my daily fix of the Mandolin Cafe. I downloaded the app to start but found that in terms of the forum, the mobile version of the site seems to work better.

However, one problem is that when I open a thread from an email alert it opens up the mobile version, but I always have to log in anew. The app seems to remember my login but not the mobile version.

Please advise.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mobile Version vs. App version of Mandolin Cafe

Don't recommend using Forum Runner if that's the app you've downloaded. It's no longer maintained and there are some serious technical problems with it. Unfortunate, but the company that created it has apparently abandoned all support and bug fixes. As far as not remembering the login I'd have to assume maybe you haven't checked the "Remember Me" option when you originally logged in. If you are checking that option and still having issues I'd have to research that separately. Haven't experienced that myself and have not had any reports of that occuring.

Also, I'd think you'd want to check your settings in Safari which is the native browser: Settings > Safari > Block Cookies > Allow from Websites I Visit. The latter is for iPhone 5. v6 may be different.

I just realized you may be talking about the Cafe app itself. That hasn't been maintained in several years and really doesn't offer a lot of functionality you can't get through the regular browser. I don't even have it installed on my phone which should give you an indication of its importance to the site. One of our members created that and did a lot of work in the process as a project to learn how to create apps. It's good for a few things but the mobile version of the Forum is much better.

Thanks, Scott, for the clarification. Yes the app is the Cafe one. I will check settings for the mobile version.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hi Scott: Safari was set to :"Allow from Websites I Visit and I always check the "Remember Me" option when logging in.

In fact, I was logged in a few minutes ago. I just went back to my phone and checked in Safari the mobile site and it asked me to log in once again.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Hi Scott: Safari was set to :"Allow from Websites I Visit and I always check the "Remember Me" option when logging in.

In fact, I was logged in a few minutes ago. I just went back to my phone and checked in Safari the mobile site and it asked me to log in once again.
    Sounds like a cookie problem to me. Do you have cookies disabled? Login status is normally maintained as an encrypted cookie in most web apps. But having just checked your profile you probably knew all that, so nevermind :D