Thread: "1904 Gibson mandolin" in Classifieds

Default "1904 Gibson mandolin" in Classifieds

This mandolin's owner, Erika, has posted an ad inviting some feedback on her mandolin. She wants to know what it's worth:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/84628

Instead of carrying out this discussion via responses to the ad, it's much better that we discuss it here in a public thread where everyone can benefit from the information.

This mandolin is from later than 1904; it has features that do not appear on Gibson mandolins from that decade. There isn't enough evidence in the blurry photo to be certain, but it appears to be an A2 from between 1911 and 1914. It appears to be in good condition and have its original case and hardware, except that the pickguard has been partially cut away over the soundhole, and there's some object in the corner where the bridge meets the pickguard that wasn't there originally.

More photos that are in focus, including photos of the back, sides, endpin, neck, and headstock front and back, would help us evaluate the condition. If you can post the serial number (written on the label) and factory order number (stamped inside the mandolin on the neck block), that'll help us date it more precisely.

A very preliminary estimate, assuming it really is an A2 and is in great shape except for the pickguard cut, would put its value at around $1100, but that's subject to change pending further information.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

2. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Default Re: "1904 Gibson mandolin" in Classifieds

Oops. I just sent her message saying it probably wasn't from 1904 and more likely the teens. I agree with everything you posted above and while I feel that value you put on it is pretty right on it might not be a quick sell. There are just so many of them out there.

Phil

Default Re: "1904 Gibson mandolin" in Classifieds

There are not that many A-2's. Retail prices for excellent condition teen plain A's without a case are up to $1300. I'd put the value up to at least $1300-$1500 with the nice case. Perhaps a bit more in a brick and mortar shop. That's assuming it is as nice as the somewhat fuzzy photo indicates...very nice finish, no cracks, straight neck etc.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616