Thread: Online classical mandolin lessons

Default Online classical mandolin lessons

I searched the forum and didn't find this so I apologize if it's been asked before. I am wondering if there are any good teachers who do classical mandolin lessons via Skype. I have been teaching myself for several years and would be considered intermediate I think (I read music easily in the first position, for example) and I have used video lessons and books to learn, but I often find it difficult to pace myself and keep focus. (One week I'll decide to work on tremolo, the next I decided to work on the fifth position, etc.) Having a teacher might force me to be more disciplined in my approach but I live out in the boonies so there are no mandolin teachers around, let alone classical mandolin. There are lots of mandolin players who give lessons online and purport to teach all styles but I'd would rather work with someone who specializes in classical. Any recommendations?

Laurie

Default Re: Online classical mandolin lessons

First of all, you can contact teachers thru the lesson section of the classifieds.

Among the classical teachers listed there: Keith Harris, Chris Acquavella

Carlo Aonzo also teaches via Skype.

Actually those three give you three different approaches to teaching, tho I am sure there are others out there.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I highly recommend the three mandolin masters that Jim mentions. There are quite a few more. I know Mike Marshall teaches online, I'm pretty sure that Joe Brent does also. The Mandolin Journal (the newsletter of the Classical Mandolin Society of America) has a page full of teachers (around 30) listed at the back of every issue. I suspect that many of them would teach online if asked.

If I had to pick one person to try first I would check out my old friend Keith Harris at
    www.mandolin-lessons.com. I'm pretty sure that he offers two free lessons at the start and I've spoken with people who really like his approach.

Everyone has different preferences though and you might like another teacher's approach better. It's truly amazing that there are so many gifted teachers available to any of us who have online access. We can study with some of the best players in the world from the comfort of our own homes.

Good luck with your search.

John G.

I take Skype lessons with Chris Acquavella and can recommend him.

Blog Entries

If I am not mistaken Caterina Lichtenberg gives lessons via Mike Marshall's ArtistWorks.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....