Thread: Who builds Lafferty mandolin family instruments?

F-style Apostate

Default Who builds Lafferty mandolin family instruments?

Was this mystery ever solved, or is it still a big-deal secret?

Default Re: Who builds Lafferty mandolin family instruments?

Don't know but they are generally good sounding the ones made in USA. Some of the chinese made have horrid finishing.

I don't know if it is correct, but I recall seeing something that said Paul Schneider, builder of Summit mandolins, might be the maker behind the Laffertys.

Not much of a mystery anymore. The flat tops are built by Jim Wilson of Red Valley. Carved USA models are either Paul Schneider of Summit or Audey Ratliff, depending on model. The Asian ones are rebranded Eastmans.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Dennis told me the builders name when I bought mine, but I didn't recognize the name and so it didn't stick. Went in one ear and out the other. But he said the builder was here in Tennessee. It wasn't Audey Ratliff, since I knew his name. So maybe it was Paul Schneider.

I'll tell you one thing, this is a really very good mandolin. I wanted American made that was quality and affordable and sounds and plays great. My Lafferty hit all the marks. I live close to Gruhns and Carters, so I am always playing the high end instruments and this Lafferty is from what I base all comparisons. I tell you what, it holds it's own pretty darn well.

I just put some DR MD-11 strings on it and recently I replaced frets with Evo Gold. It kicks butt.

F-style Apostate

Thanks for the update. When they first came out, the secrecy around that was almost like a matter of national security. In general, they look like nice instruments, and I've been hankering for a Lafferty octave mando.

If it's an octave you want, they are flat tops and made by Jim Wilson, who also sells them under his Red Valley brand.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I recommend to listen to mandolinstore soundclips, I like them better then Gibsons for example

Ratliff made my Lafferty. I love this mandolin. I used to have an Eastman and the pop and tone from this Lafferty puts all of my past mandolins to shame.

I use a slight medium gauge string set on mine and nearly every show we do someone comes up afterwards and asks about it.